It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Friendly reminder: The U.S. is a REPRESENTATIVE Democracy, NOT a direct democracy

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

The president is head of state.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

We cant due to the complications of government and the ignorance of the masses.

That would be utter chaos.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Yes, absolutely!

We don't even elect the heads of state, the electoral college chooses the heads of state.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Unity_99
And they have to obey constitution and the will of the people, as the system is not a corporation, legally, and we're not slaves who elect a king.

(15) “United States” means— (A) a Federal corporation;

www.law.cornell.edu...

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

We cant due to the complications of government and the ignorance of the masses.

That would be utter chaos.

It's utter chaos now, the media just lies to us to make things seem better. For example the caucuses and primaries on both sides where delegates are just seemingly given to whichever candidate, the democratic shenanigans.

It would just be much better with a direct democracy. The two party system is what's keeping us in ignorance.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Our representatives vote on laws. The people elect heads of state.

No.
The states elect the president. There is no verbiage in the Constitution which says the people do.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the state's electoral votes are decided by a vote of the people of the state.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Unfortunately....

You're expecting the average american citizen to think beyond the limited palate of pablum their fed.

Thinking for one's self has become "kinky"....and not something the vast majority of the public feel.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Yeah, you're wrong.

It's like the delegates.

en.wikipedia.org...

Edit: www.archives.gov...

Essentially, the are supposed to vote who the people voted for, but laws vary state by state and if there is no majority, the house of reps decides the president.
edit on 17-5-2016 by GodEmperor because: edit

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Double post
edit on 17-5-2016 by GodEmperor because: dp

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: GodEmperor

(15) “United States” means—
(A) a Federal corporation;
(B) an agency, department, commission, board, or other entity of the United States; or
(C) an instrumentality of the United States.

Context is important. The Chapter you have selectively cited is 176: FEDERAL DEBT COLLECTION PROCEDURE.

The definition is provided the clarify what is being referred to when "United States" is used within the Chapter. It does not say the United States is a corporation, it says that the term "United States" means any of those three things in the context of the chapter.

What is a Federal corporation then?

To assist Congress in its oversight activities, this report provides an overview of the government
corporation as an administrative model. As defined in this report, a government corporation is a
government agency that is established by Congress to provide a market-oriented public service
and to produce revenues that meet or approximate its expenditures. By this definition, currently
there are 17 government corporations.

fas.org...

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Correct me if I am wrong, but the state's electoral votes are decided by a vote of the people of the state.
No. They are decided by the electoral delegates. There is no requirement that delegates follow the popular vote of the state.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Call it whatever you want, the system is totally f*cked.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   

I am 200% against a direct democracy.

In fact the only thing i think that can truly work is a constitutionally enforced dictatorship ruled by a mythical archetypal king figure whos good and honest.

Thats besides the point and irrelevant to our world because it doesnt and cant exist, so this is the best weve got.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   

No. They are decided by the electoral delegates. There is no requirement that delegates follow the popular vote of the state.

And thats my point.

We come to an agreement Phage, rare it is.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Democracy is based on the assumption that a million men are wiser than one man. How's that again? I missed something. Autocracy is based on the assumption that one man is wiser than a million men. Let's play that over again too. Who decides?

- R. A. Heinlein

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Well,

Potentially one man can be wiser than a million more often than 1 million can be wiser than the man right?

Who would you bet on after your knowledge of history and the (assuming) 50+ years of experience with humans?

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Want to vote on it?

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   

After further review, It appears you are correct.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   

No, i want to bet on it.

I work in potentials and probabilities
edit on 5/17/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Depends on who the one man is.

I would hope a million people with 200 IQ are wiser than one man with IQ 80.... I would hope...

In certain contexts, you mean when the United States is taking your money, they are a corporation.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join