It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sex abuse victim in her 20s allowed by doctors to choose euthanasia due to 'incurable' PTSD

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   

The unnamed woman in her 20s had suffered sexual abuse from the age of five to 15, according to papers released by the Dutch Euthanasia Commission.

As a result of her abuse, she suffered from post-traumatic-stress disorder (PTSD), severe anorexia, chronic depression and hallucinations

Sex abuse victim in her 20s allowed by doctors to choose euthanasia due to 'incurable' PTSD

I don't post very often. But this one has me puzzled. On one hand I think that humans should have the right to choose death if they have an incurable disease, or are close to death. On the other, this girl is in her 20's. Is that too soon to give up?

Your thoughts ATS?

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

quite the story here.. who knows the extent of the trauma she experienced. Perhaps she was in such a dark place and being that she is well above the age of being an "adult", and if they don't have any mental illness issues she has a right to choose that. They've legalized patient-assisted suicide in a few states in the US as well - it is becoming more popular

+6 more 
posted on May, 12 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   

People should have a right to death as much as they have a right to life, but we also as fellow humans have a right to disagree and to mourn.. What a sad situation..
edit on 12-5-2016 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
This is a tragic situation, but her doctors agree with her decision to end her suffering and not everyone can come back from horrible abuse.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

It's really difficult to imagine the trauma, and having never experienced such a state it's hard for me to judge. But as the child of a suicided father, it really tears me up inside to hear about it.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Although she is an adult, is she mentally fit to make this decision?

If she is, then it is her decision and her decision alone. It appears the medical experts were of the opinion she was mentally fit to make the decision, so they agreed to go ahead with it.

It's sad, but without living a single second of her life, who are we to judge?

edit on 12/5/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Hmmm intresting, I made a AMA as a surviver of abuse but it wasn't allowed on this forum and deleted.
I was five when all it started, I am now 28 it never gets easy. Ever!!!!!

However to take that route I'm sure it was pretty extreme and mentally damaging, not that my abuse wasn't.

People cope differently I am never going to judge a person who takes this route, I've nearly gone through it myself hell my brother committed suicide November just gone. Different circumstances.

People should have the right to do as they please.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Also, if she is not of sound of mind can she choose?

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: BennyOj
Hmmm intresting, I made a AMA as a surviver of abuse but it wasn't allowed on this forum and deleted.
I was five when all it started, I am now 28 it never gets easy. Ever!!!!!

However to take that route I'm sure it was pretty extreme and mentally damaging, not that my abuse wasn't.

People cope differently I am never going to judge a person who takes this route, I've nearly gone through it myself hell my brother committed suicide November just gone. Different circumstances.

People should have the right to do as they please.

Sorry you went through it. I'll never claim to understand where you are or where you are at now. Also condolences for the loss of your brother.

But coping with it must be extremely difficult, even with the right help. And I'm not judging the young lady in the post, just the situation in general. It's hard for me to put my head around.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

I'm sure they would have been many physiological screening procedures done in this case before it was carried out, if she wasn't of "sound" mind then maybe she would of been sectioned?

Who knows? Only she knows what was going on in the very complex brain.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

It's not just her, it's her and her medical "team" that played a role in the decision.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

The issue here is, that we are not in the head of the victim, we cannot know the full extent of the abuse because we were not there, and because trauma effects individuals differently, we cannot know how broken her life is. The woman had been abused for three quarters of her life, and had no hope in her.

If she had not have been under the care of doctors, she may have attempted to take her own life by means less effective, and by so doing making her position worse than it already was, by paralysis, by organ destruction, or worse.

I read in the article that some anti choice campaigners are livid, saying that she was punished for being abused, that the punishment for being a victim is to be killed...this is clearly idiotic. Being executed is very different from being euthanised. One is a punishment, the other is a release from one or another manner of torture. It is no more moral or righteous to insist that a person live with intolerable pain, than it is to suggest killing the sick simply because they suffer.

Personal choice is an important distinction in this instance, and those who advocate against the personal choice involved here, ought to be ashamed of their hypocrisy.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
First we allowed hospice to drug us into a coma until we die from dehydration, to ease our suffering.
Then we allowed assisted suicide, for any reason you can pay an MD to sign off on, to ease our suffering.
It has been coming for awhile now, but how much longer until the MD tells you when it is time for him to ease your suffering.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnthePhilistine

Would it be better if she heaved herself out a window?

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Thank you very much for your kind words honestly, I am amazed how I've coped with my childhood/adult life, it's not been easy.
It was untill I had a complete breakdown when I was 18 before I knew inside I needed professional help. However the mental health service perhaps the whole world is horrendous, here is 3 pills take daily off you pop!!.
Me personally a part of me died all those years ago, the mind can be a very scary dark place involves emotions that freezes you solid to this day I feel very bitter about the act that happened to me not having the support when I was a child, why didn't I tell the police when I was interviewed what my mother tells me.
Erm perhaps I was in utter shock and frightened. I just hope today's victims get better support then the early 90's
edit on 11/01/2011 by BennyOj because: Spelling

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   

OM MANI PADME HUNG. Very sad. I pray for her.

PTSD is no joke. It is hell. You relive your traumas day and night. It sucks. But there is hope, if only people would have a little more compassion and get out to vote and change marijuana laws.

I wonder if she tried medical cannibis. It saves lives -- especially PTSD sufferers'.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   
these clinics don't allow people to check out on an ad hoc basis, having crushing anxiety, major depression, ptsd and the likes are viewed as terminal by some.
pills don't work for all, talking to a cpn may help some but not everyone.
your wife leaving because she caught you cheating and now you're feeling low doesn't mean you can get on the list for dignitas.
age shouldn't come into, being allowed to choose an end date should.
i applaud the wacky dutch for finally encompassing a wider range of illness.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Namdru

OM MANI PADME HUNG. Very sad. I pray for her.

PTSD is no joke. It is hell. You relive your traumas day and night. It sucks. But there is hope, if only people would have a little more compassion and get out to vote and change marijuana laws.

I wonder if she tried medical cannibis. It saves lives -- especially PTSD sufferers'.

Being in the Netherlands, where cannabis is legal, I'm sure that was at some point an available option. But even that is probably a temporary cessation of symptoms rather than a cure. There's a big difference between pain relief and permanent cessation of the pain.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Namdru

The majority of abuse victim's turn to either drink or drugs, some point in there life, I'm not questioning if marijuana helps or not as I've tried to smoke but I suffer with anxiety and the feeling of being 'stoned' freaks me the fudge out I'd rather smoke a spliff being natural then take fluoxetine daily out of a lab.
But I just can't do it

edit on 11/01/2011 by BennyOj because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnthePhilistine
First we allowed hospice to drug us into a coma until we die from dehydration, to ease our suffering.
Then we allowed assisted suicide, for any reason you can pay an MD to sign off on, to ease our suffering.
It has been coming for awhile now, but how much longer until the MD tells you when it is time for him to ease your suffering.
I understand what you are saying. I briefly mentioned to my doctor suicidal thoughts and she told me if I am having them, she might have to put me in the hospital... this would be to protect me.
I don't agree that suicide should be illegal and that people are treated like criminals or even shot down in the event someone calls emergency, but that the medical profession of psychiatry offers death as a solution... I find disturbing.
Had my doctor said ''well I can help you to die, if that's your choice'' ...well gee I might not be here to see the mistake.

Many people have suffered in various ways on this planet for long periods, to come out at the end of the tunnel and find some peace in life. This woman has suffered a great deal, I understand that... but she is twenty years old with a possible 60-80 or so years ahead of her. With all of those possible years left, who can say she wouldn't find peace and healing.
Life is a gift and I believe we should cherish and nurture it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join