It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Can Sound Damage Your Ears?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 02:39 AM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

Sometimes I like to go to the seaside when it is raining, listen to the rush of the rain hitting the sea, the sea climbing the beach and retreating, and close my eyes and listen further, to the gulls flying and shouting at one another through the rain, to the sound of rigging lines slapping masts on the yachts, the sound of waves lapping at hulls, anchor lines creaking.

But hearing a conversation in a high noise to signal environment is a pain in the rear end.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 02:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

My Step-dad was a Navy Engineman.

I don't what to suggest in such cases. Certainly the best ear protection available. But when it travels through one's skull bones to one's ears . . . what can you do!

I guess medical checks frequently . . . and good insurance are some compensation . . . but too little, imho. Hearing is pretty important, to me.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I agree entirely.

I like wind through the leaves . . . and shuffling through a thick mat of maple leaves in the fall . . . and the Canadian Geese from the nearby lake in flight . . .

Great images you provided.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 02:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN
a reply to: realnewsrealfunny

Sounds like an addiction level problem, to me.

You WILL stop, when you can no longer hear any sound, at all.

Why wait until then?

It really is (I hear you .. sorry)

So off topic : But I seriously wonder with my generation. This hearing thing but staring at those tiny screens non stop I had a laser surgery 2 years ago to 0.00 and my vision is already bad at night and reading, then typing I can't hold the phone anymore it hurts my hands I don't know how people do it hey, leaning over and sitting behind computer or on phone my back is non stop out, and all the coffee it takes me to keep up I think I am having a heart attack almost every day
(not even 30)

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 03:10 AM
link   

DOODNESS!

I don't use the tiny screen on my old style flip-phone much at all--mostly to arrange where to have lunch etc.

And now I have to remember to hold the phone on my right ear instead of my left too near my pacemaker.

And, mercifully, I do computing in my Laz-Y-Boy recliner with my back firmly against the chair . . . and the large screen just above my feet about 5-6" beyond my feet. I mostly have to remind myself to get up maybe a little more often than my bladder would urge me to.

I hate to hear that it sounds like tech has mangled your body in more ways than one.

Tech comes and goes. You only have one body. Please take care of yoself, bro. Else you won't be able to help take care of those you love.

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: tommo39
Now thats different....we do it to supress loud music.
But in all seriousness , wearing them can sometimes help restore hearing.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 03:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN
a reply to: Azureblue

Sound 85db or louder begins to fry the tiny hairs in the inner ear which registers the sound and sends the signals about the sound to the brain. Once those hairs are fried, they don't recover.

Sound of sufficient loudness can fry such hairs instantly.

Lesser sound volumes but above 85db will eventually fry such hairs over varying time periods of said exposure.

thanks for the reply. I am aware of what you have said but it be useful for many others. I like they way you have said it so I will copy it with your permission and use it at work (when I get it)

thanks

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Thank you

I really like your posts ( I only seen the ones in the recent threads) especially the re: wisdom ones ( I don't want to admit it but you are right and all the bits and pieces are kind of answering all my recent dilemmas I find it a little bizarre )

Much appreciated you take care too

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Most folks can tell just by reading what I write.

Yeah, that's where I'm skeptical. . .

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

ABSOLUTELY OF COURSE.

No need to ask permission unless you were going to sell it--particularly by the millions. LOL.

Am humbled you'd want to use it. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 06:25 AM
link   

GWARSH! PTL & pass the ammunition! LOL.

Am humbled to have had a part in any help you received.

Thanks for your kind comment. Feel free to ask questions.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Perhaps some narrow tidy little boxes could use some adjustment.

Where I come from, PhD's are a very idiosyncratic, diverse and creative group. My Chairman all the more so.

He was probably the world's expert on role construct theory. He tended to major in majors and minor in minors. IIRC, he once presented !!!20!!! papers at the annual APA Convention. I doubt anyone else has ever come near that insane number. He happened to be an LDS Bishop--to me a rather incongruous role for a guy so super brilliant. LOL.

He once proved that the role construct theory grid rep test--that he developed software to test, map with--he once proved that it out-discrimminated and out-predicted ALL other paper-pencil psych instruments--including the granddaddy MMPI. He also had a great sense of humor.

Role construct theory discovered that no individual in any culture ever used more than 26 bi-polar constructs through which to channel their life's choices, paths, definitions, construct reality. An example of most people's primary super-ordinate construct would be some variation of 'good/evil.'

Everyone's construct system is unique. Calgary Univ used to have an online software package that one could map out their construct system in clusters but I don't think it's available any more.

A construct system which is tooooo flexible, permeable, dis-jointed, erratic, wishy-washy, etc. correlates with poor life choices, lack of fulfillment, poor relationships, pathology etc. A construct system which is tooooo rigid, impermeable, rigid, constricted, brittle, prissy etc. also correlates with poor life choices, lack of fulfillment, poor relationships, pathology etc.

In terms of this thread, I suspect that a lot of folks (not all) who are locked into deafness inducing habits, an addiction to loud music--I suspect that their role construct systems are more likely to be somewhat toward one extreme or the other than they are to be more balanced in the middle. And, it can be that in some sphere's of their lives, they will tend toward one extreme, and in other spheres, toward the other extreme.

I don't know if the more rigid and prissy would have a harder time altering their loudness addiction or those with the tooo permeable, erratic etc. construct systems. That's an empirical question. And I don't know if it's been answered, or not.

I am pretty sure that the pastor I spoke of who insisted so doggedly on maintaining the 195db or greater volume during the worship time--I suspect that THAT pastor had a construct system that was more than a little toooo rigid in at least an area or three.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 12:41 AM
link   

I'm trying to hold on to the hearing I have left--which is pretty good for a 69 year old who didn't enjoy loud music when I was a teen in the 1960's.

It may be of interest to you to know that sensory hair cells may not be destroyed mechanically but instead by an excess of production of ROS due to sound. See this link:

High Doses of Antioxidants May help Prevent Hearing Loss

At your age, maybe you shall give consideration to C60oo if you are not affraid of weird unapproved experimental antioxidants.

edit on 2016-4-28 by PeterMcFly because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman
By some of the leaps of logic I see on the site sometimes, I have to conclude that you're Brian Johnson. I'm so sorry you left Ac/Dc.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 03:18 AM
link   
a reply to: PeterMcFly

THANKS THANKS.

Sounds great.

I have increased my intake of potent anti-oxidants the last few years. I think it has improved my health in a variety of ways.

Looks like a good article. Will look at it later.

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Check the C60 also!

I know that many pharma co. work on this on secret. How I know? The C60 mfg just don't produce it just for couple cranks dissolving it into olive oil.

This is possibly the most powerfull biological antioxidant ever produced. Is it safe? Don't know, but the mouse study trying to determine its LD50 found that the mouse were living longer...

What the effect on human? Not sure but I can tell that a very big rat of 80kg I experimented onto had very interesting reactions.

edit on 2016-4-28 by PeterMcFly because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 04:16 AM
link   
a reply to: PeterMcFly

Thanks.

I think I've already been taking most to all of those components for quite some time.

I'll have to re-read the article more carefully and fully to be sure but I think I have been.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Thanks for the thread OP. I agree with you for the most part.
There are so many variables when it comes to setting your mp3 player at a reasonable or safe volume though.
Many studdies I've come across suggest setting your music volume so you can still hear a full conversation at arms length. But that depends on the isolation capabilities of your headphones. Also that kind of defeats the purpose of having headphones in the first place, unless you only use them in a quiet environment.
Personally, I think the quality of the music and the mix (if you know anything about producing music) comes into play as well. If you're listening to badly mixed music, live or recorded, and say the cymbals too loud, you won't be listening to an even and balanced sound. So certain frequencies are going to wear you down quicker.
Same goes for cheap ear buds (on well produced music) which are incapable of reproducing the full audible spectrum. You're more likely to turn the volume up to compensate, and then all the mid and high-mid frequencies will be far too loud.
Likewise, if you're stood next to a loud machine at work all day which only emits a specific tone, or set of tones, you're going to have similar problems.

For all you nay saying volume addicts, you'd be surprised at how much more detail you can hear when your ears get used to low volumes. Just buy some decent over ear headphones, and turn your music down past halfway. Best to start even lower to adjust your ears for 10 minutes, then when you turn up to just below halfway, it'll sound loud. You hear every nuance.

Just my 2p

top topics

<< 1   >>

join