It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious Fundamentalism and Intolerance

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder

originally posted by: DISRAELI

But I've noticed that over the last few years the voice of the non-believers and the realists is starting to get drowned out by the Christian group and other religious groups.

This surprises me, as an assessment of ATS. From my experience of the site, the Christian group does not seem large enough to do any drowning. Those who hate religion seem to be holding their own well enough.

I discover, further down the post, that your real issue is with the on-site popularity of Trump. That's a different question, you know. Some of us religious folk are not even American.

Well I guess it always looks worse from the other side. Both sides always seem to think the other is overtaking the other. However I agree with other posters saying that it's important to have opposing points of views and so I don't necessarily want to see religion die off all together, but I think it's valid to be concerned about the hatred and violence that religious beliefs can lead to, and it's important not to let that get out of hand.

Honestly, I see the same kind of religious fervor with those who believe in political ideologies as a religion as I do with any religion? Exempting those who believe in the ideology of Islamic Extremists....

Most of the Christians I know just want to be quiet and mind there own damn business. As an Agnostic at this point in my life, I actually find myself wanting to defend them from the attacks of those who on a daily basis hate on Christianity, while yet not allowing ANYONE to say anything against Islam.

I guess it's easier to single out religion, however take a look at some of the ideologies of the "Political-Social Fascists".

Don't like something? Shut it down! Someone says something that goes against your ideology? SILENCE THEM!, yet it these same folks who preach equality? Yea, no dangerous religion/cult there now is there....

Just buckle up! We ain't seen nothing yet!

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
This surprises me, as an assessment of ATS. From my experience of the site, the Christian group does not seem large enough to do any drowning. Those who hate religion seem to be holding their own well enough.

I discover, further down the post, that your real issue is with the on-site popularity of Trump. That's a different question, you know. Some of us religious folk are not even American.

ABSOLUTELY INDEED.

Actually, from the beginning, imho, ATS has had a MUCH higher percentage of skeptics, atheists and agnostics who have persistently been ABSOLUTELY INTOLERANTLY HOSTILE to anyone who DARED have the affrontery to have a faith oriented values system and to SAY anything incorporating that construction on reality on ATS.

Many times such hostile 'super rationalists' hounded a faith oriented person mercilessly until they were silenced--even on a thread they'd started.

Often, they harrassed, hounded and personally assaulted such a person until the faith oriented person said something unfitting and then the faith person was reported and banned.

THANKFULLY, ATS's better enforcement of their CIVILITY mandate has made that sort of thing largely a thing of the past.

However, there's still a ton of 'super rationalist' folks ready in a flash to descend upon a faith oriented thread, post or poster and post an endless parade of half-baked, uninformed, poorly read, and even irrational and illogical bunch of junk in their outrage against faith oriented constructions on reality. Sometimes, they are so transparently ignorant as to be embarrassing. Other times their rank hypocrisies are so brazen as to be dismaying and outrageous.

Yet, for the most part, they go unchallenged--even by faith oriented people on here. Typically, we are NOT AS assaultive; not as thin-skinned; not as interested in poking a sleeping dog. We just ignore threads and posts that don't impress us much. We don't feel a need to make a federal case out of every whiff of someone who is opposite our values system.

Some 'super rationalists' react with such instant hostility and fierceness that one might think they feel personally stabbed to the heart just because a faith oriented perspective IS ALLOWED to exist on the planet--much less within their eyesight.

Gimme a break. Sheesh. Yet they scream that the faith folks are THE intolerant ones. What rank hypocrisy.

edit on 15/5/2016 by BO XIAN because: typo

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Honestly, I see the same kind of religious fervor with those who believe in political ideologies as a religion as I do with any religion? Exempting those who believe in the ideology of Islamic Extremists....

Most of the Christians I know just want to be quiet and mind there own damn business. As an Agnostic at this point in my life, I actually find myself wanting to defend them from the attacks of those who on a daily basis hate on Christianity, while yet not allowing ANYONE to say anything against Islam.

I guess it's easier to single out religion, however take a look at some of the ideologies of the "Political-Social Fascists".

Don't like something? Shut it down! Someone says something that goes against your ideology? SILENCE THEM!, yet it these same folks who preach equality? Yea, no dangerous religion/cult there now is there....

Just buckle up! We ain't seen nothing yet!

ABSOLUTELY INDEED

The RELIGION OF SCIENTISM is every bit as fierce, RELIGIOUS, hostile, assaultive, etc. as almost any other group except radical Islamists. And they seem to have 0.000000000000% insight, honesty and/or integrity about their own perspectives and behaviors.

And, you're right, we ain't seen nothin' yet. The oligarchy has already been using such perspectives wholesale to increasingly slap-down Christianity in a big, fierce, derisive way. And THAT will only intensify. The schedule calls for Christianity's extermination and they are taking that goal very seriously.

They will fail. But there will also be millions of Christian deaths before they fail.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk
Unless it's all right wing, Christian, white people bashing, then left wingers think it's racist and close minded.

Nope.
I generally stay out of threads relating to religious beliefs because they hold no interest for me, go ahead and talk about your God, your holy book and what it means, your translations of your faith, I have no interest in that and I generally don't participate.

What I DO have an interest in is when those same religious people infest a thread about transgender rights, LGBT equality and social progress and rights and freedoms for all with their ignorance. And don't pretend it's not happening, it's happening every day on ATS. Any discussion about LGBT subjects attracts a swarming mass of right-wing preachers who then go on to spin the thread into a discussion about what they demand morality should be, what everyone should believe, what Trump said yesterday, what an "evil Commie" Obama is....

And lets be clear here, if you are attempting to force your religious notions onto other people and deny them their basic rights and freedoms as fellow citizens based on your belief that they are less deserving, you are a bigot. I don't care if you're Christian, Muslim, Scientologist, Atheist or anything else, if you believe that others do not deserve the same as you because of their gender, their sexuality, their race, their religion etc, then you are the very definition of a bigot.
edit on 15-5-2016 by Rocker2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   

a reply to: Rocker2013

Well I prefer not to frame things as "left and right" because quite honestly I do lean to the right and if I lived in the US I would vote for someone like Rand Paul or a libertarian such as Gary Johnson. The point I'm making here has more to do with religious beliefs rather than political beliefs. I think it's important to show why all religions, and not just religions like Islam, lead to unwarranted hatred and violence around the world. People just need to think for themselves more often, and rely less on advice from thousands of years ago.

I don't really think it's always religious beliefs whatsoever. I think it's people using that as a convenient flag to fly while oozing out their bigotry because they seem to think it gives them a right to think that way. I personally think to some extent it's small town syndrome where people see something that differs to their notion of 'normality' which makes them scared and angry. I know this is going to sound really boring to you, but the New Testament is the founding book of Christianity - the clue is in the name, but it is of course also reliant on the OT for its narrative which alleges to tell the story ultimately of one group of people over generations, and the culture and laws they lived within. Some people seem to believe that non members of very specific Jewish sects should be following those same laws well over 2,000 years later and don't say that is only from Christian people if there is any truth to separation of church and state.

I'm sorry, but unwarranted hatred exists within and without religion, it just does, for some though it's a convenient a) excuse for their behaviour based on their twist on it, or b) excuse to say anyone who follows a faith is in some way either intellectually or morally inferior. Pol Pot - political. Rwanda - political. Nazism (although I know many on here would rather than choke on their own vomit than agree) - political. Nanking - political. Stalins purges in the 30's - political.

I could go on. Some twisted loser of a KKK person talking about white Christians in no way makes his argument logical, kind of surprises me that he has it in his mind that Christ would be white- but that's the point, humans are stupid, some of them are not only stupid but aggressive and psychotic. Is religion the fault for that? Only one way to answer that one isn't there - show me evidence of zero per cent of any people who don't follow a faith of not being a mixture of stupid, aggressive and psychotic.
edit on 15-5-2016 by uncommitted because: added

edit on 15-5-2016 by uncommitted because: grammer

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   

No, you just waltz into other threads and wax poetic about how it's all the fault of folks like us and we need to die out or something else similarly loquacious when faith was not previously a part of the topic.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

I agree with a lot of what you said, of course when it devolves into anti trump i diverge with you, I don't like trump but some of the issues he raises are fair issues and should be talked about. Religious fundamentalism is a problem, but as shown in the video Christianity fundlementalism has taken a leap into the absurd, I'm an atheist though I can fairly evaluate ideas on their own merits and like Richard Dawkins said Christianity in this day and age may be a bulwark for something much worse. I lean right, however I try to have a fair and balanced perspective I am critical of all fundamentalism but I also have perspective and some fundlementalism is down right deadly everytime , while others are absurd and humorous, though if given credence and power i argue it always leads to destruction.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Of course, I am also interested how you go from YouTube personalities to online games to Trump to ATS.

Is your logic just that:

1.) I am an unbeliever.
2.) This person I like on YouTube is an unbeliever
3.) A creepy, racist fundy attacked cool YouTuber
4.) Online gamers seem like KKK people like creepy, fundy YouTuber
5.) I hear Trump is the KKK candidate
6.) People on ATS seem to like Trump
7.) People on ATS are also Christian
8.) Eureka! People on ATS must also be creepy, racist fundies like I saw on the video!

That is one long and convoluted chain and smacks on God is love; love is blind; Ray Charles is blind; Eureka! Ray Charles is God.

Now, I am not going to say that there are no people on ATS like the one you are worried about, but the fact that you used sourcing exclusively beyond ATS to make your case that ATS is inundated with these odious types of people is sort of troubling to me.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

No, you just waltz into other threads and wax poetic about how it's all the fault of folks like us and we need to die out or something else similarly loquacious when faith was not previously a part of the topic.

And I only ever raise this issue when there are people of faith in that thread using the excuse of their religion to attempt to dictate to others how they should live. Whether you like it or not, it's Christian Conservatives passing laws stripping the rights and freedoms of others.

When it comes to the end of Christianity, what I do often do is point out the reality that Christianity and Conservative beliefs are fading from society, is that what you're referring to?

It's the truth, even Christian America understands this and admits that churches are closing, those remaining open are seeing significant decline in the congregation, conservative "values" are being rejected by the younger generations all across your country.

This does not mean I want Christianity to die, far from it. I actually think Christianity (and Islam, and Buddhism, and plenty of other faiths) have contributed massively to Human existence in art and literature, there is no way I would want to see that annihilated,

What I certainly do want to see annihilated is this superiority complex many religious people have, their belief that they are somehow "special" or that they are somehow "entitled" to determine who can marry whom, or who can use which bathroom, or who is deserving of equal pay, or what people should be able to watch on TV, or what clothes people should be permitted to wear...

What I really loathe is the arrogant religious person who seems to think that freedom is exclusively for them, that their religion gives them some imagined authority to dictate what rights others should have when the lives of those other people have absolutely no bearing at all on their existence.

A good example - it makes no difference to the Christian whether a transgender person is using the stall next to them. It makes no difference to the Christian whether two men can marry. It makes no difference to the Christian whether someone wears a Hijab in public. It makes no difference to the Christian whether another woman has an abortion or not. Yet, somehow, the Christians repeatedly demand that all others obey them, that all others comply with their notions of what is right or wrong, moral or immoral. None of these things have any bearing at all on their own lives, yet they just can't seem to help themselves in their desperation to inflict their opinions onto the entire society around them.

Like I said, believe what you want to believe, follow whatever faith you want to follow, but don't expect me to sit there silently while you use those beliefs to excuse your dictatorial desires to inflict your will onto other free people.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

Actually, from the beginning, imho, ATS has had a MUCH higher percentage of skeptics, atheists and agnostics who have persistently been ABSOLUTELY INTOLERANTLY HOSTILE to anyone who DARED have the affrontery to have a faith oriented values system and to SAY anything incorporating that construction on reality on ATS.

Like I said, it always seems worse from the other side. I bet you haven't ever once stopped to consider what it might feel like for people on the other side who have to constantly deal with posts like yours. I clearly stated people have a right to believe in something higher and that I don't think religion should be eliminated, I've tried not to take a hostile position here yet you have to swoop in and act like I'm "stabbing you in the heart". What I'm specifically talking about is fundamentalism and extreme religious beliefs. I think we can all agree that's a pretty serious problem, whether you're religious or not. But you cannot really help but turn this into a stereotypical debate about religion can you?
edit on 15/5/2016 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   
lol...internet people are a trip.

Christianity has endured overwhelming amounts of hatred, ridicule, scorn, threats, the wrath of empires and kings and barbaric hordes since it's inception. Threats and wrath from, I can damned assure, much more menacing and valid sources than these 21st centuries fads of the week.

It's TRENDY to trash talk Christianity.....but Christianity will certainly, certainly outlast these silly malcontents and their overly wordy internet pap.

Christianity is not going anywhere.

Like it or don't.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Now, I am not going to say that there are no people on ATS like the one you are worried about, but the fact that you used sourcing exclusively beyond ATS to make your case that ATS is inundated with these odious types of people is sort of troubling to me.

The point I'm trying to make is that I feel like these sorts of volatile religious beliefs are becoming more common place. I've been around here a long time, coming up on a decade now, so I know the different trends that ATS has gone through over the years. Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I definitely feel like we are starting to accept ignorance rather than deny it. And there certainly is a link with Trump's rising popularity, it's clear the majority on ATS seem to support him based on which posts receive the most stars. I examine things like that to gauge the mentality of ATS members and I see trends that disturb me. My logic about people with faith is that they are attracted to ATS because it's a place where they can discuss many mysterious things mentioned by the bible or what ever text they believe in. Non-believers are arguably much less likely to join a forum such as ATS because they think conspiracy theories are silly, and so it's not surprising there would be more believers than non-believers in a forum like this.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Maverick1

Lmao, that's a good one.

Christianity has endured overwhelming amounts of hatred, ridicule, scorn, threats, the wrath of empires and kings and barbaric hordes since it's inception. Threats and wrath from, I can damned assure, much more menacing and valid sources than these 21st centuries fads of the week.

The same exact thing could be said about rationalists, non-believers, and many minority groups. Countless great men, including brilliant scientists, have been killed by small minded religious zealots because they made discoveries that weren't acceptable to the Church. Alan Turing, the father of computing, arguably the reason we are talking right now, was forced to choose between prison or hormonal treatment because he was discovered to be homosexual and it was illegal at the time. And why was it illegal? Because of religious beliefs, much like today.

Furthermore, you do realize that most empires, kings and queens, are religious and always have been throughout history, right? To be a successful politician pretty much anywhere in the world you need to be religious. Taking the US as an example; it's on the money, it's in the pledge, it's part of the oath, it's woven into the fabric of society even though it wasn't intended to be that way by the founding fathers. You talk about facing overwhelming amounts of opposition, well I'm pretty sure you're on the side with all the power and you don't know what true opposition feels like.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

a reply to: ketsuko

The point I'm trying to make is that I feel like these sorts of volatile religious beliefs are becoming more common place. I've been around here a long time, coming up on a decade now, so I know the different trends that ATS has gone through over the years. Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I definitely feel like we are starting to accept ignorance rather than deny it. And there certainly is a link with Trump's rising popularity, it's clear the majority on ATS seem to support him based on which posts receive the most stars. I examine things like that to gauge the mentality of ATS members and I see trends that disturb me. My logic about people with faith is that they are attracted to ATS because it's a place where they can discuss many mysterious things mentioned by the bible or what ever text they believe in. Non-believers are arguably much less likely to join a forum such as ATS because they think conspiracy theories are silly, and so it's not surprising there would be more believers than non-believers in a forum like this.

You are confusing/combining Religion with Nationalism I think.

That is why Trump is gaining popularity. He dared to say, "Make America Great Again". That goes against everything the Globalist Cabal is pushing. Nationalism will squash a Global Agenda!

First, he was the first so called Republican to denounce Political Correctness? Didn't you find it odd that as much as the PC crowd attacked the Republicans hardly any would say a word about it? That to me just shows the GOP was willing to allow the division to continue.

Secondly, look at how those on the Progressive left hate EVERYTHING about the United States of America, from our founders to the Constitution itself. Notice how the Constitution only means something when it comes to Human Rights and Social issues, but it is meaningless when it comes to other issues?

SJW's, Whiteness, White Privilege, Cultural Appropriation, and the list of Progressive buzzwords and nonsense being taught in our Educational Institution goes on and on and on.

I think people are just sick and tired of the "Obama Apology Tour" and his "Transformation of America". Can't you see him pouring the gas on the fire the past few months?

Nationalism today has NOTHING to do with how it is dishonestly linked to the Neo Nazi of old. Todays rise of Nationalism is more to do with retaining sovereignty of ones country and not allowing it to be homogenized into the flustercluck of forced diversity which we are now all witnessing the result?

As this "Global Agenda" is forced down our throats and ramped up, we will see a bigger push back and rise of Nationalism, and of course as we can already see it happening in Europe, it will just continue to gain popularity in the US. Of course as we can see how the MSM is painting Nationalist in Europe already as "Nazi's" etc etc and those on the Progressive Globalism side continue their push towards this One World Utopia, we WILL hit a breaking point. That was the plan all along! Boy will people be surprised when they realize there will be no discriminating when it comes time for last round up.

Like I said, "Buckle Up, you ain't seen nothing yet.".

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
There are a few things that bring out the worst in people in general. Births, death, politics, and religion. I don't care who you are, what you believe etc. I am Christian. You let me be I will let you be. You don't want to know about God? Great I am sure there are other things we can talk about! I don't want to talk about how dumb I am for believing. Fair enough? I think so.

To generalize all people of faith is ridiculous. Most Christians I would say probably fall somewhere in the middle with some leanings one way or the other.

Isn't the point of being on ATS that of being open to new ideas and thoughts that the MSM doesn't present? So in some ways aren't we all open to learning new ideas even if we don't personally subscribe to them? Hollow Earth and flat Earth are interesting ideas but I don't personally believe them anymore than the concept of a 6k earth. Meaning I don't believe them but they are still interesting to read.

I would say as to the influx of "conservatives" and racist thinking. Heck I bet that happens one way or the other every 4 years. The more controversial the election cycle is that year the worse it gets. I bet there have been times where extreme liberal think was pushed to the point if insufferable.

That was my two cents for what it's worth.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Maverick1

Lmao, that's a good one.

The same exact thing could be said about rationalists, non-believers, and many minority groups. Countless great men, including brilliant scientists, have been killed by small minded religious zealots because they made discoveries that weren't acceptable to the Church. Alan Turing, the father of computing, arguably the reason we are talking right now, was forced to choose between prison or hormonal treatment because he was discovered to be homosexual and it was illegal at the time. And why was it illegal? Because of religious beliefs, much like today.

Furthermore, you do realize that most empires, kings and queens, are religious and always have been throughout history, right? To be a successful politician pretty much anywhere in the world you need to be religious. Taking the US as an example; it's on the money, it's in the pledge, it's part of the oath, it's woven into the fabric of society even though it wasn't intended to be that way by the founding fathers. You talk about facing overwhelming amounts of opposition, well I'm pretty sure you're on the side with all the power and you don't know what true opposition feels like.

Your last sentence couldn't be further from the truth. I was born in a town where four little girls were blown to pieces (by someone bombing a church, btw) --the debris had barely stopped falling when I was in my crib. I had the experience of seeing my parents, and others that looked like me, be blasted with firehoses and attacked by police dogs.

I was in the second grade before my parents could even vote, friend. Opposition?

I've seen plenty, trust me, I've seen too much.

And your entire premise is based on what here? I mean, really, what is your actual point? I know zealotry, I know prejudice, bias, hatred. I suspect, I know it much, much, much better than you do. MANY of us do, regardless of race or creed or whatever.

Yet you are irritated by racist chat in some video game and dislike Trump? You don't like religious tracts or public prayers .....and?

And you express intolerance on the internet, you express the same contempt that you seem all to eager to point out in others. Fine, cool..do so.

But, man, lose that pompous prentension of moral high ground and check yourself and realize that your very OP is one of sheer, blatant intolerance. Realize that the mechanism of intolerance is the exact same regardless of if YOU are using it or some Bible-thumping preacher is.

And for God's sake, knock off that silly ass anti-Christian crusading. That's just counterproductive and faddish. I've read your postings on here for years, and you border on brilliant sometimes...so surely you can see the flaw in your own logic here.

edit on 15-5-2016 by Maverick1 because: tone

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Yes I understand exactly why Trump is popular and you're absolutely right, a large part of it is his "nationalist" policies. And you're also right that a certain level of nationalism can be good and healthy, but it can also be extremely unhealthy if taken too far. Banning all Muslims from entering the country or building a huge wall across the southern border could be interpreted as nationalism, but I would strongly argue they are both terrible ideas. The problem with Trump is that he lacks modesty and humility, his entire campaign is fueled by incendiary and divisive talking points.

His campaign literally feeds on hate and fear and it absolutely baffles me how people blindly believe that a billionaire will challenge the status quo and give them real change, even though they've been lied to so many times in the past. How can he stop shady deals made behind closed doors, how can he stop freedoms being traded for security, how can he reduce war in the ME... Trump is a professional at backroom deals, he also has expressed strong opinions in favor of trading liberty for security, and has said he will increase spending on defense whilst simultaneously lowering taxes for the highest earners.

He may be a good business man but he has very little morality and he's willing to use any possible tactics to increase the dominance of the US. Is that really what you want the US to be? A ruthless empire that uses threats and coercion to dominate the world while it hides behind a huge wall and doesn't let anyone in? I totally get the resistance to globalization but don't you think that's taking it a tad too far? It's no wonder racist organisations latch onto this guy. Trump even retweeted racist propaganda which was blatantly false. There was a thread about it, and what do you know, most members are still trying to portray him as the best thing since sliced bread.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Maverick1

But, man, lose that pompous prentension of moral high ground and check yourself and realize that your very OP is one of sheer, blatant intolerance. Realize that the mechanism of intolerance is the exact same regardless of if YOU are using it or some Bible-thumping preacher is.

And for God's sake, knock off that silly ass anti-Christian crusading. That's just counterproductive and faddish. I've read your postings on here for years, and you border on brilliant sometimes...so surely you can see the flaw in your own logic here.

I think you're focusing on certain things I said and extending their context to mean things I didn't mean. I'm not on some "anti-christian crusade", this is the first thread related to religion that I've made in many years. I don't debate people about their beliefs because I think it's their choice to decide, and I wont hassle them if they want to believe in Christianity. I am actually agnostic, meaning I don't claim to know the answer, and I'm willing to accept a higher force exists if any solid evidence in that favor should arise.

I think it's just as dumb to claim God certainly doesn't exist as it is to say God certainly does exist. The point of this thread is not to attack religion, it's to highlight these disgusting people who use religion to justify their terrible actions, it's pointing out why religion can be dangerous if people start to believe in fundamentalism and other warped interpretations of religious texts. If you think it's intolerant to talk about that and point it out, then so be it. But I'm not going to apologize for what I said, it's how I feel and I have a right to express those feelings.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Religious fundamentalism is a major problem for our species right now, but it cannot be squashed like a bug, or treated with Chemo, it has to be educated out of our world. The problem is, for every religion that has ever died on this planet, another has taken its place. Cleansing the world of belief in ancient mythical entities and the texts to which they allegedly lend their authority will not end religious fundamentalism.

As has been pointed out in this thread, there have been religious atheists/anti-theists in the past who wrought great destruction on human life. Although those referencing such historical figures do so to make their own groups "sins" against humanity more palatable. "You guys do it too, you're no better than we are."

I sincerely believe our species is "rushing headlong" into a period of time that will be unprecedented in human history. The character of Jesus said "A house divided against itself cannot stand." He of course, is not by any means the first person on earth to observe this truth. Make no mistake, as a species, we are not only divided, we are splintered. Sooner or later, that splintering is going to push us to the brink of world-wide collapse, if not near extinction. Our civilization cannot and will not continue in its present state.

The only thing that can stop it is the realization that it really is up to us. Not a hero, not a Trump or Hillary, not a deity, not a benevolent alien race, and certainly not a global society and governance. It is we the people that are responsible for our own extinction or survival. Barring a cataclysm brought on by natural processes.

ATS seems to me as it always has. The majority here are non-Abrahamic. The Christian demographic are a vocal minority here, and therefore seem more omnipresent than they really are. Personally, I prefer the presence of the Christian, Muslim, and other faiths on ATS, because without them, we have no microcosm of society. Without them in the laboratory, we have a failed experiment, and nothing with which to gauge our successes and failures as a community working daily through the dialectic being carried out on a much larger scale in the physical world.
edit on 5/15/2016 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I see a different problem that has been occurring on these forums over time. Many atheists are attacking and generally being intolerant of those who have a form of religious belief. I find that disgusting. Those same Atheists then have the audicaity to say that they are the ones being attacked, when in fact there the attackers.

And before you say anything else, I have seen many agnostics/atheists here who posted logicless and bs posts. Point is atheists need to be more tolerant and are not immune to believing bs.

Important to note us that before anyone says that most of the users here are of a certain viewpoint/belief-system, most of the users here didn't even state their belief system so no definite conclusion can be drawn there unless the 300k users on here each answer this.
edit on 15-5-2016 by KaibaTheJedi because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join