It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freedom comes with obligation

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Im born in a western culture, in the western hemisphere. Our western world started in the year of 1492 when columbus discovered America. But the rest of the world, already existed long before. The silk and spice routes laid a foundation of cultural, scientific, craft, medicine and artwork stretching from one part of the world to the other. Thousands of years before even the first alphabetic letter.

What went wrong?

I consider the privilege of freedom is something gained by understanding your obligations not something you are born with. And i find myself all to often listning to these words proclaimed by an American president

These words were proclaimed by an American president;

Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.

These few words, this single quote, portrays where our society in the western world no longer exist in. In society, we have obligations to achieve our freedom. We arent born with it.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: PanPiper
Our western world started in the year of 1492 when columbus discovered America.

No it didn't, just the continent was invaded and indigenous people were treated like crap.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

These few words, this single quote, portrays where our society in the western world no longer exist in. In society, we have obligations to achieve our freedom. We arent born with it.

Sounds crap where you live. In my corner of the 'western world' people are mostly community focused and are quite passionate about our country and fellow countryfolk.
edit on 25.4.2016 by grainofsand because: quote tag issues

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: PanPiper

I consider the privilege of freedom is something gained by understanding your obligation

You cannot be free and have obligations nor is freedom a privilege. Freedom is our natural.state. The moment we have obligations you cease to be free. What you speak of are ideas that enslave, not free. Anarchy is the only true freedom.

Maybe you think you are free, but if you serve a master or society other than yourself you are a slave. This doesn't mean we cannot be kind to others, but the moment those interactions become obligation you have effectively chained yourself.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

columbus didnt discover america

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Everyone has their world of hopes and dreams, reality can be to difficult to cope with for most western world states..
And im gonna say, most people arent passionate about their country, most people are lazy and they want to keep on being lazy..

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

an you are wrong we are born free

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1

As long as the school books says he did, means our culture dictates he did.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   

that is the stupidest thing ive heard in along time, congradulations.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   

As soon as your born in a society, you get a number.
As soon as your born in the world, you have needs, those needs to be nurtured and treated as humane as possible.
As soon as your born in the western world, the state, signs a lifelong contract with you..

If you didnt have the luxury of society, food, hospitals, home.. What would you do?

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

If America is in a economic deathspiral, is it the banks fault or the peoples fault?

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   

i never signed a contract so therefore i am free of everything you u just said, the only thing ive done is comply with the laws i deem worthy when i deem them worthy.
edit on 25-4-2016 by DOCHOLIDAZE1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

And blame everyone else when you get frustrated over things not going your way?

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   

were did u get that?

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   

If you didnt have the luxury of society, food, hospitals, home.. What would you do?

Ask these people: Uncontacted peoples

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

There you have freedom, the only people that can actually call themselves free.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

what would i do? live in the woods perferably near a river and clear out a couple plots and grow food, fish, hunt. and probably move evey couple years

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

the only thing ive done is comply with the laws i deem worthy when i deem them worthy.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

a reply to: butcherguy

There you have freedom, the only people that can actually call themselves free.

Others can be free.
Although society calls them 'outlaws'.
Two guys see a deer.
The first guy says 'I can't kill it, season isn't open.'
The second guy says, 'I can.' and shoots it.

The second guy is free.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   

There you have the concept of freedom.. nothing is stopping you, no one will ever stop you from becoming homeless..

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

a reply to: grainofsand

Everyone has their world of hopes and dreams, reality can be to difficult to cope with for most western world states..
And im gonna say, most people arent passionate about their country, most people are lazy and they want to keep on being lazy..

...and you know 'most people' do you?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join