It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A no kidding #1 threat to mankind's earth and civilization.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I am sure there are several threads with much detail about the Carrington event of 1859 however I elected to post this new video ... call it a refresher !

IMO it is a well done video on the 1859 Carrington event that melted just about everything electrical on the planet. From what I have read the skies all over planet Earth erupted in red, green, and purple auroras so brilliant that newspapers could be read as easily during the night as in normal daylight. Auroras pulsated even at tropical latitudes as far south as El Salvador which is right on down there to witness an aurora.

If this happened today I would bet that the population would be reduced by a rather large percentage in many countries just from starvation alone....

In 1859 there were plenty of food stuff producers and the society of humans went to their local farmer's co-opt in most cases (big cities not so much) to get something to eat (if they did not produce it themselves).. Our food stuffs were mostly produced and harvested by animal/human power. Will it happen again ? The problem as of today's world is (as most of you on ATS are aware) our magnetic poles are moving and the strength of Earth's magnetic field is weakening.

No doubt.

The when is the question.

Hopefully not in my lifetime. youtu.be...

edit on 727stk16 by 727Sky because: ...

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Most species on Earth and many human settlements do not rely on electricity. A modern-time Carrington event would be a game-changer, sure, but it would most certainly not bring extinction.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 05:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

Most species on Earth and many human settlements do not rely on electricity. A modern-time Carrington event would be a game-changer, sure, but it would most certainly not bring extinction.

"If this spirals out of control we could use a good chunk of northern Japan." - Michio Kaku

That is a quote concerning Fukushima Daiichi (source below). The extinction part of the equation comes in when you realize that without electricity, Fukushima Daiichi would spiral out of control and...

As of July 2015, 30 countries worldwide are operating 438 nuclear reactors for electricity generation and 67 new nuclear plants are under construction in 15 countries.
www.nei.org...

All of those nuclear reactors would spiral out of control in a matter of days without electricity. If you can't see the ELE there I don't know what to say.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 21-4-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

It would be the end of the world for many without their iPhone or Facebook..

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 05:25 AM
link   
While this may not be an extinction level event there would be a lot of death because of it... And it would be slow and painful most of it from starvation...
There would be most likely martial law in most civilized countries as rioting and looting ensued...
You would not be working you would have no access to the money in your bank you wouldn't be hearing about what's going on anywhere fast that's for sure... No more TV Internet radio newspapers forget driving anywhere etc...
One thing that I can say would happen for sure...
We would learn first hand what life was like in 1859...

No... on second thought I change my mind...
it would be worse than that...
much worse than that...
Imagine every home with electricity and every vehicle catching fire...
Near extinction level event...
and a return to the stone age...
Worse case scenario...
edit on 21-4-2016 by 5StarOracle because: Word

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Michio Kaku has strong tedencies to exaggeration and sensationalism. Besides, Japan is not the World.

edit on 21-4-2016 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 05:51 AM
link   
For those who take the time to watch the video a Carrington type event is just the tip of the iceberg as far as earth changes. Our atmosphere, Earth's protective magnetic field, the ozone layer, will all be affected in possible life changing ways.

It is true much of the world does not depend on electricity for their basic survival. But, if every mechanical transportation devise is disabled ...it still will be a problem for most places unless you are a hearty soul who likes to walk or bicycle while carrying your stuff. That is the case unless the ozone layer is not totally stripped away. All kinds of possibilities and the answers we have are not exactly complete IMO.

I did think the magnetic reversal part of the video was of interest. Maybe I did a thread on the field weakening a couple of years ago or someone else did that I took interest in ? Either way we are along for the ride so we might as well enjoy the scenery. youtu.be...

youtu.be...

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   
For an idea of what a widespread and prolonged outage of the power grid would hypothetically be like, read One Second After. It's premise is an EMP attack, but functionally the effects to a modern society of losing all electricity across a wide swath of the modern world would pretty much be about the same.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   
This is why self preservation should be taught in school instead of time wasting things like whats a pronoun and an adjective or gym class whiffle ball and BS Columbus discovered America crap.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Well said, and i like the new avatar, it was due

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Hell, the electrician shut the elec yesterday to install a light and it sucked!

This was in the middle of the day too! I was on ATS writing a post. lol.

An event like that would be horrible and world wide.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion
There is no question that it would be extremely ugly, and you have pointed out the ugliest part.
Extinction level event, maybe, but I doubt it. It would lead to the ultimate death of many millions, especially when you factor in the almost total lack of health care that would come with a modern day Carrington event.

Then there would be the genetic mutations.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
For an idea of what a widespread and prolonged outage of the power grid would hypothetically be like, read One Second After. It's premise is an EMP attack, but functionally the effects to a modern society of losing all electricity across a wide swath of the modern world would pretty much be about the same.

Should be one of those books kids MUST read in Jr High to pass. (and every other human on the planet)

Once you realize how accurate that scenario is, you can think about how to function and survive in an environment such as that.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy
Hell, the electrician shut the elec yesterday to install a light and it sucked!

This was in the middle of the day too! I was on ATS writing a post. lol.

An event like that would be horrible and world wide.

You just experienced a tiny bit of what it would be like.
Not so long ago a vehicle with a diesel engine would have been immune to the effects of a Carrington Event. Today's diesel engines have a whole lot of controls that allow them to function. These controls would be fried if we get a real solar blast.
Just about every product that we use or consume comes to us via trucks or trains that have diesel engines.
Think no food and a extreme lack of potable water happening very quickly.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   

I'm not worried, FEMA will take good care of me.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

I'm not worried, FEMA will take good care of me.

I am picturing that giant rock falling from above.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Think no food and a extreme lack of potable water happening very quickly.

Which is why I refer to my neighbors as Mr. and Mrs. Sandwich and the Appetizer Kids.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   
This very well could be the case. I think a lot of someone's survival will be based simply on where they live. Smaller communities seem to fair better in bad situations than people in bigger cities. But no doubt everyone would suffer in some form. I don't think it is a coincidence that we have all these TV shows on the History channel depicting disasters, aliens, etc. I urge anyone who is able, to stock up on essential necessities and learn to grow a garden.

iTruthSeeker

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I would just Google "how to survive an EMP".

Easy!

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Not so long ago a vehicle with a diesel engine would have been immune to the effects of a Carrington Event. Today's diesel engines have a whole lot of controls that allow them to function. These controls would be fried if we get a real solar blast.

No. A geomagnetic storm is not an EMP.

When a CME causes a geomagnetic storm it produces fluctuations in the Earth's magnetic field. These fluctuations can induce low frequency currents in long conductors (powerlines, pipelines, fences). In the power grid, these low frequency currents (essentially DC) do no play well with the AC transformers. That's where the problem lies. Your vehicle and other electronics are unaffected. Unless they are plugged in at the time.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 4/21/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join