It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

16 West Point cadets cadets in raised-fist photo won't be punished

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

This undated file image obtained from Twitter on Saturday, May 7, 2016 shows 16 black, female cadets in uniform with their fists raised while posing for a photograph at the United States Military Academy at West Point, N.Y. The U.S. Military Academy said Tuesday, May 10, that it concluded the group photo didn't violate any Department of Defense rules limiting political activity

I find this appalling! And it bothers me even more to know that they will face no consequences.
1. They are in uniform and as such have a certain standard they are to uphold
2. As students of West Point, these are supposed to be our best students
3. If this is our military hopefuls, then we are in trouble!!!

16 West Point cadets in raised-fist photo won't be punished

Sixteen black West Point cadets who posed with raised fists for a pre-graduation picture that sparked debates on race and proper behavior in uniform won't be punished for the gesture, the U.S. Military Academy said Tuesday.

Some observers suggested the women were improperly identifying with the movement while in uniform.

I think that this shows VERY poor judgment on the girls part. Let a group of white men in uniform stand up with their arms raised in the Nazi sign and see what happens. Everyone knows they are giving the Black Panther sign.

Sorry if this has already been posted, I was unable to find it using the search function.

+8 more 
posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

The raised fist predates the Black Panthers and it's a symbol of fighting oppression as well as a sign of solidarity. In the Black Panthers it was a symbol of black power fighting oppression, there was/is nothing anti-white about it.

+8 more 
posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I beg to differ.

This is the black panther leader here......

It's now racist just to be a white person according to sjw's. But this is ok?

No thanks

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   

the group photo didn't violate any Department of Defense rules limiting political activity

Don't be a snowflake about it.

+7 more 
posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

The raised fist predates the Black Panthers and it's a symbol of fighting oppression as well as a sign of solidarity. In the Black Panthers it was a symbol of black power fighting oppression, there was/is nothing anti-white about it.

Because they're so oppressed. Now it's a symbol of hate and supremacy.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Sometimes there are threads posted I find completely unnecessary.

This was not an external matter, it was an internal matter - - - and its been handled appropriately.

Done.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

The New Black Panthers are disavowed by the Black Panthers, they even went to court over the name and that's why there's the word NEW added in... it can't be helped if some bigoted moron group partakes in bigot activities while using names and symbols that have nothing to do with it.

It isn't racist just to be white according to SJWs don't be a bandwagoner.

link   
Come on really? I think we both know better. Wanna try again

Group photo no raised fist

Black Panthers HATE group

At least let it be the same for Everyone!!!!!! How about we all stop with the hate!

link   

Why don't you just choose not to be offended and get over it?

edit on thWed, 11 May 2016 13:19:02 -0500America/Chicago520160280 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee
Then don't click on them...solves all kinds of problems.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I can just imagine you guys complaining about this in the 60s

You'd be on the wrong side of history then, and it's obvious they're doing it because of excessive black deaths at the hands of police now.
edit on 11-5-2016 by WhateverYouSay because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   
My questions are:

Did their token white friend take the photo or was it a black male cadet?

How often do the segregate themselves from the rest of their cadets?

This photo is not inclusionary, and personally I don't care, but I do care about two different things.

The people that think everything should be inclusionary to everyone, aren't key board warrioring. Just again proving, that most times they don't care about an issue, and only care about personal money/power.

Two, how much do you want to bet, next time one of those girls THINKS that they are not being included in something/anything, that they ummm....another name for a female dog and moan about it.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Ya it goes back long before the panthers used it.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   

The original Black Panther Party dwindled and is no more as an active organization.

The New Black Panther Party is considered a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Members of the original Black Panther Party, which has no connection to the NBPP, have heavily criticized the New Black Panther Party. An open letter from the Dr. Huey P. Newton Foundation, which is run by members of the original Black Panther Party, decries the NBPP for being a hateful and unconstructive group. Bobby Seale, a famous founding member of the original Panthers, calls the organization "a black racist hate group."

link

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: WhateverYouSay
Actually that photo stole quite a bit from the man standing beside them....but that doesn't matter does it

Thanks to an old article by Gianni Mura, today I discovered the truth: that white man in the photo is, perhaps, the biggest hero of that night in 1968. His name was Peter Norman, he was an Australian who arrived in the 200 meters finals after having ran an amazing 20.22 in the semi finals. Only the two Americans, Tommie “The Jet” Smith and John Carlos had done better: 20.14 and 20.12, respectively.
The time for the finals arrives, and the outsider Peter Norman runs the race of a lifetime, improving on his time yet again. He finishes the race at 20.06, his best performance ever, an Australian record that still stands today, 47 years later.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74
I'm not saying that no one raised their hands before black panthers. I mean really, come on.....

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
The only thing obvious to me is that these are West Point cadets who have every right to be proud of a remarkable achievement and a commitment to serve.

I'd stand next to them and raise my fist as well.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   

So what are you all upset about then? There's zero proof there was anything bigoted about the photo.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

The New Black Panthers are disavowed by the Black Panthers, they even went to court over the name and that's why there's the word NEW added in... it can't be helped if some bigoted moron group partakes in bigot activities while using names and symbols that have nothing to do with it.

It isn't racist just to be white according to SJWs don't be a bandwagoner.

So since the KKK is no longer as violent as they use to be, does that make them less racist?

The black panthers fist is the same regardless of "which" group....

If they were doing the "hail" arm raise , and were associated w another group and not the KKK would that make it less racist

Come on now. Let's not play this semantics game were both better than that

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   

No you are just saying that if that a black person does it now it must mean they hold the same views as the new black panthers and must be hateful racist individuals.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join