It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother of transgender student urges SC school district to update bathroom policy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   

The mother of a transgender student urged a South Carolina school district Tuesday to update its bathroom policy after her child was suspended for using the boys' bathroom.

Lynne pulled her son, identified as “R,” out of the school and enrolled him in online school. “R” won’t get to walk on stage at the end of his senior year to get his diploma.

“That’s a huge thing for teenagers to take that walk and he’s not going to get to do that,” Lynne told WMBF-TV.

She said her son felt uncomfortable with using the girls’ room or the nurse’s room and was suspended in January for using the boys’ bathroom.

This is a reversed issue from the usual issue. This time it's the transgender boy who wants to use the boy's bathroom. So "protect the women from perverts in women's bathrooms" argument won't work.

The student’s mother, identified as Lynne, says her son had been using the boys bathroom since middle school. It wasn’t a problem until his senior year, when she says a teacher filed a complaint and administrators asked her son to stop using the boy’s bathroom.

Oh looky here! It wasn't a problem UNTIL someone wanted to get out of a safe space and complain. I won't take a guess why. I'll let you guys figure it out.

To recap, a student who was born girl and identifies as a boy wants to use the boy's bathroom. He has not had any problem for three years until someone complains and he got suspended.

Fox News
WBTW

+9 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

This just means no one in Administration knew about this issue until someone wanted to make it official. Just because you want to be a boy doesn't make it so. If wishing worked like that I would be 30 years younger.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

That's it? That's your argument?

If wishing worked like that I would be 30 years younger.

Nice strawmen's argument you got there. You've been on ATS long enough to know better.

Are you or are you not ok with a transgender boy using the boy's bathroom? If the boys are ok with it, then what's the issue?

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

Nice strawmen's argument you got there. You've been on ATS long enough to know better.

Are you or are you not ok with a transgender boy using the boy's bathroom? If the boys are ok with it, then what's the issue?

His point flew right over your head. If things worked like that, he'd be trans-age-ual, and be young instead of old.

Should he get discounted life insurance policies to reflect what he thinks his age should be?

Should he be put at the top of organ transplant lists because he thinks he's 20?

This all comes down to words. If the people on the other side of this would man-up and just divide bathrooms based on sex instead of PC-ing it with 'gender', the entire bathroom debate would be a non sequitur.
edit on 4/27/16 by RedDragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: RedDragon

This post makes zero sense within the scope of the thread.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Well, I do have to question why he wouldn't feel comfortable using the nurses bathroom. Isn't that usually a "gender neutral bathroom, (one sitter) in most schools?

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Well how do you know that the boys are okay with it? They could fear the stigmatisation that could easily follow - social justice warriors are everywhere and, quite frankly, many of them behave like bullies.

Edit: And for all we know the teacher may have filed the complaint on behalf of a student who did not dare to do so himself.
edit on 27-4-2016 by DupontDeux because: (no reason given)

link   

Oh I got his point allright. He ignored the science that has been presented to him many times on ATS. Apparently he thinks it's impossible for someone to be born with a mind that reflects the gender opposite it's sex. It's a real phenomenon.
edit on 4/27/2016 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
link   
In our state, there's a child in public school who claims he feels like he's a boy in the morning and a girl in the afternoon. This has, as you'd expect, led to problems for everyone else. Is there any sensible limit to indulging unfortunate but bizarre mental health problems and treating the 99.9% of normal people as freaks?

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Weaksauce Metallicus, pure squishy weaksauce.

Tell me, why do you care which bathroom this kid uses? How does it affect your day-to-day routine?

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Oh I got his point allright. He ignored the science that has been presented to him many times on ATS. Apparently he thinks it's impossible for someone to be born with a mind that reflects the gender opposite it's sex. It's a real phenomenon.

That science is obviously true. It's also irrelevant. What does it matter whether being transgender is genetic or a choice? It shouldn't matter at all.

However, the people on the other end of the discussion should just say that they want to divide things based on sex, not gender. This entire discussion is really over those 2 words; most people on the other end, not having any transexuals in their sphere-of-being-influenced, don't know what gender actually means are accidentally using the wrong word.

They mean sex, not gender. The people on your end know this and carry on the debate as if the other end actually means gender instead of sex, and never stop to correct them. That's a bit dishonest.

edit on 4/27/16 by RedDragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Maybe the solution is to have adult and childrens bathrooms?

That way you don't have to worry about old men in the bathroom with little girls and vice versa.

Or the more I think about it, I don't think there is a solution that will work for everyone.

It's not right to force every business to install another bathroom for trannies and I don't think taxpayers should foot the bill either.

Is the 3 seashells the answer?

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Yeah, well, I am not sure how I would now if my mind reflects its sex - a) because I have no basis for comparison since I have not been inside the mind of a woman and b) because I do not recognize that I am supposed to feel in a certain way to 'feel like a man'.

I struggle to see how anyone else would have a basis for comparison.

And at least there is a fine line between "feeling like the opposite gender" and to succumb to the gender roles imposed on us by society. You do not necessarily have to be born in the wrong body if you are a girl and do not want to play with dolls or dress up as a princess.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Unfortunately, we're going to see more and more of this kind of thing, as people stick their noses into other people's private lives. There was NO problem until some teacher decided to screw things up and made it an issue.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: DupontDeux

I struggle to see how anyone else would have a basis for comparison.

That's where neuroscience comes in. Plenty of research in that area. BTW it's not "feeling like the opposite gender", it's knowing it despite knowing you have the body of the opposite sex.

link   

I agree,if wishing worked, I would also be 30 years younger and 60 pounds lighter.
I am also getting so sick and tired of these bathroom wars.If you dress like a girl,
go to the girl's bathroom.If you dress like a boy go to the boy's bathroom.If you
have problems deciding what you are, look into a full-length mirror and see what
kind of package you have packing in your private area!

link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

This post makes zero sense within the scope of the thread.

this sentence, not as a reply but as a statement, will sum up everyone's opinions who think they have a fair argument or solution...

this issue is beyond the scope of this thread.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Well ,to be brutally honest I have been told my entire life that I think more like a man.
Trust me,I am a woman and not a man trapped in a female body!

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Here's a simple solution. Instead of monetizing everything by debates/rules/regulations put that time, effort and money into simply adding a third restroom. Done. Argument closed.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

Well ,to be brutally honest I have been told my entire life that I think more like a man.
Trust me,I am a woman and not a man trapped in a female body!

That kinda strengthens the point. You and your mind are what and who you are, not your body.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join