It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Limits Of How Far Humanity Can Go In The Universe

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99
I think it's infinitely finite.
Chew on that

Oh, I agree. I also think that it is infinitely finite in multiple dimensions we don't understand. It's so big and going in so many different directions, and we are so small that statistically, we don't even exist.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1

I meant the amount of time we've observed the cosmos. It's a pretty short amount of time compared to the estimated 14 billion years it's been around.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

I think it's infinitely finite.
Chew on that

It's so big and going in so many different directions

I think the finite part is when it stops going in every direction and starts going back in one direction.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Krypto1

The limit for me to actually "go" - is just about to fridge. Anything further than that and I need 4 wheels and a V8.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I think we have some pretty good men and women out there working on all of this space stuff...and were very lucky that they can find the answers to so many questions that we all want answered ...

Just think if the whole human race (like in star trek) finally could get along..and we could dump more money into space science. Damn!!

The Wright Brothers - First Flight, 1903

and look where we are now...

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

which is another number that always changes

are you starting to see what im saying

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

We have a decent grasp on it now, well at least we think, but yep I understand 100%.

Things change according to new observations all the time. It's the documenting them and comparing them part I like, it helps us have the best idea we can.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   

I think the finite part is when it stops going in every direction and starts going back in one direction.

Sure, like this:

But still expanding in all dimensions.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Unlike the thought of fantasy, can anyone fathom the changes and destruction that will occur? Humans cannot find a way out of this Galaxy as it is because of our lack of knowledge beyond that of the sun's influence field. Those satellites have sent anything bak to tell us. Which means death is eminently so. Let's just say, it's a loat cause. Man is not made for the stars. If it were so, we would have that power already to go as we wish.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: AscendantCause42

Technology's Explosion: The exponential growth rate

Technology is innovating and expanding at an exponential rate. It’s difficult to grasp how dramatic is the growth of 2 x 2 x 2 x 2…

I think we have a 50/50 chance to go forward ...

read this www.mstech.com...

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   

well at least we think,

another statement proving my original point

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Yep...

Ringling Brothers is phasing out elephants in their Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus events. Elephants will no longer be part of the "Greatest Show on earth"

Slow and steady us humans

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
The energy required to propel a small spacecraft to closest star, including deceleration, is more than the current entire energy usage of the US so its unlikely that we can even contemplate interstellar travel until we can develop a compact fusion reactor with the output necessary to power a high powered emDrive that doesn't use propellant to achieve thrust.

Given that the human race lives on a rock with limited resources, future generations might aim to conserve resources for long term survival rather than waste resources on exploration so the real question is the pay back for exploring nearby star systems which might be as lifeless as the planets in our own solar system.

if we don't devolve back into the dark ages I think its more likely that in the next 1000's of years or so, we will develop better and better telescopes that will be able to detect life from afar. If the life is at least as intelligent as us we might be able to open communication channels to share our knowledge with one another. So there'd be no reason to expend enormous amounts of energy to shake their hand.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Extraterrestrial UFO Are Real : Ben Rich Lockheed Skunk Works Director Admitted In His Deathbed Confession

According to article published in May 2010 issue of the Mufon UFO Journal [Link] - Ben Rich, the “Father of the Stealth Fighter-Bomber” and former head of Lockheed Skunk Works,had once let out information about Extraterrestrial UFO Visitors Are Real And U.S. Military Travel To Stars

more here ...... www.ufo-blogger.com...

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
The universe is expanding but somehow we got 2 galaxies heading against each other.

I

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: dimicgs

Yes. So? Galaxies collide all the time.
edit on 5/14/2016 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 03:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: DOCHOLIDAZE1

well at least we think,

another statement proving my original point

Well the thing with space is the variables and unexpecteds.

one person says "yes" and one says "well maybe not". it should be yes or no answer.
same goes for asteroids, and other things out there flying around. you hear "well we may get hit" or "we may not" or "it may enter our atmosphere" or "it may not"

It should be expected for us to know the answer, but it's not always that simple.

Let's use for example a baseball game. Every time the pitcher pitches a ball that isn't a wild pitch you expect the ball to either
A. Get hit by the batter
B. Reach the catcher

That's reasonable to expect, each and every time. On the rare occasion something we don't expect happens though

Now imagine the bird is an unseen object in space. A comet/meteor may be altered by this kind of event. It hits something we didn't see, and it's trajectory is changed. Now the meteor that was going to miss us hits us or vice versa.

Simply put when it comes to space we are still learning, a lot. That doesn't mean what we have learned so far is rubbish, it just means we don't know everything there is to know. That's the beauty of science, it has no issue being wrong and getting corrected, actually it prefers it. The more wrong we figure out we are, the more right we can be

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 03:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Krypto1

It's almost ridiculous that our transitory, minuscule little species can entertain ideas about this f***** awesome emptiness we happen to exist within. It's simultaneously absurd and beautiful that our senses have evolved even to the point of lofting observatories into space so we can see the cosmos with greater clarity...and static levels of bemusement.

As far as we know, we're the only things watching it and the time-scales almost render us pointless.

Brian Cox was recently marvelling that speculative infinity isn't limited to the imagined size of the universe or universes. It's equally applicable to the sub-atomic end of things too. That's almost enough to give my mind a sense of inertia or seasickness; in figurative terms, it needs to sit down and wipe its brow of the cold sweat lol.

I'm resigned to us not getting out of our own local space in this lifetime. A little corporate hunger should get a manned mission to Mars and that's the best we can hope for...allowing for world-changing advances. It's rather saddening to someone who's grown up with escapist science-fiction. I mean the sheer f****** majesty of these galaxies spinning through space is wonderful and our brief little lives won't be able to watch the 'full version.'

P.S. you might like this story.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 04:52 AM
link   
You are all so narrow minded. Its sad really.

The ONLY 2 obstacles in this
are that absurd monetary
system and imagination.

Remove money, and we would be on our way
in no time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join