It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Metal detectors... starting a new hobby

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Hi everyone.. i have been planning to buy a metal detector. I am curious to know what you use and how you find their usability and features. What kind of rank would you give to your detector from 1 to 10 ( being best ) in next categories.

Usability

accuracy

ergonomics

Quality

beginner friendly

And information about :

Air depth

ground depth

features, display, manual, accumulator/battery, weight

What device you use and how pleased you have been with it...

All input is welcome !

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Everybody will tell you to buy a good model. As in stay away from cheap Chinese brands and buy a reputable MD brand.

That's great advice for so many reasons, all resulting in more finds. Ten fold maybe more.

But if you can afford to buy twice buy cheap then good. Why? Because so many I know have become excited over the idea of finding treasure, coins, rings etc. They soon stop using their $500 detectors after their 200th ring pull. It takes patience and you must persevere.

Buy a second hand $50 model, see if you dig it (pun intended) then go better.
edit on 12-5-2016 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Well there is no second hand models available in here which would satisfy my "needs". I browsed and what i found were very old models and models which needed a fixing to work if they work. I was adviced to stay away from cheap models ( i wouldn´t buy chinese anyway lol ) rather in price range 300-500 and if i get very much hooked then more expencive one.
I am not afraid of digging i am not a city girl lol. What is my first plan is to search areas that my ancestors used live in land we own
so to me the whole thing has a bigger meaning.. who knows what there could be found.
Hubby and kid is intrested too so i believe device would be in good use.
Thank you and14263
edit on 12-5-2016 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Cool!
Always was kinda fascinating about those freaky guys skimming the beach when everyone left. Their life must be a day to day adventure if you are a treasure hunter.
Maybe one day I will get me one of those big bad magnets and go magnet-fishing, more my kind of style

Yet interested to hear what members say about this

edit on 12-5-2016 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

i have large rare earth magnets and have done some magnet fishing, but they don't attract non-ferrous metals.

but i have found meteorites!

good luck on your hunt OP! can't wait to see what you eventually step into!

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Mine is a Whites spectrum. It cost me a bit over $900 about 12 years ago. It has a digital readout, and tells you what is buried, and how deep. In example, it says " nickel, quarter, penny, bottlecap, pull tab,50 cent piece, ring, gold silver etc. It works great. I have found many coins and rings with it

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

Your Spectrum is a good choice and can be gotten for around $300. I've had a lot of pretty expensive machines but the Spectrum was the best for me, back then.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   
You'll have to take pics of your finds once you get going. Sounds like fun and you never know what you may find!

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Do it ! It's great fun

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

A kitty in the most unusual of places. Love the avatar! LOL

What have you found Zazz?????

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Lots of bottle tops

Depends where you work an area, I enjoy doing Cali and Nevada, on the East Coast you'll find old buttons, lots of buttons!

It is a totally dorky hobby my husband got me into. It's nice going out to the country and just exploring TBH.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

My friend and I got Discovery 1100 Bounty Hunter devices for Christmas. They are sort of a median enterprise, worth something around $160.

Very light, extremely beginner friendly, very simple display (which I like, though elimination is difficult to enact), plastic but solid, adjustable. Takes 2 9V batteries.

Personally I would recommend something with deeper range, more sensitivity (though prices jack up severely). Definitely excellent relative to price though.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: SargonThrall

I´ve heard of Bounty Hunter and some folks are dissapointed with batteries. How long does those batteries allow you to scan before they are out of juice ? I wish they could make a display which shows actual shape of the item like 3d wireframe render sort of.. that would be cool ( maybe some day )

Thank you .. i will take a look of those too

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Garrett Ace 250 AT Accurate Locator Package .. ordered.. now waiting for it

new topics

top topics

join