It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush: Comments had 'unintended consequence'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
This article I read on CNN.com made me kind of laugh and go "Well, duh." Bush actually speaks up when reporters interview him about mistakes he made during his first term. Though, not many, he does admit to two of them.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush says he now sees that tough talk can have an "unintended consequence."

During a round-table interview with reporters from 14 newspapers, the president, who not long ago declined to identify any mistakes he'd made during his first term, expressed misgivings for two of his most famous expressions: "Bring 'em on," in reference to Iraqis attacking U.S. troops, and his vow to get Osama bin Laden "dead or alive."

"Sometimes, words have consequences you don't intend them to mean," Bush said Thursday. "'Bring 'em on' is the classic example, when I was really trying to rally the troops and make it clear to them that I fully understood, you know, what a great job they were doing. And those words had an unintended consequence. It kind of, some interpreted it to be defiance in the face of danger. That certainly wasn't the case."

Full Story

Here's one of the comments I laughed at:

"I want justice. I can remember getting back to the White House, and Laura said, 'Why did you do that for?' I said, 'Well, it was just an expression that came out. I didn't rehearse it.'

Give me a break George. Well, at least he admits a mistake or two.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Everyone knows about this problem that he has for years. It's allright George, we know what you mean even though sometimes you don't.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by dixon
Everyone knows about this problem that he has for years. It's allright George, we know what you mean even though sometimes you don't.

I'm sorry,i dont think its "allright" the president of the united states should be a master of his native language,or at least have a passing understanding of the impact that his words will have on the people he is charged to serve and protect.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I would agree with you but for the fact that the majority of Americans knew of this continuing problem years back and still voted for 4 more yrs of his leadership.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I would agree with you but for the fact that the majority of Americans knew of this continuing problem years back and still voted for 4 more yrs of his leadership.

Considering the topic i believe his lack of "leadership" is what landed himself in this pickle of jam. I believe America re-elected Dubya based on fear politics and so called moral issues awarded him another 4 years in the white house.

Regarding his "Bring 'em on" comments. I knew that day when i saw his cowboy like mentality speak before a presidential like reaction America's troops would be in big doggy do-doo. How does "Bring 'em on" possibly refer to rallying troops and letting them know what a great job they're doing? This obviously proves that he's unable to react as a president on his own without having someone rehearse it, and above all he admits to it now!

2nd terms will always reveal some, if not all truths behind the 1st go in the white house..

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by syntaxer

Considering the topic i believe his lack of "leadership" is what landed himself in this pickle of jam. I believe America re-elected Dubya based on fear politics and so called moral issues awarded him another 4 years in the white house.

I just don't understand why the President should be concerned about our moral issues. Why is that his business?

2nd terms will always reveal some, if not all truths behind the 1st go in the white house..

I hope and pray for that day to come.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Well, thank your heavens that constitutionally there will be no 3rd term. But in the interests of discussion, is there any Dubya mini-me that you would not wish for to inherit the leadership of America ?

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Well, thank your heavens that constitutionally there will be no 3rd term. But in the interests of discussion, is there any Dubya mini-me that you would not wish for to inherit the leadership of America ?

I can name a couple:

1. Jeb Bush
2. John Ashcroft
3. Donald Rumsfeld
4. Tom Ridge

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Boy, nothing get's by George W does it? Wow, words can have consequences, what an amazing revelation. No wonder he is our fearless leader - I mean a true mental GIANT!

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
On behalf of Bush, his fear tactics and threats are what got him re-elected.
Not his English.

You go, George.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
On behalf of Bush, his fear tactics and threats are what got him re-elected.
Not his English.

You go, George.

You forgot his key advantage: Idiots.

No offense to anyone, but the majority that voted for Bush obviously had no grasp of what's going on.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Of course Dubya didn't stop to think what effect his statements would have. He's never been held accountable for anything in his life. Poppy Bush and the boys have always been there to bail his arse out when things got tight.

I'd love for Bush to go to Baghdad, stand in the square and give one of his little speeches about bringing them freedom and Democracy. Then we'd get a real sense of how they feel about his ideas. The effect? I'd give him ten minutes before they.. I better not continue with that line of thought.. the spooks might get pissed.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I thought I voted for Bush the first time around because I thought he would make a good President. Boy was I ever wrong.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
An informed electorate would be rid of Dubya on the strength of either of those remarks alone when compared with performance. Except maybe for diehard fans of cowboy movies and vigilante justice. But Bush and his criminal gang could create and rely on an underinformed electorate, and several other factors, to remain in the Whitehouse for a short time.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmulder

I can name a couple:

1. Jeb Bush
2. John Ashcroft
3. Donald Rumsfeld
4. Tom Ridge

Actually, only Jeb has a chance.

And the fact that he went to the tsunami area with Colin Powell is quite telling. That's a photo-op and a propaganda.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita
Actually, only Jeb has a chance.

Well, that's true. Still I don't want to see any of them inherit the Presidency.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   

when martial law will be declared, there will be also irrelevant law changes i quarantee you. Ill bet that bush will be the first president that will lead the country for more then 8 years.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by motionknight
Ill bet that bush will be the first president that will lead the country for more then 8 years.

I'll see that bet, and raise you the Whitehouse that Bush will not last two terms. Enough is enough.

top topics

join