It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should fighting sports be legal?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Let me know how that goes! If one of my random ideas helps even one person that would make me happy.

I said kind of the same thing but I agree with SlapMonkey

Everything done between two consenting adults should be legal, as long as it doesn't directly harm anyone else. 

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   

I'd have to say those that participate in sports like Boxing and MMA know the consequences before they start for the most part...

Those that don't didn't really think about it before hand anyways... and likely had little to lose upstairs anyways

Its not for everyone... There are wavers that must be signed in any of these activities...

I boxed for a few years around the end of highschool, and was in Kickboxing for 2 years as well...

I was pretty good but that came to an end the first time i got my bell rang in the ring...

Some people just aren't made to fight... others thrive on it

Though theres nothing that should actually be illegal...

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

So...all spectators who pay to vicariously participate in all other sports are a perversion? Or just ones that let blood or you don't like?

I can join a dojo, go to a golf course, gym, whatever, but I still might like to watch the big fight on tv this Saturday. It's being a fan of the sport. Would that make me a pervert? Lol

And you can't take away my college football

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   
at reply to: Akragon

I'm not convinced it should be illegal but I want to hear opinions.

I'm bored on a train.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   

I have many many friends who have attempted MMA and only a handful actually perusing it as a career.

I do not feel that it should be illegal. There are many other injuries that occur from other sports.... football, basketball, soccer, rugby, you name it. If we get rid of "fighting sports" then we would need to reconstruct all the different penalties of every sport.

I get that the fighting can lead to serious complications... I truly do. But isn't it the same as signing up for extreme sports like bungee jumping or sky diving? You should know the risks before you join and if you think that there isn't a chance of serious injury from getting your face rocked on a daily basis, then I envy you because your ignorance is astounding (not you, speaking in general terms. Sometimes when I get into a discussion I write as if I am having an argument face to face with someone opposing my views)

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Fighting is a violent game... but its something our species has done since we starting walking upright lol...

People die in sports, its just a part of the game...

MMA is way safer then boxing... Mainly because people can tap out...

And as far as i know, no one has ever died in the ring... but people have died in boxing all over the place.

Its sports entertainment... hell people have died in Mens Ballet... aka WWE

*shrug*

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: SomeDumbBroad
I think the difference lies in doing it for a profit (in particular on the part of the promoters). I don't know of any professional bungee jumpers. In fact, people pay to go bungee jumping. Face it, the point of fight sports is to make money by beating someone senseless, causing permanent damage.

Illegal? No. Stupid, yes.

Me participating? Nope. Paying to watch? Nope.

edit on 4/23/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   

What if said person is already not that bright... and has a hard head to boot...

Said person has a future flipping burgers... or beating some ass for some good money

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Said person has a future flipping burgers... or beating some ass for some good money

To end up with brain damage. Yeah, that's worth it.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Can't damage a brain that doesn't work that good to begin with

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Most fighters come from violent and abusive childhoods.

I usually tell people I work with to do something else unless they have no choice.

And by have No choice I mean something other than financial only true competitors will unddrstand .

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Sadly someone has died from mma recently, I'm not sure if he had a preexisting condition or what. Someone died in the x-games doing a backflip on a snow machine too, but I don't think xgames should be illegal either.

I agree with you that mma is safer then boxing. Mma bout end faster and in a variety of ways, other then blows to the head.
edit on 23-4-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

edition.cnn.com...

edit on 23-4-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   

There are guys who get paid by companies to do extreme things such a hanggliding, bungee jumping and so forth. The army paratroopers and such also another example.

The point I am making is this- I love watching fights so I am bias. I love UFC and amature mma and they are very exciting to watch for me
... The same way some people call good entertaining and I call it boredom inducing. Differnt folks like different things. As long as they sign a piece of paper stating that they are aware of the risks, who are we to make it illegal?

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   

'So what' is the assertion that such sports have no place in martial arts. When in fact all styles have their own competition and all styles compete against each other.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

There have been competitions, full contact, for the ENTIRE history of martial arts.

It has always been a sport.

It depends on the type of art though. Not all martial arts are sports.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

All combat arts compete.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

'So what' is the assertion that such sports have no place in martial arts. When in fact all styles have their own competition and all styles compete against each other.
Did I say anything against competition?

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: SomeDumbBroad

There are guys who get paid by companies to do extreme things such a hanggliding, bungee jumping and so forth. The army paratroopers and such also another example.

Is the point of any of those activities to do physical damage to someone? Is the surest way to "win" to induce unconsciousness through head trauma in any of those activities?
edit on 4/24/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   

whether it's the point or is unavoidable...there is very little difference. Doing X-treme sports will 100 % get you beat up numerous times. Riding a skate board or going a few rounds...the danger is always there. The humanity will survive.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

whether it's the point or is unavoidable...there is very little difference.
A great difference. The point of blood sport is to hurt someone, to the delight of an audience.

I do not hang glide because I might get hurt.

edit on 4/24/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join