It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multimodal Learning Through Media (and possible applications to the sciences)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I tend to use a lot of youtube video material in my comments because I have learned throughout my education that what we hear and see augments what we can learn about any given subject quite well. It is also related to something I have learned what education is all about (but I put this thread in this forum cause I was more interested in the applications to the sciences, the teaching of science and the threads and comments made in this forum or any other forum on ATS, I do consider this to be a scientific subject but obviously it's also about education).

EDUCATION

The imparting or acquisition of knowledge and skill. Education is accomplished through (1) explanation and repetition; (2) discipline, training administered in love (Pr 1:7; Heb 12:5, 6); (3) personal observation (Ps 19:1-3; Ec 1:12-14); (4) reproof and rebuke (Ps 141:5; Pr 9:8; 17:10).

Source: Education: Insight, Volume 1

Now for some of the commentary about visual+audial education in the article that I named this thread after:

“A picture is worth a thousand words.”
–Author Unknown

People have long quoted this statement, often attributing it to an ancient Chinese proverb. Emergent neuroscience and visualization research now reveals glimpses of the science behind the saying. Visuals matter. The rapid advances of technology in literally every field, including communication, medicine, transportation, agriculture, biotechnology, aerospace, and energy, have tremendously increased the amount of data and information at our fingertips. As we strive to make sense of unimaginably large volumes of data, visualization has become increasingly important. Why? Our brains are wired to process visual input very differently from text, audio, and sound. Recent technological advances hrough functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (fMRI) scans confirm a dual coding system through which visuals and text/auditory input are processed in separate channels, presenting the potential for simultaneous augmentation of learning. The bottom line is that students using well-designed combinations of visuals and text learn more than students who only use text.

Source: Multimodal-Learning-Through-Media: Cisco.com

And this wouldn't make for a good opening post if I didn't add at least 1 video from one of my favorite fields of science/knowledge, biology. So everyone can make a "personal observation" regarding the subjects being discussed, as well as what is discussed in the article above (and it is my hope that logic is also applied to the subjects being discussed and displayed by at least a few whose curiosity is piqued).

Now how about making some of the connections mentioned below and get those neurons firing with information that matters:

For more, click the link below:

Real science, knowledge about realities compared to philosophies and stories
edit on 24-4-2016 by whereislogic because: addition

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Just to continue on this notion of learning through media and because no one has responded yet, which may provide some people with an idea as to what to post; see the videos below. If you do feel like posting a video of your own, please try to share only videos with factual information about the sciences. Of course I can't stop you from posting mythology, philosophy or the latest attention drawing unrealized idea presented as science, a 'theoretical' computer model or possible scenario/story, or just the latest newest exciting news; but since there are plenty of threads on ATS for that anyway, this thread is perhaps more suited for videos with a slightly different approach than satisfying marketing concerns and capturing the attention of the public (a.k.a. 'tickling people's ears', trying to 'tell them what they want to hear'; entertaining the possible audience).

See the video below to get a better idea what type of videos I don't mean with "videos with factual information about the sciences" (I will also try to avoid videos such as below with just a guy talking after this one, unless perhaps when someone forces me to respond by posting animated mythology, philosophy, scenarios/stories, etc.):

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Some updated and edited videos and some new topics including the fields of Psychology, Physics and History (pardon the lack of some good supporting visuals about the subject of psychology which is not well suited for that perhaps, which shouldn't matter too much anyway given the topic in those videos, the last 2 videos have some good supporting visuals again).

The first 2:30 in the video may be familiar to you, but remember the OP where it says something about repetition (the video brings out the earlier points a bit better now and will take less of your time):

edit on 4-5-2016 by whereislogic because: addition

new topics

join