It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

would you ever just dig a bunker and live in that?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Would you ever just dig a bunker out in the middle of the woods and live in that? Like basically live off grid like a hermit? I think it would be a pretty cheap way to live, and the soil is very good insulation both in terms of heating, and keeping cool in the summer. Then just sort of create some basic preps in there like some hard-tac for a rainy day. Then in the event of a shtf scenario you'd be perfectly okay right? I was thinking this was kinda a good idea based on the world geopolitical climate. My thought was it's not as if you'd have to built it all overnight. Just chip away at it slowly. Just do a few feet at a time until eventually you'd have your hide out in place. What do you think of this idea?

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: lavatrance

why not build an entire series of bunkers across a large nation - all inter connected by top seckrit tunnels you can drive your van down - and just live in your van IN your bunker [ cuts down on bunker infrastructure at each location ] - perfect solution - they will never pinpoint your location

edit to add - the bunkers would obviously be under the woods [ where you keep your trap lines ] and the conecting tunnels would have a link to your gold mine

any thing i missed ?
edit on 16-5-2016 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 12:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
any thing i missed ?

It has to be down by the river

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Yeah that would be a fun hangout spot.

Just don't forget to read up on radon and fresh air ventilation.. Which is mandatory imo.
Nasty, heavy gasses can sink into it and poison or displace good air.
Doubly so with a generator operating.

Also check the water table in the area.
Also prob need to pump sewage up and out with sewage pump to septic.

A lot of expense to make a livable area. I would opt for an a-frame cabin.

No constant ground mold stank on your clothes, like you live in a basement, AND someone may want to pay you for it if you go a different direction.

Google some of the bunker builder services. They cost more than a house.
You can also mod and bury shipping containers

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Are you on "the lam"???

Buckets, vans, bunkers??

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Let's just dig all the way down close to Earth's core, and live on the sandy beaches feeling the warmth of Earth's inner sun.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 01:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: lavatrance
Would you ever just dig a bunker out in the middle of the woods and live in that? Like basically live off grid like a hermit? I think it would be a pretty cheap way to live, and the soil is very good insulation both in terms of heating, and keeping cool in the summer. Then just sort of create some basic preps in there like some hard-tac for a rainy day. Then in the event of a shtf scenario you'd be perfectly okay right? I was thinking this was kinda a good idea based on the world geopolitical climate. My thought was it's not as if you'd have to built it all overnight. Just chip away at it slowly. Just do a few feet at a time until eventually you'd have your hide out in place. What do you think of this idea?

Actually, there was a time when I did, essentially, just that.
Now that I have something to bring to the table (to "be the change that I want to see!"), to withhold it would be selfish, and that isn't who I Am at the moment.
There certainly comes a time for us to dwell in the 'silent places', to walk in the 'outer darkness' where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth...

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I keep digging my whole deeper eventually I am going to come out the other side, why stop at a bunker? I see like if I # up im going to # up all the way to the top or dig my grave to the other side.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 02:26 AM
link   

You could live under a bridge, too.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 02:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

You could live under a bridge, too.

Like a troll? lol

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Problem with bunker is that when do you come out. How do you know there is no one standing 20 m away looking at you when you emerge?

So you need a periscope but again, how do you someone is not looking right at you when it comes up out of the ground. So you need to plant a bush on top of 'check out the scene' point so one can see you when first emerge.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 04:05 AM
link   

I would rather build a bunker at the top of a tall hill, or mountain.

Bunkers can flood unless carefully and expensively constructed, away from flood basins. My particular location does not lend itself to underground living. The hills of Wales would be an ideal location for a bunker, if you ask me. Plenty of elevation, meaning less risk of flooding or water damage, commanding view of surrounding areas, including hunting grounds, places to forage, and routes of approach.

A little while back, my government sold off one of its nuclear bunkers for a few million pounds, sans warheads and equipment of a controlled nature. If I was a rich man, I would have purchased that place in a heart beat, and converted it into a dwelling place, after a significant decontamination effort of course. I am sure the government cleaned the site, but given how little they care about what they do or how it is seen, it would have been foolhardy to simply assume that no contamination had occurred, that no radiological material or irradiated items remained.

The place was armoured against nuclear assault, the location of its entry point was highly secret until the sell off (now sign posted "secret nuclear bunker", not even kidding), it had rooms for the base staff, equipment rooms, environment regulation gear...it was pretty awesome. Alas, I am a poor man and had not the free capital to purchase the place. It would have made a fantastic domicile. There is almost no way that I would have failed to build a recording studio into it somehow, and with no neighbours for miles, not to mention it's underground situation, it would have made a radical place to record music, or simply get drunk and loud for entertainment purposes!

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I would bury only a portion of the home, with the rest on the upside being designed to look like the woods or the side of a hill. Something that could trap heat very well or at least keep it from being detected from above.

Even underground if its hot enough, big brother can see you. I suggest long socks and a shower cap.

Maybe some bags of quick crete and a book on cannibalism.......

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 05:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Good advice but no, I'm talking u with a shovel n bucket out in the woods doing it by hand. Build it for free

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 05:21 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Well no tunnel but have one east coast n west coast and maybe central. Build them all for free by hand

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 05:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

No but I'm just looking at cheaper alternatives than wasting thousands on an apartment or on a mortgage.

By the way to everyone.....

Say 100 or 200 years ago this was completely normal. Building ur own place from scratch was what most people did. It's only now that 99% of people have been turned into brainwashed zombies does this kind of thing seem kinda odd. Were programmed to believe in making the banks or rich richer by being the consumers of over priced real estate and believing that there's no other alternative. Like even 100 or 200 years ago there was no Walmart to run to all the time. Everything was done by hand and often at no cost. I'm just saying.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: namelesss

Oh get real. 100 yrs ago everyone built there own house from scratch

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 06:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: lavatrance
would you ever just dig a bunker and live in that?

Yes. Could I also invite my good friends Eva, Joseph, Martin and Hermann to hang out with me?

Oh, and my dog Blondie.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   

the area i live in...when it was first being settled in the mid/late 1800's folks lived in Dugouts. It wasn't uncomon. Find a natural rise in the land and start working it. The area is dry, so it would at least give you a place to sleep 300 nights a year. The rest may be wet, or too hot and miserable, to sleep.

ETA: "Settled" as in we finally got the Comanche to stop killing people to tried to live here. Some kind of peace deal made with the Germans if i recall.

edit on 5/16/2016 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

top topics

join