It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Threat of terrorist attack from Northern Ireland a "Strong possibility" for UK

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Breaking news: The UK government has raised the threat level from Northern Ireland terrorists from Moderate to Substantial, meaning a terrorist attack on the UK from the IRA (or individuals continuing that ideology) is highly likely.

At Easter the New IRA, the group responsible for the murder of prison officer Adrian Ismay in March, warned that its members were "determined to take the war to the age-old enemy of our nation".

It's important to remember that this is not the first time the level has been raised in response to threats from the group calling itself the "New IRA". The level was raised in 2010, and not lowered again until 2012.

It's worthwhile remembering that while much of the world is focussed on the threat from certain sources, there are significant threats from other groups, as there has been for decades.

This is just breaking at the moment and little information is available.

I will update this thread as more news becomes apparent.

BBC News
edit on 11-5-2016 by Rocker2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Such a shame, I thought all this kind of stuff was almost done there, but then I guess I am not really surprised.

Hatred and bigotry takes a long time to work its way out of a society.

a reply to: Rocker2013

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   

As the new generations mature and take on the ideologies of their peers these ideologies become more extreme because the younger generation wants to emulate and better their peers. For this reason it doesn't surprise me that the IRA terror threat to the UK has reared its head again.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Breaking news: The UK government has raised the threat level from Northern Ireland terrorists from Moderate to Substantial, meaning a terrorist attack on the UK from the IRA (or individuals continuing that ideology) is highly likely.

You mean you guys don't have a terror threat color bar to scare everyone with?

Just moderate to subsatantially threatening…

Amateurs.

You gotta go sirens and blinking lights to get people really 'threatened', lol.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

As the new generations mature and take on the ideologies of their peers these ideologies become more extreme because the younger generation wants to emulate and better their peers. For this reason it doesn't surprise me that the IRA terror threat to the UK has reared its head again.

I don't know, we've seen a massive decline in threats and actual attacks, so clearly something has changed in the psyche of these people.

I think it's a complex situation where the numbers of those acting out are far lower, but their individual fanaticism is often far higher.

As society evolves to reject their views the more extreme become increasingly desperate to inflict their will. The same thing seems to be happening with the far-right in various nations. As they become more desperate, as they are increasingly backed into a corner and see the nation moving on past their ignorances, they become more violent and determined to make a "last stand" for their cause.

So, while there are fewer people engaged with this kind of ideology, they're often more desperate, and more violent.

That's my belief anyway.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Actually, although the increase in the terror threat level is note worthy, its probably important to remember that it just rasies the level to the middle of the scale. The UK threat levels are as follows:

Threat levels are designed to give a broad indication of the likelihood of a terrorist attack.

LOW means an attack is unlikely.
MODERATE means an attack is possible, but not likely
SUBSTANTIAL means an attack is a strong possibility
SEVERE means an attack is highly likely
CRITICAL means an attack is expected imminently

So in other words, the Northern Ireland terror threat level on the mainland UK is a strong possibility but still a way off highly likely and even further off imminent.

Calm down.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Amateurs.

Yeah, how dare they warn the public and how dare they give us any indication at all so that we might be more aware of our surroundings and our environment!

Damn fascists coming up with their evil ways to warn us all of potential threats!

/sarcasm

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

I don't know, we've seen a massive decline in threats and actual attacks by these people, so clearly something has changed in the psyche of these people.

I think it's a complex situation where the numbers of those acting out are far smaller, but their fanaticism is often far higher.

As society evolves to reject their views the more extreme become increasingly desperate to inflict their will. The same thing seems to be happening with the far-right in various nations. As they become more desperate, as they are increasingly backed into a corner and see the nation moving on past their ignorances, they become more violent and determines to make a "last stand" for their cause.

So, while there are fewer people engaged with this kind of ideology, they're often more desperate, and more violent.

That's my belief anyway.

Yea, what's happened is that they haven't made any gains in the recent elections to the Norther Ireland Parliament and a number of high profile disenfranchised members have been arrested, mostly in relation to gangland activities in the Republic. so in order to get the heat off and distract from the fact that they are in disarray they start yapping about restarting the troubles on the mainland in the hope that it causes the authorities to lessen the pressure on their drug dealing and weapons selling activities.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Well said Rocker2013, I think you are corrct that the number of active participants in "The Troubles" is much reduced from the 80s, and the smaller number are more desperate to continue the "struggle".

In the late 90s I had real hope for N.I. finally having peace, I just hope it does not all flare up again like it used to in the 80s, especially the tit-for-tat killings. However, this threat is more akin to the mainland attacks on major targets in past years and I sincerely hope there is no resurgence of attacks on the mainland.

Violence is no solution.

originally posted by: Rocker2013

I don't know, we've seen a massive decline in threats and actual attacks, so clearly something has changed in the psyche of these people.

I think it's a complex situation where the numbers of those acting out are far lower, but their individual fanaticism is often far higher.

That's my belief anyway.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Woah...its the early 90s again. My time machine worked.

I was actually right across the river when the bomb at the royal festival hall went off. We all instinctively ducked. That mother was LOUD.

Having lived through not being allowed to lock my bike on Oxford street at Xmas time because it could an IRA pipe bomb, i do not wish to go back to those days.

Lets hope this is the usual raising fear bullsh*t governments love to do so much

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: redshoes

It's important to note that the threat level for the UK from international terrorism is currently at Severe.
This new threat exists within that current status, so technically we are already at a level of Severe, and the IRA threat is a part of that while being considered individually to be Substantial.

It's hard to explain it, but it seems as though they have information suggesting something, specifically related to the IRA, but the level is being set independently from the threat from International terrorism because they have the capability to differentiate that threat from others.

Really they're doing nothing but adding on the IRA threat to the already Severe status, as this threat would normally be considered to be a part of that - suggesting they have information making it possible for them to deem this to be less of a threat within the bigger threat...

Okay, I know I'm not making this much clearer lol

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   

That's an interesting theory, and I hope you're right and that it's nothing but bluster and an attempt to distract.
I'm sure that even if they did try something our agencies would deal with it. We have a great record of preventing attacks in this country so far and I have faith in our agencies.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Amateurs.

There is actually a colour code that I think goes from green to black. If I go into one of the offices the company I work for leases the current security level is listed at reception.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I'm born and bred in london, from an irish family. So have quite a lot of knowledge on the subject, also walking passed a phone box in Ealing years ago just before a an explosion.

My opinion is this.. The ira were quite active up until a September 11th 2001. Then the world changed.
This was the beginning of the end for thr ira, because after that the view of terrorism and amount of coverage it received altered dramatically.
The ira could never operate in the way they did previously because terrorism is viewed and dealt with differently these days.

They may continue doing small acts on local rivals but on the scale of bombing public places as they did in the past will never happen again, or they are competely finished... and they know it.

My impression is that the ira runs more like an underground/black market business these days, similar to mafia style dealings.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Their mainly targeting drug dealers *heroin *...

And anti social elements I doubt they have the capacity to attack the mainland ..

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: robbeh

And anti social elements I doubt they have the capacity to attack the mainland ..

They are targeting drug dealers because they are involved in it themselves..

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Well, I personally believe that of all the threats facing our nation today, I would be far more concerned about the sort of terrorism that the Conservative government are involved in, than the sort of terrorism which comes across from Ireland from time to time.

Yes, I am sure that the seperatists are capable (as is anyone with a GCSE in science and time on their hands) of building bombs and carrying out assaults on the people of Britain. However, they are not capable of doing nearly as much harm, to as many people at once, as those Thatcher worshipping, pus gutted scumbags from the blue half of the Houses of Parliament.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon

originally posted by: robbeh

They are targeting drug dealers because they are involved in it themselves..
true they dnt like to lose money taxing the competition just isn't cost effective now ..

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Interesting new development, one that I doubt Theresa May will appreciate:

Democratic Unionist MP Jeffrey Donaldson is seeking an urgent Privy Council briefing to discuss the new security assessment. "It is evident that dissident republicans are now active in Great Britain and are examining potential targets. Obviously that's a matter of concern," he said.

Unless I missed a previous warning about what was going on, he seems to be suggesting that there's already been evidence of a terrorist cell working within Britain and preparing to perform violent acts.

I'm pretty sure I would have noticed if our government had reported anything like this.

As said, I don't think May is going to be pleased about this statement being made, it goes quite a bit further than our governments statement of there being an increased threat.

Just to clarify for those who might not understand it: England is the largest nation within the UK (not including Scotland and Wales), Great Britain is the group of three, England, Wales and Scotland (effectively the "mainland" of the UK), the UK is England, Scotland and Wales, with Northern Ireland too.

So, when they talk about the threat being to Britain, they mean the largest part, encompassing England, Wales and Scotland, without Northern Ireland.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   

So in other words, the Northern Ireland terror threat level on the mainland UK is a strong possibility but still a way off highly likely and even further off imminent.

Calm down.

I scoff at the whole imminent threat level monitoring in the news. Its fear mongering and nothing more. I know, I live in terror central, the US.

Since the recent attacks in the EU, they been running the terror threat level mind meld play book over there, too.

Be verrrry afraid, lulz. Something could happen any minute. You do get this is part of the justification for clamping down on civil rights and liberties?

One actual terror event is good for a thousand scares--- every time their raise the threat level a notch, that is.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join