It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands in Georgia finding out they are no longer eligible for food stamps

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Komodo
a reply to: Psychonautics

yes.. however..

that all depends on WHERE you LIVE !!! big cities .. yep .. lots of jobs, maybe.. housing...not so much ..

walk in my shoes, reality gets super real and the system is worse that most think it is.. I've paid into it for 40 years.. so yes.. I get the benifit from it ...and SHOULD!

For some of us .. it's a hand UP .. for others .. it's a hand out

No one is saying nobody deserves help, but I refuse to believe it's the majority that need it and the minority taking advantage.

I don't need to walk in anyone else's shoes, I have a legitimate disability, I'm stuck with extremely expensive housing options ( I currently pay $1660 rent per month for a typical two bedroom, not counting electric ) I work two jobs and do everything in my power to get things done, even on days where my back pain is enough to make someone keel over in pain, because it's life, it's tough, it's survival.
edit on 25-4-2016 by Psychonautics because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I dare anyone to listen to Lucy and then tell me that we shouldn't cut someone like her off if they happen to have no dependents and be of sound body and able to work.

Listen to her in this call and tell me why I should be paying for her instead of someone who is truly unable to work and provide for him or herself.

Give me a really good reason why Lucy needs that money more.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Here's something I've been talking over with a close friend of mine.. and running through the 'what if's..."

hmmmm....running the numbers on this .. we are facing, possible bigger issue(s) that will, if not curbed, will have deep ramifications ...

Let me recap this .. 500,000 alone, or less, in Oregon will NOT receive food stamps .. that's $200.00/month, even for those working part-time......when people run out of food and water ...there's an issue...or am I just stretching this too far...?

Math doesn't lie..
Oregon Demographics

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Have you tried a chiropractor? I mean it. I was debilitated back in 2010 with unbearable pain in my lower back, and went to my chiro. Hadn't been there in ages. He took x-rays - my spine was twisted like a corkscrew, shaped like an inverted capital L with a tail, and sitting on top of hips so misaligned they caused one leg to be a full inch shorter than the other. Think a sway-bar link.

Except with one end pivoted at a right angle to the rest of the spine.

He straightened me out. If I had gone, instead, to an orthopod, I'd have rods in my back.

edit on 4/25/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I'm not sure anything but surgery could fix my issue, and it would be too invasive.

Basically, a part of my L1 cracked clean off, and is just floating. It can cause serious stabbing pains, and because it's so low, it can cause me to throw my back out like an 80 year old.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   

ew!!! ow!!!

So sorry to hear that. Yes, Mr Wigs has a floating rib-chunk that punctured a lung and took years to scar over and stop bothering him while breathing.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   

No one is saying nobody deserves help,

Actually, loads of people are saying just that -
they go on and on about personal responsibility, accountability, worthless-eater status, takers, leaches, fakers, and unwanted kids whose parents are too lazy to care for them.....

but I refuse to believe it's the majority that need it and the minority taking advantage.

Then you are missing most of the picture. The tiniest minority are those taking advantage.

Believe it or don't. Some things are true whether you believe them or not.
Just hope (and pray, or whatever) that you are never in a position to need help or to be scrutinized for your worthiness or lack thereof.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

ew!!! ow!!!

So sorry to hear that. Yes, Mr Wigs has a floating rib-chunk that punctured a lung and took years to scar over and stop bothering him while breathing.

That's pretty scary. They warned me the same could happen to me with my fragment and other organs, but it was still too invasive and not worth the surgery.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   

edit on 4/25/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: bah. not worth the gratification

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Who are you to judge "Lucy's" worthiness?

One of the people expected to foot the bill? There's an organically derived concept that deems those responsible for the well being of another usually have a large stake and high degree of input into the choices of those on the receiving end. Organically and naturally, it's known as "parenting." In this modern society it seems that those of us who are tasked/forced to parent all these adult children should logically have the same level of input input into their poor decisions as we would with our own children who we actually chose to be responsible for.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Since their able bodied, they shouldn't have too much trouble simply moving to a new location where they can restart the food stamp program in a new area.
edit on 25-4-2016 by korath because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Don't. Just, don't.

No one asked you to "parent" anyone except your own offspring.
Don't even go there. You don't know jack about parenting, or other people's situation. All you know is judging, and power. Parenting is not about "instilling fear of abandonment or bodily harm or withholding of sustenance, shelter, clothing, etc." Nono - that's religion, and the Right-Wing moneyed people.....

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Don't. Just, don't.

No one asked you to "parent" anyone except your own offspring.
Don't even go there. You don't know jack about parenting, or other people's situation.

1. I've done a fairly decent job of parenting (not to mention providing for) my own for 10 years now, so I'd say I do know "jack" about it.
2. I'd love a world where other people's situations are none of my business... but you surely can't expect someone to take no interest in how their investment is doing, can you? I mean, the comparison I made is apt. We have people who aren't taking responsibility for themselves, expect others to take that responsibility, and look to others to provide for them. They're adult children, little bitty full grown children who need mommy and daddy to pay the bills and provide the meals and entertainment and get petulant if things don't arrive as commanded on their schedule.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

1. I've done a fairly decent job of parenting (not to mention providing for) my own for 10 years now, so I'd say I do know "jack" about it.

For your own kids, I presume. Congratulations. I've been doing it for 27 years now....
for my own kids.

2. I'd love a world where other people's situations are none of my business... but you surely can't expect someone to take no interest in how their investment is doing, can you?

Ohhh!! You mean, like - if you're a donor to the local Community Mental Health Center, and you don't approve of the outcomes that the actual therapists are recording?

I mean, the comparison I made is apt.
So - what should they do - those workers who are faced with the indigent each day asking for food and shelter? Should they send them over to your doorstoop so you can judge whether or not they deserve your mercy?

We have people who aren't taking responsibility for themselves, expect others to take that responsibility, and look to others to provide for them.

Yes, we do.

They're adult children, little bitty full grown children who need mommy and daddy to pay the bills and provide the meals and entertainment and get petulant if things don't arrive as commanded on their schedule.

This is such a demeaning and arrogant thing to say.

You don't know their lives. You haven't lived their lives. You have no idea about their lives. You just have money to throw at them if you see fit. Nice. True humanity there.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: korath

Since their able bodied, they shouldn't have too much trouble simply moving to a new location where they can restart the food stamp program in a new area.

Right??? Because - moving is FREE!!!
And so easy!!

Yeah - if you actually live in a corrugated box down by the river and all your things fit into one grocery cart.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
They pulled this # on me in Minnesota where I had to go in and do the 20 hours a week job search. Problem is the weather there is too cold if you don't have a vehicle or at least money to buy proper clothing.

Luckily the snap office was about a mile so I managed to show up for it and went through the initial class and at the end I asked
if you can still get foodstamps on the rez and told them I was planning on moving to the rez at some point soon.

Not a week later I got a letter stating they had cut me off and I had been jumping their hoops but they must have decided they did not like me for having said I was moving to the reservation.

I of course went and tried to tell them what had happened to no avail. So I was stuck with no car, no money, and all my health issues that are holding me back from bootstrapping it. Rice and beans for a #ing year with yam cakes ( homemade from canned yams of course) Thank god for the local food bank or I would have had to say screw it and rob a store to eat.

These ass clowns in these jobs (mostly women) can and will abuse their power if they decide they dont like you.

The icing on the cake was the section 8 I was on was not supposed to charge rent if your income was zero. They charged me 100.00 every month for over a year and being unable to generate income I let the debt go fark it. These gals in that office were crabby and adversarial and even racist alot of times in this particular office like they just could not be bothered to help a young guy and his native american mother to survive the winter.

I only use the system since if I could afford to go pay the fees to hunt and fish I would hobble my ass out somewhere to do that along with building my own home wherever the hell I choose but doing so on your own volition these days can get you jailed or even killed so tough # I guess looks like I just gotta suck that teat and then suck it some more.
edit on 25-4-2016 by stabstab because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   

I would go as far as to say that you are making your own choice to suffer through it and thats good for you but I gotta tell you that working two jobs with an old injury like that is just stupid in my mind but again to each his own.

When was still working I did that alot too walk around with broken ribs, foot bones, torn up knees that would literally bend inward randomly where I had to catch myself with the other leg so as not to fall.

Finally I figured why should I keep doing this until my body is kaput I mean I deserve to preserve what little of my health I have left and I am fine with being broke as hell or no money at all having made such a choice.

Then again I know several people who are able bodied but they go in and whine about anxiety next thing you know they are walking around with an anxiety animal and a thousand dollar check every month when we have people with far far worse health conditions going flat out ignored by doctors and they Social Security system.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   

2. I'd love a world where other people's situations are none of my business... but you surely can't expect someone to take no interest in how their investment is doing, can you? I mean, the comparison I made is apt....

And just as an afterthought -
you are correct, we have people who are NOT taking responsibility. They are crap parents, all day long. Their kids are either in alternative schools or 'special ed' facilities - you see, I worked with those kids, too. I worked with kids aged newborn to emancipated whose parents had no clue, and were utterly ineffective (or absent).

You say you'd like if they were none of your business - but you recognize that, in fact, they are.

You should, by all means, take an interest in how your investment is doing....but you have to recognize also that if "your investment" is floating past in a polluted, sluggish stream, unconscious and near death, it is important to go upstream to see what happened to them - and to apprehend those who failed them to begin with.

It's called Social Work.
You can't just look at a kid whose parent was an idiot and utter crap and say "toss the kid out".

Well, I guess you could. Toss the kid out - the baby with the bathwater, don't they say?

But - far be it from you to help pay for parent education, poverty mitigation, additional opportunities for education, housing, food, etc.....
if you don't like the outcomes, you can just "sever the lifeline." Wow. How grand a pedestal indeed. What a powerful position to be in! It must make you positively giddy to realize how much power you have over those wretched people's lives!!

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: stabstab

next thing you know they are walking around with an anxiety animal and a thousand dollar check every month

: Wait....!!

wait. What's an "anxiety animal"? Like a service dog? And a thousand a month?

Where is this? It sounds pretty darned progressive and good to me.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

They count each adult and their income seperately you just tell them that when you apply. Like others here have said they gov pisses money and resources away as some kind of hobby so # them and take what they are offering.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join