It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

River near fracking site bursts into flames

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Yes, you did in fact read that right.

A Queensland river near a fracking site exploded into flames after a coal seam gas (CSP) protester sparked a kitchen lighter above the water surface.

Buckingham claims the river, which is part of the Murray-Darling Basin, was made flammable due to leaking methane caused by coal seam gas mining

it held a huge flame for over an hour

The energy company instead says the gas seeps have natural causes, such as geological faults and water springs.
Source

This reminds me of all of those videos of people being able to light their tap water on fire after fracking operations were set up nearby. Did this river catch fire because of natural causes? Maybe, but I don't believe it for a second. If water near fracking sites keeps becoming flammable, then there's something going on.

edit on 4/23/2016 by trollz because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/23/2016 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
This is very disturbing. How much must go wrong before they realize the unintended consequences might not be worth it?
Blow the whole town up?

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

The nearest CSG well is 12kms away from the river.

Seems pretty far away to affect the river, but I guess it's plausible.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: trollz
Yes, you did in fact read that right.

A Queensland river near a fracking site exploded into flames after a coal seam gas (CSP) protester sparked a kitchen lighter above the water surface.

Buckingham claims the river, which is part of the Murray-Darling Basin, was made flammable due to leaking methane caused by coal seam gas mining

it held a huge flame for over an hour

The energy company instead says the gas seeps have natural causes, such as geological faults and water springs.
Source

This reminds me of all of those videos of people being able to light their tap water on fire after fracking operations were set up nearby. Did this river catch fire because of natural causes? Maybe, but I don't believe it for a second. If water near fracking sites keeps becoming flammable, then there's something going on.

Yust shows you, nobody does what they say on their tin!
I'll bet they have a nice glossy magazine showing how they care for the countryside and respect the biodiversity of the area...blah blah!

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Part of a Queensland river bubbling with methane gas has burst into flames after being ignited. Greens MP Jeremy Buckingham ignited the river and blames nearby coal seam gas (CSG) operations for the "tragedy in the Murray-Darling Basin".
www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Scepticism is always a healthy option when it comes to things like this.
Why do people so desperately believe every YouTube video they see, and every blog post they read, every "user submitted" story on a new site when they know that this could just all be bs?

I'm not saying everyone is lying, but you do know people make money from visits to their blogs and YouTube channels, right? You do know that almost anyone with basic knowledge could rig a tap to spew flammable liquid, right?
You do know that an anti-fracking group could have just dumped a can of lighter fluid into the water before hitting record, right?

For the record, I am against fracking, but I'm also against this mind-f**k of propaganda and money-making people so easily fall for without any actual EVIDENCE or INVESTIGATION being needed.
edit on 23-4-2016 by Rocker2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

It is genuine.

The methane bubbles have been known about since 2012.

But, having said that, the guy in the video is a greens MP.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
As an ex coal miner, I can tell you there is plenty of methane in coal seams. The equipment underground is even equipped with detectors that shut the machine off at 2%, to avoid explosions and fires, even though that amount is below the concentration that will cause ignition. I have no doubt if a seam is near or under that river, gas will bubble up through the water.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Yup.

Lol, it just came out of the ground. Near their plant or waste pit, whatever.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Methane seeping from the ground happens naturally. It is a well known phenomenon. Google it.

What annoys me is the tendency of people who don't want something (e.g. fracking, nuclear, wind, sheep) to propagate rubbish painted as fact.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

People can light snow on fire and it will turn black. Explain that one! Tons of videos of that were going around last year.

Messed up stuff they are doing to this world.
I dont think anyone is rigging their home tap to spew flammable liquid for the sake of a video. Cmon now.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

It is genuine.

The methane bubbles have been known about since 2012.

But, having said that, the guy in the video is a greens MP.

I have little doubt that pollution of the water happens in many places, it always has and it likely always will.
However, even though I am against fracking, there seems to be little evidence to support the belief. It could just as well be some local company emptying out waste tanks in the dead of night, or natural gasses making its way into the water supply.

Flammable gases already exist in the ground, they don't have to be added through pollution.

As for the giffs of the river erupting into flame, it seems pretty unlikely that this flammable water would only exist in one area in the middle of the water, doesn't it?

It seems far more likely to me that either his engine was leaking fuel and the moron ignited it, or it was a deliberate fraudulent attempt to make it look like something it wasn't after dumping flammable liquid.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype
People can light snow on fire and it will turn black. Explain that one! Tons of videos of that were going around last year.

I could probably make a video about the same thing.
And how exactly does snow fall to earth with flammable pollutants in it from fracking?
It seems to me that you (and those who presumably made those videos trying to suggest something happening which wasn't) don't understand the first thing about how snow actually gets to where it is.

Messed up stuff they are doing to this world.

By they you mean us, collectively.
Go and check out all the chemicals you have around the house and ask yourself how they got there, what you use them for, whether you actually need them or whether you just want an easier life.

It's easy to blame everyone else, but as a consumer of products you are part of the problem, as am I.

I dont think anyone is rigging their home tap to spew flammable liquid for the sake of a video. Cmon now.

Why not?
Why is this so hard to believe given that many hundreds of thousands of people make a regular living from publishing YouTube videos?
Pranks, for instance, have made plenty of people pretty rich in the last ten years.
Make a video, add it to a channel, make a couple of hundred $'s.
Why do you think this is less likely than taps actually spewing fire?

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

What annoys me is the tendency of people who don't want something (e.g. fracking, nuclear, wind, sheep) to propagate rubbish painted as fact.

And what annoys me is the propensity for corporations to kill people with their toxic waste and cover it up or place the blame on nature and not take responsibility.

environment.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

But that's not what is happening here, there is no cover up.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I used to work as a wireline technician (we blow holes into the casing and into the earth for the frack trucks to get into.) Blew my mind the first time I watched the whole process, I mean... how far we are willing to go and the things we are willing to do to the Earth to make a buck even though alternative fuel exists. Really glad I no longer work or participate in that sector.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Man, I am literally never one to cry out "shill", but I am smelling some damn oily shills in this thread right here. I don't understand how anyone, ANYONE, can defend fracking unless they're making money off of it.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Methane seeps are a natural phenomenon and people have reported methane in their water supplies and "flaming taps" long before fracking ever existed. The last time this came up there was even a video posted showing a town whose methane laced water supply was turned into a flaming fountain in a town square somewhere between the 50s and 70s, but for the life of me I can neither remember the name of the town or find the video.

While fracking may increase the prevalence of seeps in nearby areas, flaming well water has been around for hundreds of years and I sincerely doubt fracking is whats causing the methane seepage on the ocean floor.
edit on 4/23/2016 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra
Methane seeps are a natural phenomenon and people have reported methane in their water supplies and "flaming taps" long before fracking ever existed. The last time this came up there was even a video posted showing a town whose methane laced water supply was turned into a flaming fountain in a town square somewhere between the 50s and 70s, but for the life of me I can neither remember the name of the town or find the video.

While fracking may increase the prevalence of seeps in nearby areas, flaming well water has been around for hundreds of years and I sincerely doubt fracking is whats causing the methane seepage on the ocean floor.

How convenient you can't provide a source for this flaming methane town!

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper

originally posted by: eNumbra

How convenient you can't provide a source for this flaming methane town!

How convenient you can't be bothered to do a quick google search to find literally dozens of articles and studies that show case natural methane seeps have existed in this manner for as long as we've been drilling wells for water that show case the very evidence illustrating the concept behind a singular example that I simply can't find.

How awfully convenient, that interesting articles like the one I mentioned get buried under the myriad of copy-paste blog articles and reactionary fear driven bull#; how convenient too, that you would simply ignore everything else in the post but focus on the video I mention off-handedly as though it's the holy grail.

energyindepth.org...
1960's

news.google.com...,4617703&dq=methane+in+well+water&hl=en
1980's

www.google.com...
Numerous historic accounts from various towns including two aptly named "Burning Springs"

So unless we're traveling back in time to frack natural gas from the past; I'm done looking for the video.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join