It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bizarre Swarm of Earthquakes Near Asheville, NC

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Now this is weird. A very unusual place to have a swarm of small quakes. Just north of Asheville, NC:

I just finished watching a documentary on hidden active faults that suddenly rupture too, so this has me a bit nervous- considering I live like 30 minutes from this location.

A bit closer zoom in, pulled from USGS over the last 7 days:

I mean we do get some small quakes occasionally to the west of us, as there are known faults out that way. But here? Very screwy, indeed.

I just hope that a bigger one doesn't happen all of a sudden- because when small ones happen, the chances of a bigger one happening also increase. And if this is a hidden, previously unknown dormant fault that is coming to life all of a sudden, we could be in trouble if it goes. It's strange how they seem to be spread out over a good area. Keep me in your prayers peoples. Cause if a quake tears this place apart, I won't be able to keep much if any watch on Yellowstone or Long Valley for yas no more.

edit on Tue Apr 26th 2016 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I am not very far away from you if we count how the crow flies. I am located about 10 miles away from the NC border.

Thanks for keeping us updated and stay safe. I have only ever felt one quake in Virginia in all my years and really don't want to see what a huge one would do around here since most of us aren't "built" to withstand quakes like others are in California and such.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Wow . Unusual . They look like they're Ina line too. Is there a ridge line it follows ?

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Apparently there was some activity Monday as well....

www.starherald.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I've always wondered if earthquakes can be related to bad storms or tornados.....the North Carolina area is about to have some of those bad storms rolling across the US .

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Sounds like those Frackin quakes are going to cause a lot of headaches. I know, I shouldn't be blaming the Frackin oil companies.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Well hopefully if there was one it wouldn't be too awful big, because it takes a considerable fault length to produce anything over a 4.0. But that's just it- if it's an unknown fault, it could be any length, and buried kilometers under the ground. Honestly, I wish fracking did have something to do with it. But in this case, I don't think so.

I just got off the phone with a friend who is literally right there in Weaverville. He confirmed he both heard and felt the biggest 2.5 quake of the series. There were a few others that felt/heard it too, and few facebook blurbs, but that was about it. No one followed up. He was shocked when I told him that there have been 13 total quakes there within the last week. Hey, chances are it's nothing and will just go away, right?

...Right? Man I hope so. I thought it was near impossible for a quake to get anywhere near me here.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Yup i think that these will just become bigger in the coming months i started a thread saying that the EQ's ae getting closer to the east coast. there's some good info there too i think

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Check it out let me know what you think.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   
has the brown mountain lights been over active in the recent timeline?

they are in the same region as Ashville

in any case, the ground shaking should result in a increase of gold-panning in the area as settled strata releases old trapped gold nuggets or at least flakes...NC had the 1st historical gold rush ...
edit on th30146175465227572016 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Absolutelt bizarre! I know right where this is, I wonder what the old timers in the area would make of this.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

I think they approved fracking in TN & NC (the TN/NC border is an area where fracking might occur). I don't know if it is related at all, but it is confirmed that in Oklahoma, fracking caused the rash of earthquakes in that state.

I did a little searching on it, but can't find a direct correlation yet - I don't know where the industry is or isn't fracking right now.

Then again, it may be unrelated. If we start seeing a lot of new earthquake patterns in the area, however, I would definitely investigate the fracking angle further.

It might be time to get that earthquake rider in NC and TN?

= AB

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   
in 1886, charleston had a fairly large earthquake. so, not out of the realm of possibility.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   

There was a big debate around fracking in NC in 2014 and 2015..not sure how those turned out? But fracking can and does cause earthquakes...usually small and flurried like this?

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Just saw this thread.

My biggest phobia is earthquakes. They turn my legs to instant jello, no matter how small. Just the thought...

Don't you folks follow the spaceweather place? I've tried on other threads to do a link but I'm just now learning how to do internal ATS links, thanks to some patient friends here.

I'll try to do an internal link to someone who knows how, but if I screw it up, you can probably figure it out on your own.

For me, with a life time phobia of quakes, I watch this program faithfully every morning, before even getting out of bed. This guy's voice is soothing and it helps to get a sense of what's going on or might go on each day and why. Trust me, it really helps.

Okay...I'm embarrassing myself again. I lost the link to the guy with the link...the guy with the cat jumping out of the cockpit. (Now, that was a sentence I never saw coming six months ago...)

spaceweathernews.com...

Good luck to you all! I'm thinking if it's anything THAT big, we'd all feel it coming.

WHOA!!! I actually accidentally got it right!!! The link's alive!!!!
edit on 27-4-2016 by ClownFish because: Just exploded with glee over getting something right...

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

A great material source for the effects of fracking is include Canada in the search...

NC fracking was pushed through by a farce, the deciding vote was from a legislator coming in late right before the deadline and claimed to have got the yea nay mixed up in defense... um when its your job to know the difference between yea and nay one would think it would be curtains... but despite te legislator saying the vote was a mistake it still stood as passed, I said well that doesnt mean they have to issue permits for it, and talk about getting hounded by industry shills and reps for suggesting that. Needless to say it still got the go ahead even after overwhelming opposition to it... of course te NC government is so corrupt it isnt even funny... I could go on about it like the DOT head Tata in office writing anti government propaganda books and slandering Obama and using the DMV to discriminate the disabled and poor by illegally accessing medical records or the examiners making johnny on the spot medical asessments so people would have to fill out medical reviews and if they didnt revoked in a catch 22 also it was being used to gerrymander districts with the voter ID and fudge numbers not to mention all the out of state lobbying to by out state and local elections then Tata had the nerve to ask the Fed for over 2 billion in road improvements which was really to go to some pie in the sky transportation deal for all the revoked license people... he abruptly bailed office and then managed to saunter right back in the NCESCOstate employment security commision) head bailed (early retired) after hiring friends and family for positions at very high salaries for permanent and temp work not qualified and over workers that were...

Not to mention theres this silly clause that the state government can throw off a decision the not be reviewed again in under 2 years as a delay tactic... and there is no initivate process in the state, people must petition and those are just flat out ignored. Its also one of those "driving is a privy" not a necessity states even though tax payers pay for all the roads signs and upkeep what the fed doesnt chip in, plus any state services that recieves federal money cannot discriminate making the whole NCDOT completely rogue in its discrimination and violation of human rights.

Fortunately a lot of steam has been put on all of this and the corruption coming under heavy scrutiny, but of course not soon enough... I had my medical records illegally asessed and got some of that illegeal paper work trying to say I had some seizure disorder when it was just a side effect once over 20 years ago from a medication I took less than a week...

at any rate nazism is alive and well in the NC government, including that whole bathroom nonsense that recently made national headlines... talk about a state needing the entire rats nest overhauled and revamped from so much entrenched corruption thats generational career politican after career politican. I would have sued the living dog turd out of them for the illegeal stunt they pulled but tat would only have hurt taxpayers instead of oust them, so of course I let the fed know in every office that handles such violations... and people want to yell states rights will no over sight? yeah right, when its 50 states with 50 different constitutions and many of them trying to go rogue and dictate to its citizens against what the citizens want and rig and gerrymander districts? Um nope NC is a beautiful state with beautiful people but those turds just want to ruin it for personal gain... um yeah not for for long. even though theyve been trying to get some citizens groups to rig elections right down to the local level? sorry you corrupt nazis raping us for personal and corporate gains and agendas its not going to happen.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Actually I believe the east coast will probably get a 7.0 earthquake in the near future. Something destabilized a few years ago in virginia.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   

You do know quakes are worse on the east coast because it's just one big plate, the whole thing moves so you get hundreds of miles of shaking.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   

You do know quakes are worse on the east coast because it's just one big plate, the whole thing moves so you get hundreds of miles of shaking.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Mother Nature is punishing NC for not allowing men in the girl's bathroom

Here is the history of earthquakes in NC

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   
North Buncombe earthquake goes 'boom,' felt by many
www.citizen-times.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join