It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Online chess anyone?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on May, 1 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I'm currently playing rather badly against two ATS members on chess.com and wondered if anyone else fancied a game against me or others from ATS.
This is the chance to destroy me on the chess battlefield so I would especially enjoy a challenge from members who I've crossed swords with on the forums lol.

I didn't learn what the chess pieces did until I was 30 when my then girlfriend taught me the game. I'm not particularly good and I make stupid mistakes, especially after a few drinks, but I really love the game and enjoy learning from my defeats.
If you are interested just sign up at www.chess.com... (it's free) and find me under the username ATSgrainofsand.
If you want to play other members then feel free to post your chess username here and we can challenge each other.

I'm currently clinging on by my fingernails in a match against member TNmockingbird and we made a bet that the loser 'wears' the winners avatar for 24 hours, so I may be looking like a 'girly bird' very soon lol.

Either way, if you enjoy the game please do shout and/or share your chess type stories here in a generic chat about the beautiful game.
I look forward to battling against you!

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I already had a similar idea:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I recommend lichess - it's an online board and it doesn't require sign in.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Great minds think alike then lol

I guess members have a choice of two places now so all good. I'm liking the platform at chess.com though, and as I'm enjoying a couple of games with ATS members there already I shall probably stick with that option, one stop shop and all that..
Feel free to challenge me though if you can be bothered with the sign-up process, it's not too demanding.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   

I suck but I'm down.

Username rockintitz.

Nvm my tablet keeps crashing
edit on 1-5-2016 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   
A couple of years back, somebody was running chess games ON ATS, playing via alternate posts on a thread. He had a couple of games, anyway. I was barred by the fact that he wouldn't allow me to use descriptive notation. [P.S. I see now that he managed to announce himself before this posted]

I played a lot of chess in my sixth-form days and student days. This included taking part in chess relays (the players at the board being replaced by others after a set number of moves).
Indeed my student flatmates once devised a three-player chess relay. That is, one player would always be sitting out on the side. After each five moves, the spare player took over the white pieces, the "white" player took over the black pieces, and the "black" player took a turn at sitting out. We played one game of this. Not surprisingly, we found that the white player was prone to restrain himself in attack, for fear of handing an easy victory to the next in line. My diary records that I won that game myself, by noticing how a white pawn might be queened and force mate within the five-move limit.

edit on 1-5-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-5-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz
Lol, I'm having internet problems as well, I'll try challenge you later, cheers.

a reply to: DISRAELI
That sounds the most complicated version of chess playing I can think of!
I hope you were playing for drinks as well

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
I'm currently clinging on by my fingernails in a match against member TNmockingbird and we made a bet that the loser 'wears' the winners avatar for 24 hours, so I may be looking like a 'girly bird' very soon lol.

Ha!!!

You rallied back and it is I on the defensive to be sure. I suck at chess. I used to play better (I'll blame it on the senility!)

I will offer two words of advice, that I should have listened to in my game against Tech from Texas!

Do not touch the chess pieces if you are too inebriated AND don't touch them if you are too tired!

Similar to the advice you may have heard in regards to posting on ATS!

Sincerely,
The girl who will soon be wearing a British Passport! LOL

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Haha no!
I think you are going to do me after all, I haven't really got a plan now we're down to the few pieces left and you've got your queen.
Your advice is absolutely true, I made some stupid mistakes the other night because I was proper drunk and should have just shut the laptop lol

...I am quite liking your avatar though, I have to!

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   

I look forward to getting my ass kicked. Ill have to load up on my pc later

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

...lulling me into a false sense of security eh?
Mind games I tell ya, mind games!

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   
But this was followed (I notice from checking the diary) by an even more complicated experiment.

Then Paul and Dick tried a different game in which, on a count of three, moves would be made simultaneously, with the proviso that if they moved to the same square both moves would be taken back. The distinctive features of the game soon appeared, and Paul learned how to take advantage of them first. One was that a piece raiding the enemy defence was practically invulnerable, as long as the owner kept it moving. It was useless for his opponent to attack either the square it was on or the square it was moving to. At the same time, it was no longer possible to defend pieces in the normal way. One of the knotty legal problems decided at the beginning was that a player could not move a piece to a square already occupied by one of his own pieces, even on the assumption that the latter piece was about to be attacked. Therefore the only way to prevent capture of a piece was evasion, if you could guess which piece was to be attacked. This was effectively what happened when two bishops threatening each other on the same diagonal exchanged places (crossing paths being declared legal). It was also declared that a move which, taken in conjunction with the opponent’s move, would put the mover in check, was nonetheless valid. Naturally he had an obligation to get himself un-checked in the next move. Hence both sides could check each other simultaneously. Checkmate was not easy to achieve. Dick’s lone knight harassed and destroyed most of the forces moving in on his king and pawns before it was brought down. In fact I would not be surprised if only the solus rex, exposed in a couple of ranks to two rooks or a similar force, could be brought to checkmate, which is where Dick was heading if the game had continued.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   

That's chess bwoy!

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Ohmygosh, if you can play under conditions like that then you will absolutely destroy me!! Lol
Go on, see how quickly you can do me over on the chess board...I am inconsistent and radical though so my stupid moves may confuse you.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
A chess related afterthought, I absolutely love how international the game is, everywhere I've travelled.
I've been the only English speaker in villages in Asia and still enjoyed playing chess. Just pull out the cheap magnetic mini board and someone will give you a game.

12 hour bus rides have been made a pleasant experience with that little board of mine, one especially in Malaysia with a really old guy who I couldn't understand, but he gave me some leaves to chew and when they kicked in we lost time playing chess and talking as if we knew what the other was going on about.
Excellent game, I wish I'd learned it earlier in life

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Im enjoying playing with y'all

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   

And im enjoying playing with you..

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

And you ARE (playing with me!)!!!

Like a cat plays with a mouse before killing it! LOL

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   

I'm not interested in Western chess. It's too much work for me to be fun.

Ditto for Chinese chess--the full game--it's a lot like Western chess.

HOWEVER, I'd LOVE to find an online site to play the half game of Chinese chess--particularly the Peng Hu rules.

The half game begins with all the pieces upside down and randomized. So you never know what you're going to turn over. And turning a piece over is one turn.

Anyway--if anyone finds such a site--please let me know. I've given up looking.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   

chat function doesn't work for me.. it briefly shows up then it goes away and is filled with an add unfortunately

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality
I'm enjoying as well but only a few moves in and I'm feeling worried lol

a reply to: BO XIAN
The 'half Chinese chess' sounds interesting but the complexity of 'western' chess is what fascinates me, it's a different game every time and having to work hard concentrating is probably good for me to offset dementia or whatever.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join