It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High End GPS Locators for camping/hiking, any suggestions?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   
So I want to get a reliable GPS locator for the Smurfride. I have a terrible sense of direction & the hiking around me isn't always exactly straightforward. I like to go off trail & walk up rivers as often as possible.
Does anyone personally know of a really good GPS locator? Is it even possible to get a GPS locator that will work if I'm up in the mountains out of Internet/cell range etc?
edit on 13-5-2016 by SmurfRider because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Look in to the Garmin Etrex 20's or better. I have used mine for hiking and hunting for the last 4 years and it has never failed me. Just make sure you also buy the map chip for the states you will be using it in.
edit on 5/13/1616 by 1MrMarc because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/13/1616 by 1MrMarc because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: 1MrMarc

Mm much love, didn't think I'd get such a quick response from someone with personal use. Thanks brother! Curious to see if anyone else backs you up or offers some other options to compare reviews & google searches to haha

Quick google search brought up 22s for as low as $109 & 35s for $300. Not bad really, I bet I can find a nice middle ground between model & price.
edit on 13-5-2016 by SmurfRider because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: SmurfRider

Get something that is easy to use. Learn how to use a compass also............batteries don't last forever. I use an older Garmin Etrex nothing fancy.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I typically just use a trail of bread crumbs.

The last time I met this lovely old woman who lives in the forest.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Bah I only wish forest witches were real. They're so hott.

new topics

top topics

join