It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia offers help to Fort Mcmurray

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

Why the hell would they not accept this help?

Seems a bit useless to NOT let people help you, even when you CAN do it yourself.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

Seeing as you are from Texas, I can understand your anti Russian bias. After all big bad Russia is seeking to destroy the world, while your country is a great savior of the world. This is no longer the Cold War, time has moved on. I suggest you study history and read about the vast destruction your country has unleashed upon the world. You are in no authority to lecture anyone on how evil and destructive Russia is.

As a Canadian I welcome any help from any country.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

We are currently receiving help from around the globe.

Amazing how that works, but firefighters are a whole different breed, as they are the ones running towards something most are running way from.

Hope they get it under control soon.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

Russia and Canada used to get along great.

Then a little thing happened, but I just don't remember what it was...oh wait it was a little thing that has to with Crimea and it's annexation by Russia.

That soured many countries outlook of accepting help from them...but that seems to be a big reason many countries find it difficult to take help from Russia...but that is just my observation of things.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

Don't forget the dangerous fly-overs by Russian fighters, buzzing American warships and NATO aircraft.

I really don't want Russian pilots buzzing Canadian towns and cities and I'm not too certain about Russian hockey players either. Some recent incidents in Canadian hockey arenas leave me wondering if we might not have to ban them.

There's a lot of ill will.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h
Then a little thing happened, but I just don't remember what it was...oh wait it was a little thing that has to with Crimea and it's annexation by Russia.

That soured many countries outlook of accepting help from them...but that seems to be a big reason many countries find it difficult to take help from Russia...but that is just my observation of things.

That was just the 'straw' for Harper.

Canadian-Russian relations were put in the freezer almost immediately after Harper took office. Almost makes me forget the big plans Putin and Clarkson (GG) laid the groundwork for in 2003.

Regardless, due to geography we will always require some form of a relationship with them, so it might as well be as good as it can be.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

So yours is a campaign of sustained paranoia... History is extensive and not without resentments. It's as if no one can change because an individual, or group is in a comfy zone of beliefs, and a mindset of "remember this". You're a dinosaur as it pertains to then and now.
Classically, your still cowering under your school desk, hopeful of the duck and cover.
When a hand is extended and offered in good will, the offering nation would be foolish to try some other agenda considering the beneficiary nation's populace view.....THE VIEW THE OFFERING NATION IS TRYING TO WIN!! ...DUH!!
Yes, my argument is based in focusing on the problem(s) at hand...THE NOW. Your ideology keeps us stagnant in perpetual, undo paranoia and will NEVER allow beneficial interaction because we "don't like them".

Grow up..

I await your opposition/defense...because as of this posting, your posts are entirely offensive in their intent.
edit on 9-5-2016 by EternalShadow because: emphasis

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I see some people would rather jump to conclusions and blame the US / NATO for their own ignorance.

In addition to turning down Russian aid, they also turned down aid from the US, Mexico, Australia, Taiwan, Israel and the Palestinian Authority, who have all offered help in fighting the northern Alberta wildfire, but Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says there’s no need for international assistance.

They are using resources from other provinces.

People should get all the facts before making false claims / out right lies.

Trudeau says Canada sincerely appreciates the international support, but it isn’t necessary.

He says water bombers and firefighters from other provinces, including Ontario, B.C., Quebec and New Brunswick, are getting a handle on the situation.

Trudeau turns down Russian, U.S., Mexican offers to help fight Fort Mac wildfire
edit on 9-5-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-5-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Why the hell would they not accept this help?

First, the planes would need to traverse Russia. Then they would have to overfly Canada. Water bombers tend not to be designed for long range flight. This would necessitate logistical support along the route. All this might be more effort than it's worth, especially if Putin is going to use it for some sort of leverage.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

In this case they're talking about Il-76 Mainstays carrying something similar to the MAFFS unit the Air Force installs on C-130s to assist firefighting. They'd only require one, maybe two fuel stops.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I think we can handle it. This is a HUGE country and this isn't our first wildfire. Nice of Russia to offer assistance though. They probably understand. Having the same type of country. Huge and mostly uninhabited. As Lewis Black said when he toured Canada. "From Toronto to Thunder Bay there's nothing. From Thunder Bay to Winnipeg there's LESS."

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   

AFP news agency ‏@AFP 1h1 hour ago

#BREAKING Wildfire spared 90 percent of Fort McMurray, says Alberta premier

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

I am a subscriber to The Earth Observatory website and receive a daily update. An overhead view of the burned and burning areas was posted today from May 5th:

Fires

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit
Russia and Canada used to get along great. Harper ruined a good portion of our relations with many world leaders, we should repair as many of those relationships as possible.

Russia and Canada have far too much in common to not be comrades.
I say we could use their help sometimes, and apparently they do have very good fire fighting skills and equipment.

False.

Your boy PM Justin is the one that not only already refused Russia's (and the US and Mexico's help), but also refuses to go visit Fort McMurray, currently by far the biggest crisis in Canada.

Why?

Alberta does not vote Liberal, and Justin the prick's attitude is to "punish" Albertans for it.

And Justin has only been in power a few weeks.

Justin and the Liberals.
Despicable, like NO other

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: M5xaz

Thank you for not only pointing out that he's only been in power a short time but logic is not required when partisan BS comes into play.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
I see some people would rather jump to conclusions and blame the US / NATO for their own ignorance.

In addition to turning down Russian aid, they also turned down aid from the US, Mexico, Australia, Taiwan, Israel and the Palestinian Authority, who have all offered help in fighting the northern Alberta wildfire, but Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says there’s no need for international assistance.

They are using resources from other provinces.

People should get all the facts before making false claims / out right lies.

Trudeau says Canada sincerely appreciates the international support, but it isn’t necessary.

He says water bombers and firefighters from other provinces, including Ontario, B.C., Quebec and New Brunswick, are getting a handle on the situation.

Trudeau turns down Russian, U.S., Mexican offers to help fight Fort Mac wildfire

Trudeau's statements about not needing any help came at least 12hours after the PMO refused to comment on Russia offerring help.

Why is that? If he didnt want the help he could have said that yesturday or this morning. He waits till after lunch today to make that statement....

edit on pMon, 09 May 2016 21:07:35 -05002016 135Mon, 09 May 2016 21:07:35 -0500pmAmerica/ChicagoMonday by MALBOSIA because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: tweetie

I am a subscriber to The Earth Observatory website and receive a daily update. An overhead view of the burned and burning areas was posted today from May 5th:

Fires

Can you get a current image? I am not sure how to use that site. It says May 5th .

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   

That's their most current, published image. May 5th. If they show any later ones I will post a link.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I'm sorry Canada, but Russia only wants to help because it helps them earn a little face so close to the US.

That is it.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   

He missed out on a good opportunity for everyone to work together on something, pride goeth before the fall. Plus while he sits there on his ass, somebodies house burns down that could have been saved by help from another country.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join