It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The curiosity of children

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   
The curiosity of children is fascinating. While at work today, I listened to a girl who could be no older than 6 talking about politics, while her father was explaining what was going on right now. Children have a desire to learn, to experience, to explore, their minds are open and they do not assume, they do not assume a position of superiority in their knowledge but rather seek to understand the world around them - From the very basics, like where the ant trail moves, to things more advanced and far beyond. I remember as a child I was extremely interested in space - I learned about super novas, black holes, the creation of the universe, and while I only understood simple terminology at the time, it was fascinating, it sparked my imagination.

It is unfortunate that we do so little to celebrate this state of mind, that we do so little to support this mentality. We throw a kid into grade-school and almost right away insist they become a robot - A robot which can spew out answers to basic math and science questions, but rarely much else.

Do we forget that the greatest minds in the world were some of the most curious minds in the world? That their desire for knowledge was barely matched for the desire to breathe, or drink? We should do more to allow exploration and creation, and do less to create academic robots whom not only are cheated out of a full life themselves, but are cheated out of the opportunity to share their discoveries with others.

What do you think, fellow members? How can we uplift our future generations and encourage that curious minds flourish?

Peace be with you.

-TheCentristPhilosopher

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: TheCentristPhilosopher

I believe its important to actually encourage the kids who are different in a good way

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: PanPiper

As do I - Not only that, but to encourage kids in general. We are so eager to get rid of their curiosity, to fill their minds with academics that we lessen their potential.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
My Great Niece goes to a school that encourages creativity and useful things. They have a garden the kids help to make, learn weaving, how to make natural dyes from plants etc. along with regular normal classes. She is out in Colorado. The school sounds amazing to me!

new topics

top topics

join