It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"EX-TAG" on ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   
When starting a new topic and i want to ADD an outside comment, i cannot find the "EX-TAG". Any help appreciated, thanks.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Is that not the cloud icon in the toolbar?

a reply to: tommo39

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   
That is wot I meant

See the picture above.

Cheers Domo1

a reply to: Domo1

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: 1984hasarrived

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   

As an easy way to do it, when you're about to quote the external source simply type [ ex] after the quote type [ /ex] (simply remove the spaces). That will do the same thing.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   

When starting a new topic and i want to ADD an outside comment, i cannot find the "EX-TAG". Any help appreciated, thanks.
Thanks to all who replied,appreciated.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I will add also that Zaphod's suggestion (typing in the tags by hand) is more convenient than the cloud if you have pasted in your text already.
The cloud demands that you type all the text into a small box. Typing brackets round what you've got is so much easier.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
The cloud demands that you type all the text into a small box. Typing brackets round what you've got is so much easier.
I agree that typing the ex tags is easy, however you're not forced into putting anything into that box in fact that's a very bad idea if your external source text has more than one paragraph. You shouldn't be "typing" the external source in most cases anyway, it should be mostly copy and paste though a couple of times I've quoted from a book that I couldn't cite online where i has to type but that's rare.

Here's a tip on a better way to use the cloud icon, click it and then click ok without copying or pasting, or typing anything. Then you will have the word "Text" between the ex-tags. Copy the external material, then highlight that word "text", right click and choose "paste". That keeps the paragraph format intact if the external source has 2 paragraphs, pasting the text into the little box doesn't.

edit on 201659 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

new topics

top topics

join