It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Islamist Turkey seizes ALL Christian churches in city and declares them 'state property'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 12:57 AM
link   
TURKEY'S Islamist government has stepped up its war on Christianity by seizing all the churches in one city and declaring them state property.
By Nick Gutteridge

PUBLISHED: 00:01, Fri, Apr 22, 2016 | UPDATED: 15:30, Fri, Apr 22, 2016

www.express.co.uk...

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has taken control of six churches in the war-torn southeastern city of Diyarbakir in his latest move to squash freedom of speech and religious movement.
. . .
Included in the seizures are Catholic, Protestant and Orthodox churches, one of which is over 1,700 years old.
. . .
But the seizures have outraged worshippers at the churches, who fear a government coup against their religion are now threatening to take legal action against the decision.
Ahmet Guvener, pastor of Diyarbakir Protestant Church, said: "The government didn't take over these pieces of property in order to protect them. They did so to acquire them."
. . .
But, unlike Christian churches which are maintained by the generosity of their congregations, all mosques in Turkey are state-backed and funded, meaning their futures are secure.
. . .

What an unsurprise.

The bloke at the top there has all the earmarks of being a ruthless, dogmatic, tyrannical and probably hidden radical Islamist.

No few people wonder if he'll turn out to be the Anti-Christ. I don't thinks so--but they have a list of reasons they think so.

I think that if the EU grants Turkey unfettered membership with visa-free travel across their borders, that Europe is done for--more than it already is.

Clearly Alice's rabbit hole has engulfed the planet.

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 01:17 AM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

The U.S. has all the best allies, don't we?

More hating on Christians.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

INDEEED.

[[fingers in cheek . . . ]] . . . Naw . . . not hating . . . it's merely open season on Christians as we were warned it would be. These are merely the beginning days/weeks/months of the years of open season.

Besides, Political Correctness dictionary declares that it's impossible to 'hate' Christians. Christians by PC definition are always the 'haters' . . . by Daffynition.

I wonder if they'll bring back the lions and the arenas for such spectacles. Certainly a ?surprising? chunk of folks hereon and in the culture at large, would be in the stands cheering for the lions.

I have long wondered . . . at what future stage of the efforts to exterminate Christianity and Christians off the planet . . . will those chronically hostile to Christians but not quite totally sold out to the dark lord . . . yet . . . at what point will they begin to go . . . "Uhhhh . . . I think I've been betting on the wrong horse!" I think it will be massively difficult to reach that conclusion knowing they'd thereby be submitting to the lions themselves.

Sure is an interesting era . . . in the Chinese sense of the word.

edit on 26/4/2016 by BO XIAN because: added

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 01:25 AM
link   

I knew before I even checked the source this was bunk but now its confirmed. Express UK is a right wing tabloid paper that make bogus sensationalist claims.

I'm not surprised though seeing as who started this thread. Always right wing news sources.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Joecanada11

I knew before I even checked the source this was bunk but now its confirmed. Express UK is a right wing tabloid paper that make bogus sensationalist claims.

So you checked...is the news false or what ? Are churches seized by the Turkey govt ?

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 01:38 AM
link   
well...here is the NY TImes link...perhaps it's more "trustworthy" to you

NYTimes

so...it appears...somebody is spewing bunk...just not the Express...

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly
The bunk would be in the spin,

Shortly after that speech, the local housing administration started tearing down decrepit residential buildings in Sur, but opposition soon brought a halt to the demolition. Many of the buildings in Sur are protected, prohibiting big restoration projects. Mass construction can be carried out only if the government declares an urgent expropriation, as it has done now.

www.nytimes.com...

As opposed to:

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has taken control of six churches in the war-torn southeastern city of Diyarbakir in his latest move to squash freedom of speech and religious movement.

edit on 4/26/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 01:43 AM
link   

INDEED.

Here's some more sources for those allergic to the truth via their personally dismissed channels:

BTW, many Christian orgs have folks on the ground in Turkey to easily verify such things.
www.inquisitr.com...

www.al-monitor.com...

www.cbneurope.com...

barnabasfund.org...

www.charismanews.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 01:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I'm kinda dumb that way...care to draw it out for me ?

what exactly is the spin ?

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Sooooooooooo Dear Objectivist Pope [affectionate label, BTW],

how do you decide which spin is the most attractive?

--or the most objectively accurate?

--or the most flattering of your own values?

or whatever your criteria is?

This is an honest question. I'd like to learn a bit more about how the mind of the Great Phage works.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 01:47 AM
link   

how do you decide which spin is the most attractive?

Neither.
Lacking reliable information. Sensationalistic headlines don't lean me in that direction.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Your tittle says all churches but the article only says 6, i lnow im an apologist because im going to say this deserves to be in the hoax bin.

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 01:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
The bunk would be in the spin,

Shortly after that speech, the local housing administration started tearing down decrepit residential buildings in Sur, but opposition soon brought a halt to the demolition. Many of the buildings in Sur are protected, prohibiting big restoration projects. Mass construction can be carried out only if the government declares an urgent expropriation, as it has done now.

www.nytimes.com...

As opposed to:

Still dont get it ?...both of your quotes show that the Govt seized the land...again...what's the spin ? The part about squashing freedom of speech and religious movement ? Huh...you're probably right...Erdogan simply wouldnt crush freedom of speech. He is soooo nice and open to criticism. Infact...one of his many middle names is Tayip Recep Freedomofspeech Erdogan.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 01:52 AM
link   

However, sensational headlines may have nothing to do with validity of the narrative

and everything to do with attracting readers to the narrative.

How do you distinguish between those probabilities, values, strategies?

I see it as the old false positive risk vs false negative risk fence that we persist in being on opposite sides of.

edit on 26/4/2016 by BO XIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Typical newspaper hyperbole.

6 churches = "That's bad"
All churches = "OMG!!! Kill them all! Look at what they've done!"

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 01:55 AM
link   

How do you distinguish between those probabilities, values, strategies?

Without more actual information, you don't. At least, I don't.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

I gather that your values are such that

facts which don't 100% totally fit

your personal sensibilities are to be relegated to the hoax bin?

And you think the rest of us should treat that notion as sensible?

Interesting.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 01:57 AM
link   

I do think you've demonstrated a lot of faithfulness to that standard.

--at least in your public postings. That is incredibly admirable.

Though . . . sometimes the 'feel' surrounding some of your perspectives has a different flavor. LOL.

Certainly that could well be a lot in the 'eye' of the beholder.

Love seeing you on a thread.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 01:58 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Soooooooooooo . . . how did you determine how many churches were in the city?

Are there 6? 8? 12? 24?

I'm guessing close to 6 or 6.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 02:01 AM
link   

There were 6 LEFT.

That means originally there were more than 6.

The rest have either been abandoned, destroyed or taken over before.

ETA: The churches were Christian AND Catholic. While some would argue they're the same, some would argue they're not.
edit on 2642016 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join