It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At the Air Force Museum

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

You should see the other 630 pictures we took today if you hate me for these.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   
My wife is from Springfield, Ohio. When we still lived in Ohio, we would take the kids there all the time. So many things to see and the kids always thought it was cool. Plus it's free!

Beware, the place is haunted. Had a friend that worked there in the evening and wouldn't go back.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: LeviB

I'm coming back after they open that hangar up, just so I can go to it. It's got the fun stuff that I really wanted to see. I did find out that at least three of the aircraft that were in areas open to the public, are aircraft that I have been on when they were active.

It's definitely worth it. We went to CFB Trenton a few years ago and there was a Herc with a number my old man recognized. He looked through his logs when we go home and it turns out he was the Nav on a flight to Dubai.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I went to the Blue Angels air show and I also live by the airport, so I get to watch them practice also. I ended up with over 700 picture just from that. This does give me an idea for a nice vacation though..........Thanks.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   

We have about 300 pictures of the Memorial Garden alone. Some of the memorials there are absolutely stunning.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Blue Angels are back this year, along with an F-22 demo (finally):

www.daytonairshow.com...

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: LeviB

The C-17 outside is T-1, the prototype (it was also in the first two Transformers and Iron Man movies). We knew the program manager at Edwards, and went to visit and he took us on board, before just about anyone outside the program got to go on one. The EC-135N came through Hickam a number of times, as did the B-1 inside.
edit on 5/13/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I thinking about putting the Oshkosh airshow on my bucket list also. Think that would be awesome.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   

We went by where that takes place not long ago. They have a pretty neat facility set up with a museum too. Quite a few aircraft on display outside.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Cool. I guess it looked odd in US livery. I've seen all sorts of Spitfire paint jobs (even the pink reconnaissance ones), but never that paint scheme.

Thanks for clearing that up.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Nice pics and thanks. You got to do something I haven't been able to do and now may never due to disabilities. Glad you had a great time and that the USAF helps the museum exist and contribute to the great history of aviation. My best,

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   
A few more, including some from the memorial garden.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
A few more, including some from the memorial garden.

Holy moly, that's like lookin' up Yasmine Bleeth's skirt!

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   

I am incredibly jealous of this visit. When I brought my car home from Il, I drove through Dayton at 8pm and I still kick myself for not staying the night there and catching the museum first thing the next day.

These photos aren't helping.
edit on 13-5-2016 by Barnalby because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   

I figure it'd be a lot like seeing Concorde in person, in that you realize that what's considered mind-warping gigantic for a supersonic aircraft is still relatively modestly sized for subsonic aircraft.

That said, seeing it everywhere in photos never prepared me for just how jaw-droppingly gigantic the Space Shuttle is in person. It feels like it's easily twice the size that you think it should be, and then some. You could park a small car in the SSME nozzles.

The size is especially jarring, since Apollo/Soyuz craft always seem so much smaller in person than they do in pictures.
edit on 13-5-2016 by Barnalby because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Very nice pictures. Always been a great fan of the catalina (as well as the 65/66 Pontiac version). Thanks for sharing!

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=20721079]Zaphod58[/post']
Glad to see a tradition enacted. I grew up on AFB's; every other year it was either the Thunderbirds or the Blue Angels performing. The Pima Air Museum is outstanding, Tucson AZ; and happy to see there are others existing besides this one. Thanks for sharing!

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Barnalby

The size is especially jarring, since Apollo/Soyuz craft always seem so much smaller in person than they do in pictures.

You mean like this?

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Awesome photo Zaph!!!

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Do you mind telling me what kind of camera your are using and the lens?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join