It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Press watchdog group says world risks entering ‘new era of propaganda’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

World press freedom deteriorated in 2015, especially in the Americas, advocacy group Reporters Without Borders said today as it released its annual rankings, warning of “a new era of propaganda”. The World Press Freedom Index ranks 180 countries on indicators such as media independence, self-censorship, the rule of law, transparency and abuses.

"Entering" New's dissemination has always been tainted with agenda and outright BS.

I don't think we need anyone to tell us that media is propaganda. And with the advent of technology, access to the www. it's only going to increase.

“Today, it is increasingly easy for powers to appeal directly to the public through new technologies, and so there is a greater degree of violence against those who represent independent information,” he added. “We are entering a new era of propaganda where new technologies allow the low-cost dissemination of their own communication, their information, as dictated.

I work in media for a group that is masterful at propaganda and spin; the Republican Party of my state. It's about the money....

If you aren't a total skeptic and cynic; you simply aren't paying attention.

www.rawstory.com...

edit on 20-4-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Propaganda is ripe over here in the UK at the moment, IMO anyways.

The whole BREXIT thing is a perfect playground for it, for obvious reasons

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

a day (decade) late and a dollar short - DUH!!!!

Olaru, thanks for sharing this thread. Like you said, if people didn't know this already they have other issues...

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Press freedom is fleeting. These days (at least from my perspective) people don't seem to fight censorship like they did just 20 years ago. We are knee deep in 1984 style media/press/propaganda and it keeps getting weirder and weirder.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: saintdopeium
Press freedom is fleeting. These days (at least from my perspective) people don't seem to fight censorship like they did just 20 years ago. We are knee deep in 1984 style media/press/propaganda and it keeps getting weirder and weirder.

And the weirdest part of it is how much power the media has to affect the countries culture, government and social discourse.

I was with 2 friends at a bar and between us we had 5 smart phones, 2 tablets and 1 laptop; all tools of the media.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Hmmm....

originally posted by: olaru12
I don't think we need anyone to tell us that media is propaganda.

Yet you found the need, desire and motivation to do that very thing.

If you aren't a total skeptic and cynic; you simply aren't paying attention.

Well, I pay attention and am skeptical, yet I'm not cynical.

I'm hopeful.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: paradoxious
Hmmm....

originally posted by: olaru12
I don't think we need anyone to tell us that media is propaganda.

Yet you found the need, desire and motivation to do that very thing.

Yes I did, and if you had of bothered to read the rest of the members posts you would have seen that other ideas are in the mix. Why don't you comment on that rather than snarky one liners?

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
It took them a while, but at least they seem to have been observing to their limited range.
I guess when they focus on the last couple of years, it's because there were so many hoax news reports, and staged events, so corny that even the most incredulous of people knew there was something terribly wrong.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Late to the party, I guess.

First answer you get for mentioning the propaganda ingredient, whilst sorting out facts from BS during a simple debate amongst friends:

"But... but... but ... I don't have the time to dig it all by myself after long and hard days between the slave shifts!"

Yeah. Right. Now back to Big Brother...

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Big Brother sends his regards.

Oh wait...you mean that OTHER Big Brother.
Don't know him never heard of him wasn't here and I never said a thing.
Ignore this transmission.
*over and out*

edit on 4/20/16 by GENERAL EYES because: they let me out of the dayroom again....sorry...oh look, cookies!

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

Take the bigger one if ya like, and thanks for the big smile you just placed in my babyface.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

You're more than welcome.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Fox says MSNBC is propaganda.

(runs and hides to see the frothing ensue)

Actually the perception of truth is all that is important nowadays. Tweeting about the hungry is seen as better than feeding the hungry.
or
If Fox/CNN/MSNBC says something, then that makes it real.

Bottom line? Everything is propaganda. Trust no one, trust nothing.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   

I turned off my mainstream News over a decade ago.

All the News channels are all propaganda. The truth is the enemy.

The fact is, our government and the world corporation who controls the networks uses the media to hide their corruptions.

The truth is getting harder to find these days even on the internet.

The Globalist want the world dumb down and ignorant to their evil money making scams. That's right, money making scams. Just take a look at the worlds biggest drug companies, they alone own our Congress.

Almost everything has become corrupt by "money".

Eventually the American people will wake up one day and when they do, I sure wouldn't want to be a politician, or a Banker when the tar and feathers come out.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Freedom of the press is a pillar of a free society. Unfortunately, the main stream press in the western world is now bought and paid for by powerful people with agendas that are generally opposite of what the average person wants. These are the same folks who hold say over our bought and paid for politicians.

The press, in all it's forms is owned by a very small group of companies/individuals. Here is a great little tool developed by the Columbia Journalism Review that shows just how concentrated our media has become. I know that it shows both American and International companies and there holdings. For example, here is what CBS owns...

www.cjr.org...

You can play with the drop down menu to see who owns what.

There has been many very poignant quotes over the centuries with regards to what a free media means to a people and what dangers are evident in smaller and smaller concentration of media. Here are a couple of my favourites...

What I'm thinking about more and more these days is simply the importance of transparency, and Jefferson's saying that he'd rather have a free press without a government than a government without a free press. Esther Dyson

www.brainyquote.com...

“A free press can, of course, be good or bad, but, most certainly without freedom, the press will never be anything but bad.”
― Albert Camus

www.brainyquote.com...

“Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.”

— Thomas Jefferson

www.saturdayeveningpost.com...

The greatest minds of the last several centuries agree that a free press is essential to a free society.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: GAOTU789

The way I see it, the press used to be "non-for-profit". Reporting the news what something to strive for.

Now? Press is a for-profit venture. They have market shares, opinion groups, advertising.

The thread's OP should be able to explain it better than I.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: GAOTU789

Great point. And given Merkels recent kneefall to Shah Erdogan I'd like to add that said free press is an endangared species. Just check the latest thread for details on the Böhmermann-issue from Dumbass, which is a hilariously sticky username btw...

Truth always has -and always will be- targeted from various sway-intended spin-docs. Never let 'em get off the meat and on to you, or any other distraction, during the wild hunt.

It's on!

Sincerely yours
PubOps, enemy nr. 1 for various PsyOps

edit on 20-4-2016 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

You nailed it....

Now? Press is a for-profit venture. They have market shares, opinion groups, advertising.

and demographic targeted agendas...

Yeah, it's called capitalism and free enterprise.

Another case of reaping what you sow.

Ayn Rand styled corpratism gone horror show....

www.aynrand.org...

Trump has my admiration for playing this game like a boss. It might pay off if he doesn't have a stroke or coronary.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Hey!!!

Don't you know those are the best intel sheets for the MIB??

Pfft...

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Terminal1

I see nothing.
I know nothing.
I was not here.

new topics

top topics

join