It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sea Level rise information very scarce.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   
After watching some PBS shows about the coastal area of my state, some information was offered, which I cannot seem to verify. It was said that the sea level has been rising for the last 30,000 years and there was even proof offered of ancient cities that were found just off the coast under a little water. So I set out to find some more information on this. Perhaps I don't know what to ask, but no matter how the question is presented, you are inundated with global warming stuff, that couldn't possibly be attached to this.

Is there some embargo against historical data if it's inconvenient to the cause?

I did find this in Google Scholar, but even there, you have to wade through so much current gloom and doom, and find next to nothing.
www.sciencedirect.com...

The rate of sea-level rise was 0.4 mm per year between 4500 and 1500 yr B.P. and slowed down to 0.2 mm per year from 1500 yr B.P. to present time.

I am not out to discredit AGW, but if we have to hide truthful facts in fear of questioning the grand machine, who are we really fooling?

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Scarce as in a new study was published in the last 48 hours? Sea level rise takes 5 islands with it

Sea-level rise, erosion and coastal flooding are some of the greatest challenges facing humanity from climate change.The Conversation Recently at least five reef islands in the remote Solomon Islands have been lost completely to sea-level rise and coastal erosion, and a further six islands have been severely eroded. These islands lost to the sea range in size from one to five hectares. They supported dense tropical vegetation that was at least 300 years old. Nuatambu Island, home to 25 families, has lost more than half of its habitable area, with 11 houses washed into the sea since 2011. This is the first scientific evidence, published in Environmental Research Letters, that confirms the numerous anecdotal accounts from across the Pacific of the dramatic impacts of climate change on coastlines and people.

edit on 10-5-2016 by bknapple32 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Here are some maps which show sea levels in the late Cretaceous, specifically the continent of Applachia. I would have beautiful beach front property if we could get a return to those levels.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Are you sure the report was that sea levels have been rising for 30,000 years? It would seem strange for sea levels to be rising through the previous glacial period.

Embargo?

scholar.google.com...

edit on 5/10/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: network dudeI think the reason why there's little definitive explanations as to the apparent sea-level changes...

I say 'apparent' changes in sea level because no one has conclusive proof the water is rising...
rather than the sea-floor sinking to create higher tides & sea-levels

scientists are suddenly 'pretty sure' that the very bottom of the north America crustal plate is progressively crumbling off and falling into the hotter, more fluid rock layer known as the Mantle layer (some 10s -to- 100s of Km. from the surface)

math models are what is being used...skewed from the bias that melted ice has to be causing rising sea levels...

math models of EQ frequencies traveling at different rates are resulting in science extrapolating that the NA plate is losing its' thickness from the bottom layers of the crustal plate... the thinkers' have not as yet connected the dots that a thinner ocean bottom will stretch the crust downward and thus nullify the increased water volume with a deeper 'bowl' or deeper ocean bottom ..... ergo - very few islands getting swamped under water by rising seal levels...

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
This is just more proof that we had civilization during Ice Age. Ice Age didn't effect the whole world. If it did the planet would've been frozen and no life would've survived. Ice age only came to the North of Canada, Europe and Russia.
The only reason why there could be civilization under water is because the huge ice wall shrink the ocean due to water used to being frozen. Therefore we humans had to migrate to lower land in order to get food. You can't get food where there is no water. When the Ice Age melted the water rise like crazy. Just look at Venice.

edit on 10-5-2016 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap
When the Ice Age melted the water rise like crazy. Just look at Venice.

Bad example. Venice's structures are on wooden piles driven into a substrate of sand and clay. The city is and has been subsiding for centuries.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: bknapple32

Actually, that was what prompted me to try to find this information. If you don't know history, you might think that sea level rise it something unprecedented and new, it' s not. The amount that can be attributed to AGW is a good question, but we would have to see what the level of rise was in the past. (Before the industrial revolution)

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That would give me either beach front or really close to it. Perhaps I should hold on to this house for a bit.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
That would give me either beach front or really close to it. Perhaps I should hold on to this house for a bit.

I just started up my Humvee and my Lambo, plus I cranked the AC and opened all the windows in my house. Ocean front real estate here we come!!!

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Are you sure the report was that sea levels have been rising for 30,000 years? It would seem strange for sea levels to be rising through the previous glacial period.

Embargo?

scholar.google.com...

Kind of. (If that is any measure of my assurance on this) What the show was about it ancient civilizations on the coastal areas of NC. (Lost tribe) They were able to dig up evidence of cities that slipped into the sea before anyone was able to record any history about them. The 30,000 years was something that caught my attention, and based on the show being done by a group of rock huggers, I can only hope they would know a little about their field.

But the fact that you really can't find easily accessible information showing the answer to a really basic question has me wondering.
"what is the sea level rise over the last 30,000 years?" I realize we didn't have ways to measure real time, but they made that claim based on something. I would hope not just guesses. Which is way I brought it here and offered a conspiracy angle to it. If I can't find the answer, it's "them" keeping it from me. And after a ludicrous assertion like that, I would expect Phage to show up and throw a link out.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I just started up my Humvee and my Lambo, plus I cranked the AC and opened all the windows in my house. Ocean front real estate here we come!!!

I knew I could count on you brother.
edit on 10-5-2016 by network dude because: augustusmasonicus drinks skunky beer.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Sea levels rose quite dramatically at the end of the last ice age - starting from around 20,000 years ago (but would have been falling until then)

They probably peaked at the height of the hypsithermal, around 8,000 years ago, before falling again during the subsequent Neoglacial. But have since begun rising again in recent decades.

This is not exactly a secret.

However, past sea level rises didnt really matter for us since london, New York and Calcutta did not exist then. Although the inhabitants of Doggerland may beg to differ ......

Regardless of whether anyone thinks human activities are affecting sea levels, any rises at all today are bad news for humans. A fall in sea levels might however be useful.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

I had not heard that angle. Makes you wonder how quickly something catastrophic might happen. (Arizona beach front)

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyMayhew
Sea levels rose quite dramatically at the end of the last ice age - starting from around 20,000 years ago (but would have been falling until then)

They probably peaked at the height of the hypsithermal, around 8,000 years ago, before falling again during the subsequent Neoglacial. But have since begun rising again in recent decades.

This is not exactly a secret.

However, past sea level rises didnt really matter for us since london, New York and Calcutta did not exist then. Although the inhabitants of Doggerland may beg to differ ......

Regardless of whether anyone thinks human activities are affecting sea levels, any rises at all today are bad news for humans. A fall in sea levels might however be useful.

One of the questions I had was "why isn't this common knowledge?" You might think that if it wasn't a mystery, why would people build Miami, then have that silly look on their face when it's threatening to fall into the ocean. Nature isn't interested in how much the land value is. (Or houses on the outer banks for that matter)

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyMayhew

Thanks for that link. It's strange how you cannot get that answer without adding climate change into it. I'd like to see what the rate was up until the 1800's, to compare the rate now. Trying to put that in perspective with how rapidly if at all change is taking place. I'd love to see a graph on that.

Thanks again for your guidance.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

You seem to be implying this information is hard to find because apparently Al Gore has ordered some kind of media blackout on all past sea level mention.

Did you try...the Wikipedia page?

Sea Level Rise

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Sea level overall is falling but you wouldn't know it from whats on internet.

Nothing to do with man either.

At times during Earth's long history, the configuration of the continents and sea floor have changed due to plate tectonics. This affects global sea level by altering the depths of various ocean basins and also by altering glacier distribution with resulting changes in glacial-interglacial cycles

Long term changes in the mean sea level are the result of changes in the oceanic crust, with a downward trend expected to continue in the very long term

ref
edit on b50216505 by bigyin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   

After watching some PBS shows about the coastal area of my state, some information was offered, which I cannot seem to verify. It was said that the sea level has been rising for the last 30,000 years and there was even proof offered of ancient cities that were found just off the coast under a little water. So I set out to find some more information on this. Perhaps I don't know what to ask, but no matter how the question is presented, you are inundated with global warming stuff, that couldn't possibly be attached to this.

Is there some embargo against historical data if it's inconvenient to the cause?

I did find this in Google Scholar, but even there, you have to wade through so much current gloom and doom, and find next to nothing.
www.sciencedirect.com...

The rate of sea-level rise was 0.4 mm per year between 4500 and 1500 yr B.P. and slowed down to 0.2 mm per year from 1500 yr B.P. to present time.

I am not out to discredit AGW, but if we have to hide truthful facts in fear of questioning the grand machine, who are we really fooling?

Here's a good one for you. A few miles from where i live none the less. You can actually still go out into the ocean and scuba dive and see old homes. A storm came and wiped out an entire part of our town called south cape may. Which is all but gone

en.m.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join