It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was once an atheist.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on May, 13 2016 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I was once an atheist, i still hold those values dear. It taught me the value of life and much more than that. The only problem was, my family was raised as Christians.

My family understood that God was love and they were taught the simple words of; " God loves you more in a moment than anyone could in a lifetime ". As for me, without God, well, I became unloved.

In ancient days I would be called an unloved monster that defies cultural norms and ways of society. An unloved being in a world full of love and as an atheist in a family full of devoted Christians, it looked very dark for my future to come.

I learned to walk alone on treacherous paths, where i learned to fight. I thrived in a world where love is a weakness and where loyalty is family. The word love became misplaced and God something forgotten. I saw it as love but it was nothing but fear and that path, well, it ended with despair.

Years passed and still no love insight.. Until one day i stood outside a monastery and was touched by the hand of God. The words i heard;" I will show you love my son" echoed. I never knew i was a soulless being until i was shown a mirror reflection and saw my soul standing outside, knocking and begging me to let him in. I opened the door and the pain was something i could not endure. Each day that passed taught me to love some more.

God gave me a soul, where there was none. I was once an atheist...

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Thats beautiful man, I wish more were open to your experiences. I have ever really subscribed too much to the bible after learning it is just remixes of the old pagan cultures and edited by the Jews to fit their culture at the time. But there is something true and powerful about saying the Lord's prayer. You know that one where you invite Jesus into your heart asking for forgiveness?? Man those words I feel have real power, because the few times in my life I have said it, I just feel this lifting of my spirits, this overflow of joy.

Maybe its all in my head, but I just can feel it, and thats that I believe the Bible has many passages (as well as more ancient scribes) that IMO prove our contact with aliens. And that the Hindus have nuked themselves thousands of years in the past.

That prayer though man, there is a real positive power behind it.

+4 more 
posted on May, 13 2016 @ 02:17 AM
link   
a reply to: PanPiper

Funny, I was once a christian.

The world touched me, and I then realised, the hand of god is my own.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 02:29 AM
link   

The mirror and a meeting with the divine.

I might not know everything about the higher realms but all I have experienced make me think of it as home.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 02:44 AM
link   
You seem like a really 'high maintenance' type of person.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 02:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Parafitt

The real God burns with energies greater than all the energies of the entire universe and has touched the cores of billions of stars. God also places, and holds, each subatomic particle in place.

Nothing is too small and falls beneath His attention or control - nothing is too great and falls beyond His attention or control. God is fully conscious of the invisible and undetectable just as the brightest of energies is not too bright for Him to look directly into.

If your hand was the hand of God and touched the Earth, it would melt away to steam.

For a microbe to believe it is God-like, is profound delusion.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Funny stuff I suppose. Are you trying to say that you had no soul before or that atheists have no soul? There have been so many gods and goddesses and what not that came and went its kind of pointless to even bother with such.

I have seen just as many recovering Christians as the latter or "insert religion or god here" So much so that it does not matter.

I am afraid my internet buddy that what you are, what we all are, even me I suppose to a degree is but just another deluded hairless monkey trapped by there own volition in the mind #eries they themselves have created and ingrained in themselves for eons and eons.

The history of religion is as such. At one time a favorite convenient story brought calm to a peoples so much so that they codified it and turned that one habit into a ritual habit into a ritualistic habit for many. And then? Well # happens so it was revised, etc etc.

Religion! That favorite book just right before bed time. A tale to tell all little children, a ward against bad dreams and the real world out there for all terrors in stories are but pale imitations of those in the real world, its why they were created to begin with, a sort of mental vaccination, one that has long lost its potency at that.

But hey! Whatever you know. If it works for you, do it. If not and it doesnt, then don't. But before we get all dopey in here, one should be aware that what works for one, will not necessarily work for another.

You may carry on now.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 03:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamnotadoctor

Not really, i am just explaining things in an honest way..

I am explaining the difference between being an Atheist and a Christian. Being an atheist offers more freedom but in return demands much more from you as a person and all to many fail in that aspect..
Atheism is refuting God or the concept of God and relying that you can teach the values of morals and dogmas of society.
Which i am guessing, a very few actually can.

Atheism is still christian concept and with it comes cultural values and dogmas. Which you as a person have a obligation towards and to raise your kids in the same mindset..

Being an atheist is just another creed of being a Christian, it just demands more of you being a human.

Athanasian Creed

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

I am saying, the concept of love is a demanding one and if you fail nurturing that concept the person becomes more likely a hairless primate with all the instincts that comes from being an animal..

You are raised by either the hand of God or the hand of your father and mother.

The history of religion, as you put it forth.. Is wrong, either you know or dont.. Dont place your own opinions if you lack the higher education for it..

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 03:13 AM
link   

there was a time i didnt believe in anything, then i met my demons that have taught me many things and still do

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 03:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: PanPiper
I was once an atheist, i still hold those values dear. It taught me the value of life and much more than that. The only problem was, my family was raised as Christians.

My family understood that God was love and they were taught the simple words of; " God loves you more in a moment than anyone could in a lifetime ". As for me, without God, well, I became unloved.

In ancient days I would be called an unloved monster that defies cultural norms and ways of society. An unloved being in a world full of love and as an atheist in a family full of devoted Christians, it looked very dark for my future to come.

I learned to walk alone on treacherous paths, where i learned to fight. I thrived in a world where love is a weakness and where loyalty is family. The word love became misplaced and God something forgotten. I saw it as love but it was nothing but fear and that path, well, it ended with despair.

Years passed and still no love insight.. Until one day i stood outside a monastery and was touched by the hand of God. The words i heard;" I will show you love my son" echoed. I never knew i was a soulless being until i was shown a mirror reflection and saw my soul standing outside, knocking and begging me to let him in. I opened the door and the pain was something i could not endure. Each day that passed taught me to love some more.

You were never an atheist.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Let me get this straight you love a magical imaginary being which you have created out of thin air only for the sole purpose but to dingle your worry worts without having to bother to much.

You know at least when Jack traded the family cow for them magical beans he got something out of it.

Listen dude! Dont place your misguided misconstrued nonsense on me. To me you all are merely you all are that laughable loveable animal which happens to run into walls from time to time, half unscrupulous liar half oh he just does not know better, and a quarter retard and just stupid stuff.

Its a skill all humans posses to a degree I suppose. But even that gets old when some try to place it in anything other then what it is. Merely the musings of a deluded animal indeed. You can place any fancy hat on its head give it all kinds of honors and higher education, but its still merely just well, I try not to be to mean, but stupid # is the least of what I think it is.

Now what is this history of religion that you know and some do not? Are you going to be sharing with us, and by "us" I mean me and this thread. The musings of a child who just found out there is purpose in group thought and a fuzzy feeling it delivers does not interest me. But maybe this higher education or something you know may interest me, however I doubt it.

I would ask in how many ways is the history of region right and in how many ways wrong? Since you seem to know. But then again, who has time to read all that, its like a long list of failures, could fill a whole library, and you know what? There are more then a few libraries dedicated to that very topic.

As I said. You may carry on now.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Human deities has been called gods since our first stories began - Link

If you consider them imaginary, well, that is up to you.. Placing god as something divine, enforces a cultural dogma through its society..

Listen dude! Dont place your misguided misconstrued nonsense on me. To me you all are merely you all are that laughable loveable animal which happens to run into walls from time to time, half unscrupulous liar half oh he just does not know better, and a quarter retard and just stupid stuff.

Narcissism is something everyone has more or less, it comes down to placing your own subjective truth when you lack the education for it.. Nothing more nothing less..

You thrive in something called intelligent design, when most likely in nature, you would die.. Do not think yourself as a evolutionary being when your ancestors were shown mercy by the hand of God.. You are just a creature of intelligent design.. You do not need a library to see what actually does exist and what does not.. Just takes a set of legs and a pair of eyes and walking into nature..

But you still believe in your world of make believe dont you..?

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

I was a naturalist
shhhh... Evolutionary being..

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 04:06 AM
link   
You know! Your not telling me anything I did not already know.

I don't get it, so your saying is that you do not believe in evolution?

Hey that's OK.
Feel the love in the emote. Many a religious people have a bone to pick with that, for obvious reasons off course. Clashing styles I suppose, kind of like candy striped socks with black work shorts.

It is a highly flawed theory I suppose. So it would fit right in with other theories, including the theory of God, and even the God's. But at least its a theory in the making, you know! Its evolving? I guess so.:
Maybe in a million years it will get somewhere.

Narcissism is something everyone has more or less, it comes down to placing your own subjective truth when you lack the education for it.. Nothing more nothing less..

You don't say! But you should know I can do and play much more then the narcissism card.

You thrive in something called intelligent design, when most likely in nature, you would die

You dont say! Must be why for all those untold generation said hairless monkeys have tried to modify there environments to do away with all those randomness of that pesky nature things from caves to mud huts to timer lodgings to well today, a modified concrete jungle.

You know! Intelligent design, and in that design is designed to root out any of those unscrupulous random happenstances brought on by nature and environments. Of which God and Gods and religion has its place and fit.

But then again that still does not say that you all are not the test lab subjects of some other species who just happened to wonder on by one day many many millions of years ago and see all that was going on here...And thought to themselves...Ah why not! What could happen? And boy were they wrong, now weren't they?

Intelligent design indeed. Just depends on what your definition of the word "intelligent" is. That to is an evolving concept. And oh boy is it slow.
edit on 4amFridayam132016f5amFri, 13 May 2016 04:07:03 -0500 by galadofwarthethird because: more words added

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 04:47 AM
link   

I don't get it, so your saying is that you do not believe in evolution?

I believe you are starting to read things to fill your own agenda..

Or evolutionary theory is based on Darwin and his years abroad, or the easy way to see how evolution works.. Crack a skull in the middle and "voila" there is evolution in the making..

Or we could use images:

even better a link explaining Darwinism

If the test lab is mother earth, sure.. If you think its aliens from another planet.. Well that is your belief..

If you are sure of yourself, then raise a human with all the values that go with.. If you fail, there is no one to blame than yourself..

There is a quote from Africa; " It takes a whole village to raise a child " Im sure you understand the impact of that, or maybe you did not learn how to kill your ego..
edit on 13-5-2016 by PanPiper because: image

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 05:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

originally posted by: Parafitt

For a microbe to believe it is God-like, is profound delusion.

You should see what atheists say about people that claim to know the mind of God, or that his hand would turn the Earth to steam lol.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 06:47 AM
link   

ROFL. How long did it take you to come up with that little story?

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I love my husband and my son more than I ever felt it was possible to love anyone. Then I felt for a few fleeting moments love on the divine scale. To say "love" was the same emotion, and it was, is like seeing a Great Dane after a Chihuahua and calling them dogs, the magnitude is just that different.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Personally I waiver between agnostic, Deist, Panthiest. I read philosophy pretty much every day and read a lot of science (as a layperson).
I am pretty anti theist in terms of man-made interpretations. Not against religion in an angry way but for my own opinions and ideas and certain ignorant uses of it. But science has actually made me contemplate diesm and pantheism more as a read more science.

I have been reading a lot about innatism and naturism as well as Evolutionary psychology. It seems to me nature is making better observers as species evolve over time. The why part is what leads me to some deeper thinking. Also just the fact there appears to me to be a design/er.

When I go out in public in SC I revert to atheism because the Christians here are disgusting IMO. I don't hate religion or Christians but where I live the hypcocracy of the religious people is overwhelming. So much hate, judgement, and ignorance. Everything is Jesus's doing. Winning games, your kid sharing, car accidents. It's gross imo.
I have lots of religious friends and to be honest I actually prefer the apologists I used to have to debate in philosophy back in college to the type of Christians here. My wife is Catholic. She is like a black sheep here.

Anyway I was once a stronger atheist but pretty much have moved myself to an agnostic just over thinking about the why of some of these questions around reality.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join