It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The real problem with the whole transsexual issue... is makeup.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I find looks and scent completely unrelated. Everyone has a unique smell, & your unique pheromones could be amazing to one person & disgusting to the next. I use deodorant because I sweat a lot, not because it makes me feel prettier than I might actually be.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: SmurfRider
a reply to: nOraKat

While those before makeup pictures are quite terrifying..

Lol..

I wonder if they would look better if they never wore makeup?

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: SmurfRider

Can i just check.

Is this whole tread just some tong in cheek trolling or do you really believe that make-up is a driving force behind transsexuals?

Once again me expressing myself results in being called a troll.

World: 1million
Smurfrider: 0

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

So just to be clear then i want a straight up yes or no.

Again Yes OR No

Do you believe that make up is a driving force that causes individuals to change their gender?

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Ok so vanity is a natural trait in mammals, possibly all living things. Yes, even the ugliest of uggos could be more vain than anyone. Doesn't change the fact that makeup was invented to distort reality & strengthen negative traits such as vanity. When peacocks start using berry juice to enhance their facial features, maybe I'll reconsider. As it stands, makeup is pure evil & does nothing but promote deception.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

What no of course not. Makeup just allows the transition & integration into society to be more fluid. I'm quite sure we'd have people getting gender reassignment surgery even if makeup never existed. Well maybe that's not true, who knows what the world would have been like if makeup never existed. We will never know.

The entire reason it is in the thread title was to mock people who spend so much energy focusing on the transgender issue when the real issue is right in front of & on their faces, makeup.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   

So you're trolling?

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

I'm not a scientist & dont know the effects of long time makeup use on skin, but I suspect those are just really bad pictures being used to make a point. I'm a decent looking guy, yet I look TERRIBLE in literally every photo ever taken of me. I refuse to have my picture taken! That's harmless vanity imo (& safer for my soul even). Makeup promotes dangerous, deceptive vanity.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I'm not sure you understand what actual trolling is. I used hyperbole to draw attention & make a point. I fully stand by everything I've said in this thread, which includes now several responses to my feelings on the transsexual community.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I used hyperbole to draw attention & make a point. I fully stand by everything I've said in this thread, which includes now several responses to my feelings on the transsexual community.

So does that include this...

think that it is a transsexual issue though. If makeup didn't exist, men wouldn't have a way of truly making themselves look like women, at least facially. Thus if makeup never existed, maybe transsexuals wouldn't exist & we wouldn't have 10 threads a day on it.

Because to me these two posts tell me that you believe " If makeup didn't exist, men wouldn't have a way of truly making themselves look like women"

I am starting to think you don't even understand you own views on this

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I hope you know that makeup has its traces back to tribalism and war paints. Here's some food for thought:
The Science of Makeup

Makeup works because it’s a good lie. In much of the animal kingdom, females advertise their youth, health and sexual availability through physical signals. Whether it be red rumps, special scents or elaborate behaviors, girls of the animal world know that sex sells, and they make it well known to the men in the area that they are ready for and capable of producing some stellar offspring. Like a peacock strutting his feathers, women do this to convince the opposite sex that they’re a good choice for a mate. But in humans, these signals are far less pronounced. Women’s bodies don’t advertise fertility loudly like our closest relatives. Instead, it’s almost impossible to tell if a woman is ovulating – almost. There are subtle signs if you know what to look for, and even though they might not realize that they realize it, men (and women!) do take notice. Studies have shown that women’s faces are more attractive to both sexes during the fertile phase of their menstrual cycle. Makeup works because it exaggerates or even completely fabricates these signs of fertility and sexual availability, thus making a woman seem more appealing.

I suggest reading the whole article. A lot of good info in there. Including this bit:

But, I hear my female readers saying, MY (boyfriend/husband/whoever) says that I look prettier without makeup! Well, it’s true that when you poll men about their makeup preferences, as many as one in five says their significant other wears way too much makeup, while one in ten wishes that women didn’t wear makeup at all. While that’s certainly a nice sentiment, their actions speak louder than their words. Study after study has found that when shown pictures of women with and without their makeup, men consistently rate images with makeup as more attractive, confident, and healthier. Men also think women wearing makeup come off as more intelligent and having higher earning potentials and more prestigious jobs. I’m not saying wearing makeup is more likely to get you hit on at a bar… but Nicolas Guéguen is. He found women wearing makeup were approached sooner and by more men.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Oh I'm well aware, which is why I think that if humans had NEVER had it, we'd live in a very different world today. Probably a better one.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

I'm starting to think you can only focus on a single idea in a stream of consciousness type rant. The line you quoted was merely conjecture & a possible point in a large & contentious bubble of ideas. Stop making it seem like that is the key gospel in what I've been preaching.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: SmurfRider

Oh I'm well aware, which is why I think that if humans had NEVER had it, we'd live in a very different world today. Probably a better one.

I'd say that makeup is a result of our rationality and improving on an existing product. That article pointed out that makeup can be seen in many ancient societies, so it isn't hard to imagine that the idea of makeup is an easy idea to come to to make yourself (or your mate look better). So if makeup didn't exist, I'd say that would only be possible because humans didn't evolve to be as rational as we did. Thus, you are right we'd be in a different world today because there would be no society. We wouldn't have been smart enough to develop one.

If you are so heated about makeup, how do you feel about jewelry? It pretty much serves the same purpose.
edit on 3-5-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Oh god, do NOT get me started on jewelry

Materialism & vanity. Oh the horror...

I am going to read the article you linked when I get a chance, I'll let you know if it causes my ideals to strengthen or rescind.
edit on 3-5-2016 by SmurfRider because: (no reason given)

Also, I'm a misanthropic nihilist. I'd prefer no society to the one we currently suffer in. I'm not sure makeup can be seen merely as an improvement on an existing product (can't remember your exact wording) but maybe if we had never tried to improve humanity in such a way we'd be more accepting of our fellow humans as a whole, for who they are born as rather than using makeup to try & make ourselves something we aren't.
Thanks a lot makeup!

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Just wait. Tattoos are next. Right now they are a "cool" and "edgy" thing to do, but it is only a matter of time before they become a symbol of beauty too.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

I added some stuff to my response to you, if you hadnt read yet & may have more thoughts on my elaboration.

Yea...tattoos. I think their origin may even go back further than makeup haha. I'm fairly ambivalent about them, not much at all attracted to them (really depends on the tattoo & how bland/generic it is) & mostly turned off by them.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Ok. I'll address it below.

Also, I'm a misanthropic nihilist. I'd prefer no society to the one we currently suffer in. I'm not sure makeup can be seen merely as an improvement on an existing product (can't remember your exact wording) but maybe if we had never tried to improve humanity in such a way we'd be more accepting of our fellow humans as a whole, for who they are born as rather than using makeup to try & make ourselves something we aren't.
Thanks a lot makeup!

I happen to like society. Society spawned rational thought and science and as a curious person I love both of those things.

When you say that without makeup, we'd be more accepting, I doubt that. Makeup was likely spawned as a RESULT of this tribalistic mentality, not the other way around. People discontent with being marginalized because of bad looks paint themselves up to look more attractive to others, circumventing humans' innate selectivity by visually lying to them.

I too would like to see us be more inclusive, but the problem is that we are a sub-species of great apes, and those animals tend to be tribal and exclusive social animals. Maybe if we evolved from dolphins or ants or something we'd be more tolerant. Who knows? But I'm reasonably sure that makeup isn't the reason.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Very interesting & I tend to agree with your take on it. I find it humorous that you're theory was actually a very negative viewpoint & mine positive. I'm supposed to be the negative one here dangit!
You're totally right though, & your point accurately reflects human nature. Human nature is disgusting to me. Before we even had verbal language we probably had hotties shunning uggos. Thus makeup was invented to help the ugs integrate better into society. Now we have men looking like hotter women than most women! Thanks a lot make up! Social evolution is quite intriguing, though. We now have makeup actively defying population growth by turning men into hotter women than real women.

People tell me trolls & goblins don't exist. I tell them I see them everytime I go to the mall. The majority of humans are not natural beauty supermodels. Maybe we should be but technology has turned us into blobs.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Technology is also going to innovate plastic surgery and make it more and more affordable. I foresee 3D printing helping to facilitate that too. If that doesn't work, we may end up expanding the idea of Second Life into a real world matrix and just plug people into that. Then you could be whatever the hell you wanted to be. You wouldn't even have to be human.

You may not like it, but things are only going to get weirder for humans.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join