It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare and sometimes mysterious satellite images.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 03:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
There's one episode that features a pic of wedge shaped lines of clouds emanating out from a small island in the South Atlantic.. . an island with a mysterious installation on it, if faulty memory serves, and SCALAR testing was surmised, or some such...

that and the Min-Min Lights caught all over Australia were some big standouts.

The archeology is very cool, too.

I love that there are some that are still unexplained.

Those were some good episodes for sure.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
GoShredAK,
I may have a couple of answers for your questions. At least, these are what pop up just off the top of my head.
1) The glowing blue vortex.
This could very well just be a large natural eddy current mixing waters of differing salinity and temperature. While we generally picture ocean waters as a uniform dark blue, the dissolved content of salts and other minerals can alter what parts of the spectrum the water absorbs and reflects. Another possibility is that there is a large amount of bioluminescent algae reacting to two currents of different temperatures mixing in the eddy.

2) Underwater Tsunamis
Again, differences in salinity and temperature mean that the oceans are not just large homogenous basins of water. There are channels and currents of cold briney water that flow like rivers along the ocean floor, only slowly blending into the surrounding waters. There is also a structure know as the thermocline which is a fairly distinctive boundary region between warmer surface waters and colder deep currents. Sonar operators on submarines are familiar with this, because the background above it tends to have more random noise than below it. In deep ocean waters, most vessels would hardly notice a passing tsunami because they are not the towering monsters there that they become near land. It is only when the wave, which is generally riding in deep currents, begins to climb the increasingly shallow sea floor near the shore that it's size becomes apparent from the surface.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

Very interesting, thank you

I like all three of those explanations.

I did not think of the bioluminescent algae reacting to two different currents.

Also I just learned about the thermocline, that's cool.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

It's possible that I got the name for the thermocline wrong. It has been years since I've looked into anything about it.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Oh, sorry. You're welcome.

I do try not to forget my.manners. But it still happens now and then.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Undersea tsunamis measured at approximately 500 feet tall....highlighted in this pic, which was not necessary....

Those aren't tsunami waves they are called internal waves, or hidden waves.

www.sciencedaily.com...

news.mit.edu...

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

There's a mysterious massive blue vortex in the ocean.

Not a mystery anymore...

The Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on NASA’s Terra satellite captured these natural-color images of a deep-ocean eddy on December 26, 2011. The top close-up shows the vortex structure of the eddy, traced in light blue by plankton blooming in the 150-kilometer wide swirl. The lower, wider view shows the bloom and eddy in context, about 800 kilometers south of South Africa.

earthobservatory.nasa.gov...

Australian "min min lights."

Seems they unlocked that mystery also...

www.uq.edu.au...

The milky blue sea.

Also not something unknown...

io9.gizmodo.com...

500 foot under water tsunamis.

Already addressed in prior post.

Hexagonal clouds over the Bermuda triangle.

Microburst's as it was explained in the video .

So they really aren't unknown except to those who don't know what they are.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

Roger Tsurfer. Thank you.

I agree with that.

I'm pretty sure they called them underwater or sub-surface tsunamis on the show because that's what they looked like on that particular satellite image.

Maybe they did not say tsunami, maybe they just said waves? I may have made the tsunami part up
I am not totally sure.

In any case, I appreciate the post

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Again thank you.

I appreciate you obliterating the mystery.

eta: I bet there are a couple yet unexplained......if I find one I'm throwing it at you.

further eta: The Australian Min Min lights are still a mystery, no?
edit on 3-7-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

eta yet again: Or not..........I'm out.
edit on 3-7-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Those clouds look more like holes to me, am I missing something? as usual?

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Again thank you.

I have seen that same episode a few times now, so it had me looking for myself.

eta: I bet there are a couple yet unexplained......if I find one I'm throwing it at you.

I imagine there are...and I am looking forward to it.

further eta: The Australian Min Min lights are still a mystery, no?

I guess that depends on who is asked, but it seems the mystery now has more of explanation than it previously did.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   

I imagine there are...and I am looking forward to it.

Till next time then! lol

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   

As usual, tsurfer2000h, you are a welcomed source of enlightenment. I'm still fairly happy I hit the market with the bioluminescent algae in the eddy current. And as far as the tsunami comment I gave, I did not have the ability to watch the video beforehand because I was at work. I was just going from my basic knowledge of oceanic structure and wave propagation therein. I'm glad you cleared that up.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   

I have another mystery we can dig into. Why does Willem Dafoe suddenly look like Dennis Leary after a year-long methamphetamine bender, and how does he keep getting work?
Sorry, kinda got away from myself there for a minute. Back on topic...
I've never heard of the Min Min Lights. Thanks for your OP. I've always loved to learn about new and rare natural phenomena. Or ones that are mistaken for natural/supernatural but are actually our own doing. Like the Marfa Lights. I actually spent a few nights, for 3 or 4 hours at a time, at the little viewing area/tourist trap just east of Marfa back in 2013. I did indeed see what a couple of locals identified to be the Marfa Lights. And with a little suspension of disbelief, combined with the ability to ignore maps, I can see how they would seem otherworldly.
Has anyone else here seen them, or looked into them much?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join