It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mitt Romney met privately with William Kristol, who is leading the effort to draft an independent ca

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Mitt Romney met privately with William Kristol, who is leading the effort to draft an independent candidate

In spite of his insistence that he will not run, Mitt Romney is being courted this week by a leading conservative commentator to reconsider and jump into the volatile 2016 presidential race as an independent candidate.

William Kristol, the longtime editor of the Weekly Standard magazine and a leading voice on the right, met privately with the 2012 nominee on Thursday afternoon to discuss the possibility of launching an independent bid, potentially with Romney as its

www.washingtonpost.com... ndependent-bid
So it begins...

What bothers me about having seen this is that i've recently learned that,
The Constitution states that if no one reaches the needed electoral votes, the house can choose the president.

If that is correct this could become a rather nasty mess.

It does appear that the Establishment are growing fearful of losing their Grip on America and thus their (only in the family's) hold on big money too along with big oil and everything else they've been taking unlawfully from the people.

Thoughts?
edit on 5/7/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/7/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/5/2016 by ArMaP because: use the original title of the news article

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

The article does not say Magic Undies is running, only that one political pundit has asked him to run.

edit on 7-5-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: never go in against a Sicilian with death is on the line

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Boy they are serious about making Hillary president aren't they?

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Magic Undies, good one
hah!

Ok perhaps i missed that, but, nevertheless, it's interesting what levels they're pushing this too just to hold onto their power.

You don't have to agree with me, i'm already aware you don't.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10
Ok perhaps i missed that, but, nevertheless, it's interesting what levels they're pushing this too just to hold onto their power.

Some of them do not want Trump but the RNC is supporting him. I would have thought it to be more conspiratorial if Reince Priebus did not endorse him right away but since he did people like Kristol are just pushing sour grapes.

Another way to look at it is Trump can spin this by saying he does not want the establishment types like Kristol or Romany endorsing him since Magic Mitt is a loser.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   
If this is true , it is past time for me to break with the Republican/Conservative movement . I had been a "life-long" liberal from the 70's till about the turn of the century . I saw the insanity starting with that group . I moved over .The Democratic Party is no longer . Now the insanity has hit the GOP. Even though I would claim myself to be a Libertarian , I sided more with conservatives . Up to this load of "stuff'" . Time to go full Libertarian now. Maybe Sanders if he doesnt get the nomination and runs as an Independent.
Peace

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   

The sole purposes of all regimes, just like life and various man-made institutions, is to perpetuate itself. The continued survival of the regime and its power is of paramount importance. This is why so many governments remove to give anything that goes against the Party Line. It is a threat to their power and continued survival. Things are only given if they will contribute to perpetuating the system.

This is no different.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

False, misleading title.
The article is speculation, suggesting that something MIGHT be being planned, and that Romney COULD be their choice, IF he decides to do it.

Either way, it's great to watch, because it shows once again that the Republican party is splitting into two, becoming weaker, becoming desperate. They were already losing support across the country with the youth leaning more and more to the left, and now they're splitting their older base between two groups while the Dems are pretty much unchanged and unaffected.

This is all only making the Dems even stronger.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I have never registered myself with any party, and this is why. They change on you and you turn around one day and discover they aren't who they were when you signed on anymore.

I think people like Kristol and Romney are more interested in maintaining their cushy positions in Washington. People are so invested in hating big corps, but the reality is that the richest place in the US right now is the three counties right around DC. The average salary in and around that area is 6 digits. People living/working inside the Washington beltway are living high on the hog on the rest of us. Kristol is part of that and invested in it staying the same.

It NEEDS to change.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Some of them do not want Trump but the RNC is supporting him. I would have thought it to be more conspiratorial if Reince Priebus did not endorse him right away but since he did people like Kristol are just pushing sour grapes.

Another way to look at it is Trump can spin this by saying he does not want the establishment types like Kristol or Romany endorsing him since Magic Mitt is a loser.

Trump is already saying he will release Jeb and Lindsey Graham from their obligation to support him.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Bill Kristol has been pushing for Ben Sasse to run as a 3rd party. Romney got his ass handed to him before and not that I think he won't allow his ego to take over, I have a feeling the meeting was more about Sasse than Romney for the run.

As desperate as the RINO's are who knows though?

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

They are really desperate aren't they? They want a 3rd party to take down Trump but none of them wants to risk putting their own name on the ticket.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   

it's interesting what levels they're pushing this too just to hold onto their power.

I've been calling it for a couple of years now, the Tea Party was the first sign that the Conservatives were splitting. Everything we have been seeing is a continuation of that natural progress, as the Conservative base shrinks those within it become more and more desperate to find a way to guide the largest numbers.

In reality, they're already too far divided. If they had sense they would concede defeat already and begin working on splitting the party and pushing out the far-right radicals.

The Republican party cannot survive in its current state. It's swamped by in-fighting and division, and as such it can't possibly compete with the Dems. The only way it will see any growth or stability in the future is if it abandons the outdated religious and moralistic nonsense and focuses on fiscal conservatism. People will not be willing to support it as long as it preaches the same backward thinking going in opposition to social movement.

The American people have moved on from the Christian traditionalism of the Republican party, and until they accept this and modernize they will continue to decline.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

The mistake you and others make is that "the Right" has ever been a monolithic group. It never has been. It disagrees and comprises many different groups with different viewpoints. It is always a fragile coalition.

The left marches in lockstep because they don't tolerate dissension in their ranks. The end justifies the means and they all want the same end: totalitarian control. Each group marches together on this because they each believe THEY will end up on the top in control over all others.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I do not see any of the big players in GOP launching an independent bid. Although considering the dislike for Clinton and even greater dislike for Trump an indie could make a good showing. However, I expect Romney will be another who will just wait out Trumps crushing defeat and then rush in to become the parties savior. This is the role it seems most of the GOPs more viable future candidates seem to be taking, anti Trump and waiting for his failure to open the party to reform in whatever image each of them has.

Trump needs to start grabbing these guys, He needs the red states to be solid in his corner so he can go fight for the battle ground states. Because he needs almost all of each group to win. While Clinton just needs her blue states and just one of the bigger battle ground states.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Romney is already a loser.

The prevailing logic is you don't run a loser a second time.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Romney is already a loser.

The prevailing logic is you don't run a loser a second time.

You say that, but what excuse did Reagan have?

Not that I am calling Romney Reagan at all. Of course, Teikiatsu points out that Romney didn't really seem to try all that hard did he?

Regardless, I would not be voting for Romney. That would be like Kasich or Jeb!

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Regardless, I would not be voting for Romney. That would be like Kasich or Jeb!

I couldn't have said it better myself. Romney is a Democrat in sheep's clothing.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

What year is it?

new topics

top topics

join