It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bankrupt Illinois Is Out Of Money, Legislators’ Paychecks Delayed

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I know this it's complicated but I'll try to break it down.

Spend less.

Spend less. Either that or go full communist and just take 100% of income.

Either/or.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Spend less.

Either/or.

The problem is everyone thinks their little pet project, community center, or whatever is too important. You cut spending for some university researching snail sex, you will get protesters claiming it is going to set mankind back 50 years.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Cry me a river.

Government should focus on getting Amtrak to not derail, deliver the mail, and fighting wars.

everything else is superfluous.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
a reply to: xuenchen

DaaaHaHaHa

Hilarious.

Maybe a few people will starve to death, then we can have a real hearty chuckle about it.

No, They will continue migrating to the South and West (as they have been doing for years) where it is a bit better. Then , they will start voting for the same type failures in the political system and policies. Cities in Florida are already becoming twins of Chicago , Detroit . Boulder Colorado could be renamed New Chicago. Atlanta is becoming New Detroit.After they bring down these states they will move to another State. Wash , rinse , repeat.

Like a virus colony migrating to a new area until all nutrients are used up
Todays America has a terminal virus. And modern medicine has no cure for it, and can only mask the symptoms by raising taxes. (Today's politicians).

Cutting spending to starve the virus could help, but that would only feed their fever for entitlements and raising taxes? Gets confusing, but they like it that way. (LOL)
edit on 18-4-2016 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

It doesn't matter who is in charge.

If you spend more than you earn, then do the math!

This isn't partisan.

It's math for Odin's sake!

Financial irresponsibility happens on both sides, it even seems to happen when both sides are mixed into the group. Super majorities don't help matters though. If spending more than you earn was the problem, they could always increase the tax rates provided they're not already on the right of the Laffer curve assuming they couldn't come to a consensus on budget cuts.

The real problem, is that purchasing power has been declining for going on 40 years now and real incomes have been declining for 15. Governments need purchasing power too, it lets tax money be spent more efficiently. With low purchasing power comes a lack of ability to provide needed services. Tax rates are taking more money, and they're getting less in return due to our screwed up financial system. It goes well beyond the responsibility of any particular state, they're just left trying to make the best of a bad situation.

You've contradicted yourself in almost every post.

However, The state of TX has over 27 million people and they're prospering. Illinois has 12.5 million. Their crime rate is through the roof. They're not trying to make the best of bad situation. They ARE the heart of the bad situation. Chicago is a cancer in that state and the cause of the demise of the financial situation. They need a reset in a big way. But as other posters have said, the people keep electing the crooked so crooked they will get. The elected crooked appoint and hire lower class crooks. It's crooked Chicago. People are leaving.

Illinois leads nation in population decline | NIU Newsroom
newsroom.niu.edu/2015/03/.../illinois-leads-nation-in-population-decline...
Mar 30, 2015 - Illinois easily had the largest numerical population decline

edit on 19-4-2016 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 02:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

What in bloody blue blazes are you guys talking about?????

This is what happens in states like California, Illinois and other 'liberal utopias'. Their ideas sounds great on paper, but make no financial sense.

Illinois is not, but any stretch of the imagination, a 'liberal utopia. Governor Bruce Rauner is a 'Slash and Burn' Tea Party Republican under the direct control of the Koch Brothers, just like Sam Brownback in Kansas.

Illinois is NOT out of money, but it is out of the authority to spend money because the Governor will not sign the budget bills passed by the State Legislature that is adamantly opposed to Rauner flushing Illinois down the toilet like Brownback has done to Kansas.

Meanwhile, the only budgetary problem California has is how to spend its surplus.

You guys would be hilarious if this didn't have such enormous consequences for so many people.

Get your nose out of the bucket of feces your favorite echo chamber has been feeding you and do some actual personal research.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 03:04 AM
link   
a reply to: jkm1864

Dumb ass liberals. The solution to their problem is to CUT SPENDING

Yeah, like that really worked well in Kansas.

Meanwhile in California... what say you?

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

You'd better check your calendar Dude, because Bruce Rauner has been Governor of Illinois since January of 2015 and he is as Tea Party Republican as you can get.

Illinois has 1 Democratic Senator and 1 Republican Senator.
The Illinois delegation to the US House of Representatives leans Democratic: 10 to 8.
The Illinois legislature is indeed heavily Democratic.

There are many states that are more Democratic than Illinois including California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawai'i, Maryland, New York, and more.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 03:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

DaaaHaHaHa

Hilarious.

Maybe a few people will starve to death, then we can have a real hearty chuckle about it.

Oh mother of hyperbole! If there are starving people I hope you're one of the first in line to help out.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Maybe I'm out of line speaking out as I'm a Brit, but the facts are there for all to see.

Blame bipartisan politics all you like, they most likely started it all in the first place, but the US ideology of a state going bust seems to send ccolaid through your veins, because the elephant in the room is getting bigger.

Look at the bigger picture, the entire country is bust, and has been for a while now.

Perhaps if IL could raise its debt ceiling, then everything will be fine again?

IMHO it all boils down to tackling the debt problem, and your corrupt leaders will not do that, so you are at the mercy of the fed.

Remember when the banksters called in all the penny loans and it created the first great depression?

That is the power they have to wield over your politicians now, so they do as they're told like good little sock puppets, and the problem gets worse.

I know most of you are fully aware of this, and I'm not trying to bash the US, we are also up to our eyeballs in brown stuff.

i just gets my goat when folk bash a state, and the entire country has been bust for years.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux
You've contradicted yourself in almost every post.

How so?

However, The state of TX has over 27 million people and they're prospering.

Prosperity has nothing to do with population, the wealthiest country in Europe (not counting the Vatican) has a population of just under 37,000 people.

The main reason for Texas's prosperity, is that it's the biggest welfare state in the country returning a mere 50 cents for every dollar spent on it, and it's having it's low tax rates subsidized by the rest of the country through federal aid.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Watchfull

The problem is human one, created fear by putting numbers on paper. Every state, the feds, have cash flow on a daily basis to pay all the bills. If we are that broke, why is everyone still getting a paycheck that works for the government? See, we can print money when we have to. I have concluded that americans like to suffer. Maybe its that Jesus thing.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Spend less.

Either/or.

I kind of wish We would go full communist for a few years. I'm tired of listening to the left bitch about the rich not paying enough in taxes while they sit on their butts. In a communist country My life won't change much other than having to work less but a democrats life will change dramatically because then they will have to work for the commune. I think after being forced to work and still having to deal with shortages and poverty might make these dumbasses wake up to reality but then again they are idiots so probably not.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: rnaa
a reply to: Metallicus

What in bloody blue blazes are you guys talking about?????

This is what happens in states like California, Illinois and other 'liberal utopias'. Their ideas sounds great on paper, but make no financial sense.

Illinois is not, but any stretch of the imagination, a 'liberal utopia. Governor Bruce Rauner is a 'Slash and Burn' Tea Party Republican under the direct control of the Koch Brothers, just like Sam Brownback in Kansas.

Illinois is NOT out of money, but it is out of the authority to spend money because the Governor will not sign the budget bills passed by the State Legislature that is adamantly opposed to Rauner flushing Illinois down the toilet like Brownback has done to Kansas.

Meanwhile, the only budgetary problem California has is how to spend its surplus.

You guys would be hilarious if this didn't have such enormous consequences for so many people.

Get your nose out of the bucket of feces your favorite echo chamber has been feeding you and do some actual personal research.

Yeah California is doing so great! You do realize that people are fleeing California due to the tax burden?

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
You knew it was only a matter of time. Last I heard, Illinois had jacked up their state taxes a huge amount just so they could hope to cover the hole needed to allow them to borrow enough to cover their budget.

What kind of fiscal sense is that?! Hike taxes a huge percentage, not to operate a balanced budget, but so you can borrow enough to maybe make ends meet.

That's true, I've lived Illinois for 5 years now and all I'll say is my taxes are 6,000 + a year. I would advise anyone and evreyone to to never move to this wasteland.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe
Let's talk about Kansas, and that is about as far from a liberal stronghold as possible.

Oh don't spoil the party for these ignorant political ranters! Everything is simple to their simple little minds - Liberal bad, Conservative good (just don't tell them about those prison populations in their Conservatives states, the lack of education, the massive teen pregnancy rates, the poverty, the racism, the homophobia, the corruption, the...)

No, all that stuff only ever happens to those commie liberals!

LOL

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

originally posted by: BubbaJoe
Let's talk about Kansas, and that is about as far from a liberal stronghold as possible.

Oh don't spoil the party for these ignorant political ranters! Everything is simple to their simple little minds - Liberal bad, Conservative good (just don't tell them about those prison populations in their Conservatives states, the lack of education, the massive teen pregnancy rates, the poverty, the racism, the homophobia, the corruption, the...)

No, all that stuff only ever happens to those commie liberals!

LOL

Really now, I think your just describing people in general here, you can find racists, and homophobes in all sides of the political spectrum, and where ever there is corruption (EVERYWHERE), you have poverty as well.

Teen pregnancy rates, that is nothing new, unless you segregate your schools based upon gender.

Lack of education has been on-going across the board in all states for decades too, because the Federal dept of Education is the one setting the bar there, America as a hole is going down the toilet on education across the board, so try again.

Prison populations, most of those, again, are in FEDERAL prison..

How about rampent crime rates?
What about pork-barrel projects that amount to squat?
What about money dissappearing from state coffers?

As above, so below.. Is how the saying goes, corruption runs from the top down, and from the bottom up.

Both sides, have their heads up their butts, but the ones going down the tubes first, are the democratic-controlled states/cities. Honestly, tho, we're all headed there, some slower, but most assuredly, will end up there.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cygnis
Really now, I think your just describing people in general here, you can find racists, and homophobes in all sides of the political spectrum, and where ever there is corruption (EVERYWHERE), you have poverty as well.

That was kind of my point, but go back through this thread and you'll see the usual characters jumping on the knee-jerk political cheer leading bandwagon. This is what most threads here turn into these days, too many Americans can't understand the complexities of issues so they scream that it's "Conservatives this!" and "Liberals that!"

I usually just meet fire with fire, they don't like having their hypocrisy thrown back in their faces.

There are a thousand and one different aspects to what causes these things, but while some here want to instantly claim that it's "liberal policies destroying the nation", others actually understand complexities, and that these things happen over decades, not single terms.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

It is the actions of a few, at one point who make things hard for the many tho.

One bill passed, that doesn't take effect until a later date can make or break a city, state, or country.

It takes many small cuts to bleed something dry, the bigger the creature, the more cute you have to make. This is true of a country too.

This is what few understand, as well. It's myopic to view one side of a coin as the problem, when the other side is still part of the same coin.

Bills come online at different times, and a bad bill that hurts the people coming online at a certain point under a different administration, seldom gets pinned on the proper creating administration.

People do love to divide and conquer tho. Assign labels, and compartmentalize groups into smaller groups. We are all as much to blame, as the bad guys..

"Evil wins, when good does nothing"..

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

She'll be out of a job in a few hours.

Those crooks aren't going to stand for that sort of thing.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join