It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If it isn't 100% organic, it's probably not organic.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyvalkyrie
And...'natural' on a label means nothing. You have to be REALLY careful with labels.

I recently noticed on Vitamin Water it claims to have electrolytes. Yet on the Nutrition Facts it has 0 Sodium. Magnesium, Potassium and Calcium have the cross- meaning 'not a significant source' and Chloride and Phosphates aren't even listed.

So. It's water?

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage
Lol! It actually has 150% (DV) Vitamin C, 100% B6, 100% B12, 100% Pantothenic acid, 25% Zinc and 25% Chromium. So, it really does have vitamins. But it's also got 120 calories and 32 grams of sugar. When I was preggers with my son I had bad nausea/food aversion and could only drink Vitamin Water. I gained 10 pounds in one month.

Now with this pregnancy I have to watch my sodium intake because of excess fluid/bad carpal tunnel. I went to check the sodium and saw it was 0. Then saw that potassium was practically non-existent too. I thought those WERE the only electrolytes. I'm a dork so then I looked up what all constituted electrolytes, but it didn't have any of the lesser known ones either. Yet on the front of the bottle it specifically advertises electrolytes.

*shrug* I just know I have to water it down so I don't get fat.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Also look out for any labels that say "made with organic ingredients". This is very different than something just labeled "organic".

I found this out buying Ocean Spray fruit juice. Check it out some time the next time your shopping for groceries: The bottles say "made with 100% juice" on the front, but if you read the back it's actually 15% juice and it's mostly corn syrup.

It's getting harder to find 100% mixed juice at my local Wal-Mart. They used to have Tropicana farm stand with mixed fruit and vegetable juice that was 100% juice but that's not in stock any more. It looks like the only mixed juice they have now that's 100% is different flavors of Dole. They of course still have orange apple and grape that's pure juice, but the same flavors get boring after a while.

If they can get away with "made with 100% juice" and only have a small amount of it in the bottle, then they can get away with that wording for anything. I bet there are a lot of foods out there labeled "made with organic ingredients" that probably only have one or two ingredients in it that are actually organic.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Also cashews. They have the same thing in them as poison ivy which causes you to rash until they are cooked properly.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

originally posted by: ladyvalkyrie
And...'natural' on a label means nothing. You have to be REALLY careful with labels.

I recently noticed on Vitamin Water it claims to have electrolytes. Yet on the Nutrition Facts it has 0 Sodium. Magnesium, Potassium and Calcium have the cross- meaning 'not a significant source' and Chloride and Phosphates aren't even listed.

So. It's water?

Sounds like my well water. Pretty much H2O, with tiny trace amounts of silicon, copper and iron. It's a good stand-in for DI water. In fact, sometime this summer I need to rebuild the well house to add room for a neutralizer. It's TOO pure. Not only is it devoid of anything you'd call an electrolyte, with no carbonates at all it is fairly acidic at about 5.0.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: peskyhumans

Also cashews. They have the same thing in them as poison ivy which causes you to rash until they are cooked properly.

Hey, I made a meal out of that last night, too. Was real busy so dinner ended up being a couple ounces of cheese, a glass of red wine and a handful of unsalted cashews. And a little bit of spinach salad I had left over.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Sugar Water: now with added vitamins! May contain electrolytes, but not any kind of significant daily value thereof

Doesn't have quite the same ring as "Vitamin Water: with electrolytes!"

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 04:33 AM
link   

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: McSwifty

People regularly get ill from processing cashews.

www.stoptorture-vn.org...

Because the shell and fruit of the cashew contain a toxin similar to that found in poison ivy and other poisonous plants, physical contact with cashew nuts, oil from the cashew nut shell and fruit, or inhaling fumes from roasting or boiling the nuts can cause skin rashes, itching, blisters, eye irritation, and respiratory problems including asthma and bronchitis.

edit on 3-5-2016 by McSwifty because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: SomeDumbBroad

Back to the original OP... also, you should look for the FDA Organic seal. Not that I completely trust the FDA, I AM an ATS member after all! Lol! But the FDA seal means it's been inspected and verified to a greater extent than just a product trying to use the "O" word to cash in on the newest craze.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I 100% agree.

I'm probably going to buy a hydroponic kit and grow some of my own stuff. I've read up about how to keep certain bugs away from your fruits and veggies. I grew up with my hands in the dirt and if one I it my way at least no one else can be held responsible for handling the foods I need

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join