It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The emasculation of the modern male

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

I don't think acting tough is my point that's moronic as you say.

Being masculine and acting tough are different.

For instance part of my own masculinity is understanding who I am and being confident in that.

What I'm talking about is that process of discovery and an honesty that you can't deny.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

That sounds like a journey of self. Why do you need anything in society to project that for you?

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

That sounds like a journey of self. Why do you need anything in society to project that for you?

I think he is getting at a culture that downgrades the straight talking and acting sort of behaviour in favour of a general attitude of shying away from conflict and bottling things up.

I could be wrong.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

My process of discovery is about examining all evidence critically and rationally. Not picking a team and fighting for it with both fingers stuck in my ear.

Bottom line: at 47, I don't believe that we are being "feminized." The traditional path illustrated by 40's-80's culture is not the only way to be a man. The single-minded pursuit of money, power and sexual dominance may be the prevailing cultural narrative, but that doesn't mean its the only path to happiness, success or even being comfortable in your own skin. In fact, the deification of this narrative is demonstrably toxic to almost everyone -- men included, and should rightly be examined, dissected, and modified by individuals seeking true freedom and power.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   

I think age skews perspective in that you forget who you were at 15-25.

You can't expect young men to have this perspective until they work it out and they are the most easily influenced by cultural perspective and outside influences until they finish self actualization and firmly established their own identity.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Yes that is an effect of many effects.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1

I have fought hundreds of times in my life(not an exaggeration), lost many won many, was in a fight club with my friends after that Brad Pitt movie came out. Also i have a short fuse and used to drink alot. But I never fought dirty. I in fact will do as much damage as I have to in a fight. No reason to cause physical harm. Why you feel you can't fight like a man is beyond me.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   
As a left wing male who has had two very feminist girlfriends why do I not feel emasculated. I avoid fist fights whenever I can. My good looks just aren't worth jeopardising to prove some Neanderthal instincts are still alive.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

I'm honestly surprised that the thread want as far as it did without the last few comments.

It Was going amazingly well.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

That is at least partially true, and I honor that. The problem is the narrative that we are being feminized is prompting boys to act out, and engage in acts of physical or sexual violence, in order to lay claim to or reclaim their "lost" masculinity. That is no good for any of us, honestly.

Can you at least admit that while your training in the sweet science may have helped you on your path to self-actualization, its lack, or even unsupervised reenactment may reinforce a kind of toxic masculinity in others who were not born with your inherent ability, mindset or sense of purpose and self worth?

I have already agreed that voluntary boxing programs are a good thing. My problem is with backlash masculinity. There are a lot of men who feel threatened when they are not automatically given the respect they feel they deserve, and they are killing each other, as well as women and children, with alarming frequency when they eventually "pop."

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: BoxFulder

ha exactly the kind of brainwashing and delusional train of thought that gets people hurt or killed. When i spar i dont fight dirty other than that anything is game. I actually bank on weak minded fools such as yourself when a real fight goes down, you make it so easy.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I will totally agree with you that thus idea can be perverted and used for evil.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Our sense of self is in part defined by societal norms. We are all, at least in part, confined and even defined by what society will allow, or what society encourages. It is a synergistic dynamic between the individual and larger society.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
As a left wing male who has had two very feminist girlfriends why do I not feel emasculated. I avoid fist fights whenever I can. My good looks just aren't worth jeopardising to prove some Neanderthal instincts are still alive.

It's funny how the definition of a left wing male has changed since the days of Unionised Glasgow steel workers, Yorkshire miners and Liverpool dockers to name but 3.

;-)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: BoxFulder

originally posted by: BoxFulder

was in a fight club with my friends after that Brad Pitt movie came out. e.

this what i am talking about, people have watched way too many movies, thats not how it really is, fing idiot
edit on 25-4-2016 by DOCHOLIDAZE1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-4-2016 by DOCHOLIDAZE1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: DOCHOLIDAZE1

originally posted by: BoxFulder

was in a fight club with my friends after that Brad Pitt movie came out. e.

this what i am talking about, people have watched way too many movies, thats not how it really is, fing idiot

This is the perversion of what im using as an example to show that society has been at war with masculinity.

Feminism and female energy does not equal !male or !malequality

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
In the name of equality we have levelled the sexes, and repressed the instincts. This has occurred not only to masculinity, but femininity as well.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Thank you. And thank you for the thread.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Even worse, they watch too many movies, and fail to read books. Fight Club was also a critical examination of the sociological aspects of manhood and masculinity. It wasn't 100% pro or con. Great comment.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
In the name of equality we have levelled the sexes, and repressed the instincts. This has occurred not only to masculinity, but femininity as well.

I agree with you totally that there is an effort to blurr the lines.

I don't know why.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join