It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

King Center 'humbled' by decision to put MLK on $5 bill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   

King Center officials say they are proud and humbled that Martin Luther King Jr.’s photo has been chosen to be on the back of the new $5 bill.

The U.S. Treasury announced changes to the $20, $10 and $5 bills last week.

King Center 'humbled' by decision to put MLK on $5 bill

That's right folks, not only do we have Ms. Tubman soon to be gracing the $20 bill, we now have Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. gracing the $5 bill. No, he won't replace Lincoln, but he will be put on the back, along with other historical figures:

The new $5 bill will keep President Abraham Lincoln’s picture on the front, but the back will now highlight historic events at the Lincoln Memorial, featuring images of renowned opera singer Marian Anderson, First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt and Martin Luther King Jr.

All right, great. I don't see a problem with this (and I certainly don't see replacing Jackson with Tubman as a problem, or as outrageous as people want to believe), but I find it slightly ironic, again. Ironic that Jackson was is on the 20, considering his stance on banks, ironic to put Tubman on the 20, since we're pretty much all slaves to money and debt, and not ironic that Dr. Martin Luther King Jr would appear on the 5. While in theory it's a great "honor," I doubt Dr. King would have liked this—at all, considering the corruption money causes in most facets of life, and *especially* in politics since we've gotten Citizens United and the obscene influx of money essentially dictating our political and international actions.

“Juxtaposing Dr. King's image and other iconic voices of freedom on one side with President Abraham Lincoln on the other poignantly symbolizes the connection between the promise of a nation the fulfillment of that promise and the never-ending generational struggle to reach our promise,” Dr. Bernice King said in a statement.

Oh yes, still slaves to the (mostly white) overlords running the country and our mega-corporations, and also slaves to money, debt, greed, and everything that keep this nation going as corruptly as it is, on the backs of the common person and those who struggled to break free of the (monetary) chains that have us in so much discontent.

From treasury.gov:

The reverse of the $10 will honor the heroes of the women’s suffrage movement and depict the March of 1913, a march for women’s suffrage from the U.S. Capitol to the steps of the Treasury Department.
Link

I think it's great to want to honor these people who sacrificed so much for advancement of their causes, but the timing is interesting.

Personally, I don't care one way or another who is on our currency, as long as it's someone respectable, but it's still ironic, and it's interesting that it's all happening *now.*

Times are indeed changing, and I'm wondering how much of a reaction to our current political and social tensions it is. We must move forward, even as some people wish us to regress.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Typical. Kill him, then aggrandize him. He's probably laughing his ass off.

Edit: They did the same thing to JFK, except he only rated a 50 cent piece. Adjusted for inflation and collectors value, whats that say about the US of A?

Interesting to note MLK replaces Abe lincoln on the fiver, the champion for ending black slavery, who also was assassinated.

Gimme five…
edit on 26-4-2016 by intrptr because: additional

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

I support the King picture on the $5 way more than Tubman on the $20. I have a lot of respect for Dr. King, but I think they could have done better on the $20 than Tubman. I would actually like to see King on the front of the $5. Lincoln already has the penny.
edit on 2016/4/26 by Metallicus because: eta

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I have a great deal of respect for him too, and I think it would be preferable to *not* put him on currency, but he is an extremely respectable candidate.

As for Tubman, you have your reasons for not thinking she should be there; as for me, I'm mostly indifferent but not against it, it's just interesting...why her?

Not that there is necessarily a conspiracy, it's just very interesting.

link   
The only problem I have with this is they're printing money out of thin air without anything to back it up.

link   
I like it! I was thinking at first, why just the $5? I do like it.
edit on 26-4-2016 by HUMBLEONE because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Edit: They did the same thing to JFK, except he only rated a 50 cent piece. Adjusted for inflation and collectors value, whats that say about the US of A?

Interesting to note MLK replaces Abe lincoln on the fiver, the champion for ending black slavery, who also was assassinated.

No, Lincoln will not be replaced he will stay on the front. MLK and others be put on the *back*.

Which is metaphorically ironic in itself.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE
Goddamn straight! Kick all them honkies off! Ben Franklin.... you fired! Al Sharpton's taking the big money! An guess who's buried in Grants tomb? Mmmh! Malcolm X on the fifty!

Lip service.

Dead presidents aside… all are dead.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

No, Lincoln will not be replaced he will stay on the front. MLK and others be put on the *back*.

Which is metaphorically ironic in itself.

Thanks for the correction, and the chuckle…

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Huh? What's your beef with Tubman?

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

why even ask.

certain groups will still be opposed and offended and refuse to accept it like some shops posted on FB... just because ... 'insert "X" rights'

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   

I am not against Tubman I just think they could have done way better. For example, I think Dr. King is a much better candidate. Surely there are some more well known people that deserve the $20 than her.

ETA: Neil Armstrong comes to mind.
edit on 2016/4/26 by Metallicus because: eta

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

What the hell are you even talking about? I just think there are more famous people that deserve it over Tubman. I would like to see Dr. King on the $20 over Tubman.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Really?

Mind blown. I've never thought the day would come when someone said they don't think Tubman is deserving of anything.

To each their own I guess but I see no problem with her being put on the bill.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

I would much rather see Dr. King on the front of the bill, as opposed to say... a bloodthirsty tyrant.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Might be cool to have all new bills have the front a famous president that altered the country (positively..like, objectively positive. no Reagan, no Obama. Let them decide that in a hundred years) and in the back, a civilian who helped shape, like King, Tubman, and perhaps something of art, not just bad history...put Mark Twain on the back of the 1 with a pithy quote, thomas edison on the back of the 100, etc.

It would be educational and serve to honor people who changed the country and ideal creators of our history

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

he just..what?
What did Neil do?
How many peoples lives did Tubman save? Neil was a test pilot on a bucket to the moon that a fair percentage of the world thinks didn't even happen. I mean hell, compared to Neil, the Wright brothers are far more deserving..without them, no flight, no spaceships, no federation of light!

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE
Goddamn straight! Kick all them honkies off! Ben Franklin.... you fired! Al Sharpton's taking the big money! An guess who's buried in Grants tomb? Mmmh! Malcolm X on the fifty!

Lip service.

Dead presidents aside… all are dead.

Some dead deservedly so.(lincoln) Honest abe my arse. Replace that traitor with MLK on the front.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Really?

Mind blown. I've never thought the day would come when someone said they don't think Tubman is deserving of anything.

To each their own I guess but I see no problem with her being put on the bill.

Tubman isn't a hero of mine. MLK is as well as Neil Armstrong. Sorry my personal opinions bother you so much (not really).

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: Metallicus

he just..what?
What did Neil do?
How many peoples lives did Tubman save? Neil was a test pilot on a bucket to the moon that a fair percentage of the world thinks didn't even happen. I mean hell, compared to Neil, the Wright brothers are far more deserving..without them, no flight, no spaceships, no federation of light!

You can argue all day about who your heroes are and they won't be the same as mine. I think Neil Armstrong is awesome and he was a hero of mine growing up. Tubman died a century before I was even born. I also agree that the Wright brothers make more sense to me than Tubman.

Why not Patton or Eisenhower? I respect the hell out of them.

<<   2 >>

join