It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Latest Study on Human - Pet Bonding Says You May Be Under a Spell

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Tuesday, April 5th 2016 at 11:45 am
Valerie Burke, MSN

www.greenmedinfo.com...

Do you melt when you look into your dog’s eyes? Does your cat have you wrapped around her little fuzzy paws? You’re not alone! New science unlocks the mysteries of human-animal bonding and how our animal companions manipulate us into loving them—for our good and theirs.
. . .
Not only are pets on the rise, but the significance of our human-animal relationships seems to be deepening. A growing number of young adults are trading in their human partners for the four-legged kind. Many report experiencing greater distress from the loss of a pet than from a breakup.[3] In a recent poll, a surprising 38 percent of dog owners reported loving their pets more than their partners![4]
. . .
. . . . Science shows that pet owners are reaping an amazing number of health benefits, including the following:
Reduced risk for heart attack, stroke, and cardiovascular disease, and better odds of surviving and recovering from a heart attack, regardless of the severity[6] [7]
Better physical fitness and higher levels of activity, overall[8]
Improved stress management and coping, reduced risk for depression and anxiety; lower levels of cortisol, and higher levels of “feel good” neurotransmitters, including dopamine and serotonin[9] [10] [11]
Less pain and improved quality of life for those suffering from fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, cancer and other conditions[12] [13]
Fewer allergies, better immune function, and improved health and longevity[14]
Higher attractiveness and trustworthiness to others, more social support and reduced isolation[15] [16]
Early warnings for seizures, cancer, low blood sugar and even death, as animals have sensory abilities reaching far beyond those of humans, making them excellent service companions[17] [18]
. . .

= = =

Sounds like a lot of solidly researched findings in the article.
I prefer warm furry pets . . . but I don't have the time to care for them properly given my current and likely priorities. I've thought of a big freshwater aquarium . . . would be good for meditation/relaxation . . . but it would also take a lot of time. And a bird is not healthy for anyone with lungs that once or more wrestled with pneumonia. So, I'll likely continue to do without and just remember fondly the days with a Lassie type collie.
I certainly think that pets are crucial for children and likely for many elderly. I wonder how many elderly homes have them in residence. Probably too few.
I hope folks who visit such homes are inclined to take their pets, when workable.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:37 AM
link   
My dog has me, that is for sure.

If I am under her spell, oh well. I like her anyways.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Perhaps this is why I like animals and pets better then most people !!

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Like Buttah!

That's how I melt when my dog looks at me with those eyes!! I can believe it. It's all bred into them to make you want to take care of them. That's part of their master plan. Kind of like human babies... You are supposed to melt and want to take care of them, keep them safe, love them, and hug them, and name them George.

edit on 5/3/2016 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 03:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

You are supposed to melt and want to take care of them, keep them safe, love them, and hug them, and name them George.

--melt--check
--want to take care of them--check
--keep them safe--check
--love them--check
--hug them--double check

--and name them George . . . . . . . . . . . . . !WRONG! TILT! Does not compute! . . . . . . . wellll . . . maybe in some cases.

Loved your touching post. Thanks. . . . and for other recent efforts, as well.

edit on 3/5/2016 by BO XIAN because: added

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

The "George" part is from an old cartoon -

I couldn't resist adding it.

ETA - You are very welcome on both counts.

edit on 5/3/2016 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I've bonded with a cat that isn't even mine.

If he wasn't such a cool cat I wouldn't really care about him.

But he's just too awesome.

Affectionate, clean, quiet, unobtrusive, extremely patient with my kids, excellent hunter, and he has his own little gang of stray cats he seems to be the leader of.

How can you not love a creature so unequivocally badass?

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Somehow, I missed that cartoon.

Cute.

What's the most memorable experience you've had with your most treasured pet?

My Lassie type collie would go and lie down right at the fence line to our property about time for me to get home from school on the bus.

Dad had a couple of Australian shepherds . . . they were decent dogs. The unneutered one was a rascal but they were both good dogs. I think they'd have likely licked a burglar to death vs challenge him but at least they barked at strangers. I just didn't have time or funds to care for and feed them. So I gave them to Dad's friend that offered to take them when he died.

Would love to hear your perspective on aboriginal DNA, Haplo group M etc. etc. . . . another thread, another time.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Trying to resist making puns . . . about a . . . tabby . . . with a harem.

Sounds like quite a cat, alright. So if he's a stray--why couldn't you adopt him?

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Those cartoons are using "of mice and men" as a basis for those cartoons. Didn't make the connection until I was older.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 06:01 AM
link   

New science unlocks the mysteries of human-animal bonding and how our animal companions manipulate us into loving them—for our good and theirs.

Seeing love as manipulation kinda ruins it. Its a cooperation of mutual affection, commitment and trust.

Your dog will die for you. How loving is that? Would you die for your dog?

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 06:14 AM
link   

I find I am particularly susceptible to their influence.
My fur babies have always been in charge.
Right now I have two cats and a bird. Yeah that's fun. A constant game of tweety bird and puddy tat.
The birds up high and in a large heavy cage but still I get called day and night with squawking when a cat manages to jump from the newel post at the bottom of the stairs up onto the cabinet it sits atop. It's a leap but they manage once in a while. Then the bird goes crazy. They jump down when I yell at them and it's been years and no injuries so far . I see the bird trying to get the cats attention too. He doesn't have a clue the dumb bird. Just a budgie a keet bright blue and having a long distance affair with a cardinal who lives in my yard. .

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   
First of all, I'd like to apologize to Bo for a comment I made in one of his/her threads. Been kinda fed up with the world lately and took it out on you.
My sincerest apologies.

Now...On Topic
How could you not fall for'em?

Especially my little guy. He died of cancer on December 18th.

I still expect him to come down the hall and lay his head on my shoe. That was his signal for "Hold me". It may sound wimpy or whatever you want to call it, but my life is just not the same without him.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I prefer warm furry pets . . . but I don't have the time to care for them properly given my current and likely priorities. I've thought of a big freshwater aquarium . . . would be good for meditation/relaxation . . . but it would also take a lot of time.

Bo- There is a warm furry down at Your local shelter that would love for You to come by and visit, take for a walk, clean the cages (What You do for the least of You, You do for Me...)

My middle girl, doesn't have a full stomach, evidently She got run over when I talked Her into living with Us six years ago when We also got 14 y.o. "Jasmine- Mama" When We picked them up, Mama was going in for 'the shot' ,the one that transfers Your energy to the other side. Anyways when We picked 'Shorty' up Her name was "Marley" and well seeing how the movie 'Marley and Me' ended (I never saw it and won't) I changed it to 'Molly' Anyways, anytime I have a open cut I have Molly lick it and it clears right up, any type cut.

I also have a hermaphroditic AffenPinscher named 'MagWai' who has been a cat in previous incarnations and still does feline actions and gets up on the top of the couch and lick's Herm's 6 toed front paws. Also has 4 rows of teeth on the bottom to roll the food like a shark. Herms picture is in My profile. Evidently MagWai has been here since the start. MagWai is also the protector of Shorty and of the 'underdog' Although MagWai is a small dog, the Yang controls the BIG dog area of the dog park and is funny to watch as the Great Dane/ Rottweiler /German Shepard cower to a dog 1/4 their size.

Just last week, MagWai went and barked at a Human that 'lost their snip' and was getting rough with their dog by grabbing it and pulling by the leash. MagWai barked at the guy and then cut Him off as He turned to pull on the leash. As soon as Mag did this the other dog, sat and wouldn't budge until the human acknowledged the transgressions.

When We got married 26 years ago My wife had a cockatiel named 'Chester'. Then We moved into our house and She wanted to get a dog, so We got "Dieter" who was very intelligent. Dieter was so intelligent He opened the bird's cage and there went Chester..

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Is it influence or manipulation?

I could have imagined risking dying for my dog, in some circumstances.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

What a riot.

I don't know that I'd be so sympathetic to middle of the night squacking!

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Condolences for the passing of your ferret. What a cutie. What a loss.

I was expecting that ferrets would have silky fur. I didn't realize it was so coarse.

BTW, U R forgiven, of course.

Cheers.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Reduced risk for heart attack, stroke, and cardiovascular disease, and better odds of surviving and recovering from a heart attack, regardless of the severity

I was told that by the Doc years and years ago . Doctors orders "get a pet". 15 minutes of petting an animal friend can lower your blood pressure more efficiently than any pill. Works immediately ,too.

Better physical fitness and higher levels of activity, overall

Taking care of pets and their needs is a chore. Not a chore to be dreaded , a chore to be done.

Less pain and improved quality of life for those suffering from fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, cancer and other conditions

I can testify to that. Living proof.

Early warnings for seizures, cancer, low blood sugar and even death, as animals have sensory abilities reaching far beyond those of humans, making them excellent service companions

I know dogs can sense cancer. Dont know how. I have read they can smell it .

And , take care of your pet and it will take care of you
Peace.And I respect the new BO XIAN.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Thank you.

Ferrets have very silky hair. If the one you were petting didn't, it may not be getting the right food and nutrients.
edit on 3-5-2016 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

OH DEAR! POOR Chester!

Glad that wasn't the end of your marriage! LOL.

Sounds like quite a zoo you have! Congrats.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join