It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[ACF2016] The Spider Lord

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Non-Writer
The Spider Lord
by Kaelci

The chalice Jonathon held was filled with the finest white wine available, an irregularity considering his birth and station in life, but it had taken little effort and the liquid had been well liberated, indeed! With a smirk on his face he held the chalice gently, lightly swishing the liquid ‘round and ‘round before taking the first delightful sip. Savouring the fruity flavours, he peered over the chalice’s edge and quietly stared at those who had seated themselves with him.

He did not know who these people were and remained uncertain as to why they were there, he had simply lit this fire and was preparing to settle down for the night when they had approached uninvited; their company was undesired.

Lightly he thumbed the stem of the chalice, his glinting eyes inspecting those who surrounded his fire, a mischief manifesting within as his agile mind determined what was to be. He smiled warmly and greeted the people while his hand continued to swish his wine around; a woman, a man, and a young boy. Perhaps they wanted him to believe that they were family? Appearances could be deceiving, he knew that better than most.

Pleasantries were exchanged and his smile remained warm as he gestured toward the nearby lake, a waterfall gently cascading down the rocks. “There is a specific reason I made camp here this night, good fellows…” His glinting eyes reflecting the flames of the fire. “Pray tell, have you heard the story of… Azothinne?”

The young boy instantly spoke, delight apparent across his brow, his eyes sparkling and his voice conveying childish tones of excitement. “Oh yes, mister! They say he was a giant spider lord! Huge and scary! A trio of witches brought him down… but… they were never heard from again…”

Jonathon grinned at the young boy, a vague 'knowing' quickly coming to mind, and instantly he ignored the two adults who sat by the lad’s side. “Yes, young man. But… there is more to the tale, if you wish to hear it.”

The boy’s eyes shone bright with his excitement. “Oh yes! Please mister!”

Draining the last of the wine from his chalice, he carefully placed it by his feet and leant his elbow upon his knee, a warmth flowing through his veins as the wine’s essence began its work, his mischief transforming into faint malevolence as he prepared to tell his tale. These people, sitting uninvited by his fire, it was apparent that they had no idea… none!

He looked into the woman’s eyes, and then the man’s, and finally he settled his gaze on the young boy once more. “It was by this very lake, many years ago… you see, behind yonder waterfall there lies an intricate network of caves; ‘twas here that Azothinne had made his lair. Indeed, he was giant… the stories that speak of the spider lord make him out to be ten feet in height! Though I know otherwise.” He sent the boy a wink, rubbing his chin thoughtfully between a thumb and finger.

“The spider lord was three times the size of a man, approaching nineteen feet! Venom dripped from his fangs! His many eyes could hypnotise you, he could force you to do his bidding, or simply, he could lull you into the endless sleep where he would feast upon you for weeks! Slowly draining your life’s blood as you lay there helpless.”

A morbid cheer began to surface within Jonathon as he watched the young boy’s eyes grow wider and wider with every word that he spoke, the lad seemed completely entranced by the tale he was spinning. But alas, it was no mere tale… every word that he was speaking was true. And they would see… oh yes, they would see…

The boy spoke to him, a breathlessness evident. “Mister… how do you know?”

He ignored the boy’s question. These people… they need not know such things. The fact that he had been born to one of the witches who had slain the creature had nothing to do with this story. Jonathon shook his head, his eyes darkening as he gazed at the boy. “This lord of the spiders, Azothinne, unbeknownst to many, also had hundreds of children. Perhaps thousands! I believe that one of Azothinne’s children has grown into a new spider lord, and is residing about this area as we speak.”

Words rose from the woman who had sat there silently until this moment, her sweet voice positively furious. “How dare you!? You sit here, frightening this child with such blatant falsities. The spider lord has lain dead for hundreds of years! His clutch no more!”

Jonathon smiled a smile most mocking as his glinting eyes focussed on the angry woman. Swiftly he raised his arms into the air and the fire’s flames whooshed taller, the blaze glowing yellower than before, a thunderous boom echoing about them as the flames rose ever higher. The woman shrank back from him and silently buried her face into the man’s shoulder, the man not seeming to notice, he simply sat there mesmerised and stared into the flames, the boy’s eyes round with wonderment as he breathed. “Woah, mister! Can you do that again?”

Chuckling softly, Jonathon shook his head. “I could, but I will not. Now. I was speaking of Azothinne’s children…” the light of the flames brightened his face considerably, and he knew that his malevolent smile was clear as day, though he also knew that it did not matter. The time… it had come… evident by the stillness in which the man sat.

He climbed to his feet and clapped his hands sharply three times. The flames of the fire disappeared and all was silent but for the trickles from the nearby waterfall. He closed his eyes and counted to ten, clapping his hands once more as he reached the double digit number. The campfire whooshed back to life! The man and woman lay upon the ground, their eyes staring sightlessly… they would speak no words again. Only he and the boy remained, the boy’s eyes glistening ruby red as they stared at Jonathon.

Jonathon smiled knowingly and performed a small bow. “I greet you, child of Azothinne. I do not wish your death, I came here to find you, perchance to have you travel by my side."

The boy's ruby coloured eyes gazed thoughtfully up at Jonathon for several minutes before he lightly nodded his head, his eyes slowly returning to a more human colour, shining brightly as they reflected the fire. "You do not fear me?"

With a shake of his head, Jonathon sat by his campfire once more, casually refilling his chalice with his purloined wine. "Not at all, dear child, not at all." And gestured for the spider child to be seated again. He had plans for this offspring of Azothinne... oh, yes.
edit on 16 5 2016 by kaelci because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: kaelci

Kaelci is a ghostwriter..

And in my opinion should be moved to the writer category
edit on 16-5-2016 by PanPiper because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Really good story!!! S/F

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: PanPiper
One of these days!! lol, thanks.

a reply to: Quantum12
Cheers Sir Q

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   

You already been inside my head once

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   

That was indeed brilliant. Like the intro to a fantasy epic.
Reminds me of some Peter Beagle novels S&F

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Giant talking spiders! I think I just pooed myself.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: coven83
Thank you!
Glad you liked it
I've never read any Peter Beagle myself, will have to investigate.

a reply to: Skid Mark
That's one way to keep the spiders away!!

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaelci
Non-Writer
The Spider Lord
by Kaelci

Non-writer? Pfft!
Not for long!!!

It was fantastic! Truly!
Love me some spiders (I know!)

I want the story to go on...

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 02:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

I can only hope, I saw what people were capable of in that last contest! Lol

Thanks

The story will kiiiiiiind of go on in the Shed at least
in the "past context"... the.. ahh.. three witches Sir Jonathon here speaks of will be descending into the lair of Azothinne shortly, much to Sita's chagrin haha.

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   
you created the atmosphere so well !
the story just flowed and I was spooked by it. Spiders are not my favourite creature but I enjoyed your sort very much

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Loved it! Great storytelling. I was drawn in immediately.

AB

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

I loved her story and was also drawn in righ away!

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Fabulous writing!! You definitely deserve 'writer' status hunny.

I hate spiders though...am totally grossed out...and shuddering uncontrollably.
S&F
jacy

posted on May, 17 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: cosmickat
a reply to: AboveBoard
a reply to: The Dragon Queen, and Owner of Ferrets

Thank you everyone
I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm not a huge fan of spiders either, *shudder*, but they're always good for creepiness!

Muahahha

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Bravo dear B!

What is it about spiders that creeps people out?? LOL

Your writers status is surely on its way this time!

Well Done You!

Gx

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer

I really enjoyed her story and she is on her way for sure!!!

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer

Thank you!

As for the spiders and their creepiness factor... I'm not sure what it is! I live down under, home of the creepy crawlies! And yet one of those eight-legged things runs past me and just, no, never, burn! LOL. I'm fine with snakes and the like, but, *shudder* spiiiddeeerrrrsss.

top topics

join