It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tax day, did you pay your fair share?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Does anyone feel like they haven't paid their fair share of taxes?

You ever notice, when politicians/protesters/so one talk about a 'fair share' they never give an amount? It's an easy answer, there isn't an amount. It political rhetoric to get people fired up. You can be sure if a democrat gets in your 'fair share' will only increase...

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: thinline

I know a certain Senator from Vermont only paid an effective rate of 13.5% on $200,000. I should have used whatever method he used to get my rate lower.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Go golfing more as a business expense! You only have to talk business on one hole for all 18 to qualify.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Uh, how would that lower my effective rate?

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   
This year I get to stop paying utility bills for 3 months to receive a shut off notice, thus exempting me from the stupid tax 'penalty' for next year.

I have been debating on not doing this, that way I can pay all in pennies that I individually ate and passed out my bowels. It will be painful, but the ends would be so satisfying.... $700 dollars worth of stinking pennies...

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   

I don't even agree with the phrase 'fair share'. A fair share would be we all pay the same amount. I paid my 'unfair share'.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Write-offs?

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

I am pretty sure he was not writing off golf rounds.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   
"Fair" share means you think those who make more than you ought to pay more and those who make the same as you ought to pay less. "Fair share" for corporations means they should pay a whopping amount to the government so that later on you can pay for higher-cost products, since all corporations do is pass their tax costs on to the consumer by charging higher prices.

Corporations don't pay takes; you do. All of them.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
"Fair share" for corporations means they should pay a whopping amount to the government so that later on you can pay for higher-cost products, since all corporations do is pass their tax costs on to the consumer by charging higher prices.

Corporations don't pay takes; you do. All of them.

I did a thread on this awhile back and I was surprised at how many people did not understand the pass through aspect of corporate taxes.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

My take of "fair share" is that we pay based on how much you can pay.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I know a certain Senator from Vermont only paid an effective rate of 13.5% on $200,000.

I just did a bit of looking, and that isn't correct. Bernie and Jane combined only had a taxable income of $140,000. According to the 2015 tax code you take $140,000 x .25 and subtract an additional $8,412, leaving a rounded 26,588 owed in taxes. He actually paid more than that and got a refund.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I made less than half that, and paid about that- off the top. Then they took more as it went back out.

grabgrabgrabgrabgrab!

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Their AGI was was $205,271. Their TAXABLE income was $140,994. Of that taxable income their tax due was $26,961. Their federal withholdings were $31,825. They received a refund of $4,172.

Instead of reading an article about it and agreeing with it how about checking the direct sources aka here and here

The WSJ can say all they want about it, but they cannot refute my sources.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I'd say 45% of the American public didn't pay their fair share.

45% of Americans don't pay federal income taxes...

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I paid my income tax. Then have to pay umpteen hundreds in more taxes with money that's already been taxed to begin with. Yeah, we all pay more than our "fair share".
edit on 4/18/2016 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I sent the state of Indiana and the Feds each a large checks on Friday.
I'm not sure fair would be the word that best suits my feelings.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Elections should be held day after tax day, April 16th.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: markjohn
a reply to: Metallicus

My take of "fair share" is that we pay based on how much you can pay.

Everyone wants to be equal until it comes time to pay taxes then everyone wants me to pay my 'fair share' while they pay next to nothing. My fair share is zero for Federal. I don't mind paying state and local taxes that much because as far as I know the state of Ohio doesn't kill anyone with my tax dollars.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join