It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drones Operating in the UK?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: YarlanZey

No accident's at the time as far as i'm aware. Would guess that it was a military aircraft rather than civi anyway?

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: solidshot
OK bit of a weird one, Just saw my first (Large) drone flying over a housing estate near where i live. Unfortunately didn't have a camera on me to take any pictures so hoping someone can help identify it from a basic description?

There didn't seem to be any marking on it and i would guess it was flying at sub 500 feet lvl. It had twin tail booms connected together by a "Wing" surface across the top edge. There was a single engine on the rear of the fuselage in a "Pusher" configuration and the fuselage was quite short with a rounded bulbous front end.

It was clearly too big to have been toy used by one of the houses round here, and flying surprisingly low which seemed a bit strange?

So anyone have any ideas how i can narrow down/ find out what type of drone this was?

Nothing to be alarmed about guys...it's a gift from the Obama...just making sure you cast the "right" vote come referendum time.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: solidshot

In the US it's 500 feet over the tallest structure when flying near a town. There are areas here and in the UK where it's pretty much as low as they want.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Aye i know special forces pilots are allowed in certain circumstances to fly lower than 500 feet, I've seen them flying Hercs below through the valleys down into Bath, where those of us on the roads were looking down upon them. Also seen them at tree top lvl just North of Hereford on a few occasions.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   

It's not just SOF. They have low level and high speed areas set up all over the place. Strike pilots go screaming through canyons actually flying below the level of the people taking pictures of them.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: solidshot

Aye i know special forces pilots are allowed in certain circumstances to fly lower than 500 feet, I've seen them flying Hercs below through the valleys down into Bath, where those of us on the roads were looking down upon them. Also seen them at tree top lvl just North of Hereford on a few occasions.

We get that a fair bit where I live in Lincs. Right between Waddington and Coningsby. Used to get Hercs mainly, probably as low as a good sized tree. Not so much these days though since Waddington's being renovated.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Speaking of low level, the spotters at the Mach Loop got a special treat today when the Raptors decided to run through.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   

I bet it was quite the show, anyone got any shots?

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Bfirez

There are a few floating around Twitter, but they're shots of the camera screen with the picture on it. . I'm sure there will be more later that are better.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I've only done the Mach Loop the once a long long time ago,think it was something like Hunters back in those days (1970s) but did it scare the crap out of me.I think my dad knew but kept it as a surprise as he never said anything before we got there.

Not my photo,but it sure does show why the Mach Loop is so famous........

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Bfirez

Just some teases

mobile.twitter.com...
edit on 26-4-2016 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Civil aircraft must remain about 500ft in the UK unless on an approach. There are military radar corridors all over the UK to permit transit across civilian traffic routes, the mach run is serviced by 'the lichfield corridor' and is often busy with transiting F-15Es....noisy buggers! It's very very rare for RAF aircraft to fly below 500ft other than over the ranges.

The only twin tail drones I can think of are both Israeli, Heron and Eitan.

We 'may' be flying Eitan at the moment, where did you see this exactly?

Cheers
Robbie

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: stratsys-sws

Over a housing estate in the middle of High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. Not far from Strike Command as it used to be. Nearest RAF station with a runway that i know of would probably be Benson although Brize Norton isn't that much further away? The two drones mention have similarities but the cross "Wing" joining the two tail booms together is too low. This had it joining at the top edge not lower down.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Straight, or sort of triangular looking where it ran between the booms?

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Straight.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 05:57 AM
link   

So, the horizontal stabiliser fixed to the top of the tail fins? That's unusual, how large would you say it was, estimated wingspan and length? If it was low it should be fairly east to estimate.

Only choppers fly from Strike, (now Air Command). If it was low over housing I would say it was not military.

Cheers
Robbie

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: stratsys-sws

A bit smaller than a small Cesna Pretty sure it didn't come out of "Air Command" as as far as i know there isn't a runway there? (Although back in the eighties it was reputed there were a couple of Harriers bases there for defence?)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

If it's a twin boom UAV with the tailplane mounted at the top of the fins, it could very well be QinetiQ's Lintel or the F-720. As for where it came from, there's a few locations, but Llanbedr or Boscombe seem likely.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 05:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bfirez

I bet it was quite the show, anyone got any shots?

F-22 followed by F-15E

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: jimbib

Lintel is not an aircraft but it was the name of the qinetiq managed service providing UAS to the RNA in Afghan using the Israeli Aerostar drone. Aerostar would fit the size but to be honest I'd forgotten about it! Aerostar Link

The F-720 was planned to be at RPAS/llanbedr being used on the Astraea programme but further funding was denied for Astraea so I don't know what happened to the 720 but that's probably a great shout! Especially as it was used for flight testing of a UAV in controlled airspace.

Cheers
Robbie

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join