It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Ram problem

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I've noticed recently that browsing ATS is gobbling up a lot of my system RAM and wondered if anyone else is having the same issue. My normal usage while browsing any other site is around 2.2gb, while on ATS my usage steadily increases up to around 9gb, at which point I get a notification stating that Shockwave Plugin has crashed and the RAM drops back down to the 2.2gb mark again. This normally takes around 5 minutes of being on the site.

Also, the site seems to push my CPU into turbo mode too, it normally idles whilst using any other site.

This seems to have started since I had to add the site to my ad-blockers whitelist, I don't remember having this trouble before that.

Anyone have any idea's or suggestions? This is the only site that seems to be affected by this issue, is it something to do with the advertisements on screen?

My specs for reference:

i7 4930k
16gb DDR3 Ram @2133mhz
Asus 980ti Strix GPU
Windows 10 Pro
Google Chrome
edit on 18/4/2016 by longy9999 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Reason i have to surf this site on my server computer with 96 gigs of ram. Cant use my normal desktop pc or my laptop which only have 8 gigs of ram without it using harddrive as ram and slowing down my computers. on them i have no choice but to block adds so i can even be on this site.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: longy9999

I get a notification stating that Shockwave Plugin has crashed and the RAM drops back down to the 2.2gb mark again.

Make sure all your plugins are up to date. Also, check the "last updated" dates of your plugins before you update. If they are recent, you may have to back peddle to the last version if you're all of a sudden noticing a problem.

Try turning them all off, restart chrome and see if the same thing occurs. That will narrow it down to the browser plugins at least.

Chrome is already a memory hog. Try using chrome beta for PC (it works a hell of a lot better on my android devices than the original). Or try another browser like Chromium, Palemoon, Waterfox or Cyberfox. The last three browser are streamlined and debloated, especially for 64-bit PCs.

edit on 18-4-2016 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamfox1
Reason i have to surf this site on my server computer with 96 gigs of ram. Cant use my normal desktop pc or my laptop which only have 8 gigs of ram without it using harddrive as ram and slowing down my computers. on them i have no choice but to block adds so i can even be on this site.

It does seem to be since disabling ad-block, I too was left with no choice but to turn it off to use the site, I've got adverts all along the top and all down the right hand of the screen which made me wonder if they are the issue here.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: longy9999
I've noticed recently that browsing ATS is gobbling up a lot of my system RAM and wondered if anyone else is having the same issue. My normal usage while browsing any other site is around 2.2gb, while on ATS my usage steadily increases up to around 9gb, at which point I get a notification stating that Shockwave Plugin has crashed and the RAM drops back down to the 2.2gb mark again. This normally takes around 5 minutes of being on the site.

Also, the site seems to push my CPU into turbo mode too, it normally idles whilst using any other site.

This seems to have started since I had to add the site to my ad-blockers whitelist, I don't remember having this trouble before that.

Anyone have any idea's or suggestions? This is the only site that seems to be affected by this issue, is it something to do with the advertisements on screen?

My specs for reference:

i7 4930k
16gb DDR3 Ram
Asus 980ti Strix GPU
Windows 10 Pro
Google Chrome

I have the same problem for a long time even though I don't have any ad-blocker in use, as I don't see any ads except the home page here.
My AVG will tell me that it is Opera that is using up everything.
Have a look at what is loading on the bottom bar apart from the ATS page itself, I know I see a considerable amount other than ATS stuff, Google nosy being 'one' of them.
I should add, ATS has an aversion to people blocking ads, you should maybe take that part of it up with them at the boards Q&A.

edit on 18-4-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

I get a notification stating that Shockwave Plugin has crashed and the RAM drops back down to the 2.2gb mark again.

Make sure all your plugins are up to date. Also, check the "last updated" dates before you update. If they are recent, you may have to back peddle to the last version if you are all of a sudden noticing a problem.

Try turning them all off, restart chrome and see if the same thing occurs. That will narrow it down to the browser plugins at least.

Start small.

Sorry for the double post, I have no idea how to multi-quote.

I've tried disabling the shockwave plugin and restarting chrome but the issue is still there, the ram usage still creeps up to over 8gb. 'll try and see if I can roll back chromes version to an earlier edition but I have a sneaking feeling its all the adverts thats causing the problem

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
An i7 with 16 gigs of ram should plow through it. Its either your internet speed or a virus after ruling all the above out. Make sure your pagefile min/max are the same number so your PC doesn't scale and gives it all up front. You probably don't even need a pagefile with that much ram though.

Use autoruns from Microsoft and see if there is a problem there.

technet.microsoft.com...

The guy below me knows whats up.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Turn off hardware acceleration.

Settings> show advanced settings> almost to the bottom.

You can also uncheck "continue running background apps".

edit on 4/18/2016 by Klassified because: add

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Strange that you only get adverts on the home screen, on mine I get a large one across the top and then several down the right hand side of the page, when not logged in I get ads inbetween posts on threads too.

I've gone through my processes and found 7 instances of chrome running totaling less than 300mb of ram usage, the largest one taking up around 130mb, there's nothing else in there thats taking up more than 40mb.

Strangely though since disabling and re-enabling the shockwave plugin my ram usage is sitting at 2.9gb and hasn't budged in the last 10 minutes

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Dodgy driver version of anything can lead to a failure higher up and 96gb of ram to browse here? flipping heck it does run fine here when you disable a lot of the ads and thats on an old core2duo with 1gb ram at my mums.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
An i7 with 16 gigs of ram should plow through it. Its either your internet speed or a virus after ruling all the above out. Make sure your pagefile min/max are the same number so your PC doesn't scale and gives it all up front. You probably don't even need a pagefile with that much ram though.

Use autoruns from Microsoft and see if there is a problem there.

technet.microsoft.com...

I don't have an issue with any other site or program when it comes to my ram, its a fairly hefty rig and doesn't struggle anywhere else. Internet wise I'm on a 200mb connection which is checking back fine and I don't seem to have any virus's or malware that I can see. The pagefiles are all set correctly too.

I've tried disabling hardware acceleration as per Klassifieds post but its still staying the same. I'll check out your link and see what it says.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
Dodgy driver version of anything can lead to a failure higher up and 96gb of ram to browse here? flipping heck it does run fine here when you disable a lot of the ads and thats on an old core2duo with 1gb ram at my mums.

How are you disabling some of the ads? I use ad-block and ad-block plus but setting them to anything other than completely whitelisted stops me from being able to use the site. I reckon just getting rid of some of them would be a help.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
firefox and no script with a bit of allowing.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
firefox and no script with a bit of allowing.

It's been a long time since I used firefox but I'll install it and see how I get on with it, will at least help to see if the issue is just related to chrome or not.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   

I've tried disabling hardware acceleration as per Klassifieds post but its still staying the same. I'll check out your link and see what it says.

Did you open and close Chrome after disabling HA? I'm sure you did, but just checking. Might not be a bad idea to run "temp file cleaner" by oldtimer, and ccleaner set to also clean out the prefetch. You may have a .tmp file doing double duty. Just a thought. Also, try uninstalling Flash and restarting. Java too, if applicable. Just some random thoughts. Neither my Chrome or FF are using much Ram at all.
edit on 4/18/2016 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   

ok,

a few questions:

does it only happen on ATS?
Do you need shockwave flash player? (Chrome has a built in flash player)
has this started happening recently?

it does appear to be a known issue with Shockwave flash player and Chrome:
productforums.google.com...#!msg/chrome/1SldkjmC-UM/JlfG 2G7uAgAJ

Try un-installing it, and coming back here

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

Did you open and close Chrome after disabling HA? I'm sure you did, but just checking. Might not be a bad idea to run "temp file cleaner" by oldtimer, and ccleaner set to also clean out the prefetch. You may have a .tmp file doing double duty. Just a thought. Also, try uninstalling Flash and restarting. Java too, if applicable. Just some random thoughts. Neither my Chrome or FF are using much Ram at all.

Yeah I restarted chrome afterwards, I've run ccleaner too, I usually run it every day once I'm done with the PC to clear any junk out.

Can you uninstall flash from chrome? I thought it was built into the program and not a separate entity like on firefox, I've had a look through my app and program lists but can't find it listed anywhere.

No java either, never had any use for it so far, I remember reading its full of security holes so have avoided it

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phatdamage

ok,

a few questions:

does it only happen on ATS?
Do you need shockwave flash player? (Chrome has a built in flash player)
has this started happening recently?

it does appear to be a known issue with Shockwave flash player and Chrome:
productforums.google.com...#!msg/chrome/1SldkjmC-UM/JlfG 2G7uAgAJ

Try un-installing it, and coming back here

Yes, it only seems to be on here the issue happens, I haven't been active much recently and when I came to the site a couple of weeks ago it forced me to whitelist it in my ad-blockers, seems to be since then.

I've only just realised since you and Klassified have mentioned shockwave that it shouldn't even be in my system, it never occurred to me that shockwave isn't the built in flash player in chrome. The error notification definitely stated that the shockwave plugin had crashed but I can't find any trace of it in my system, making me wonder if there's a virus in my computer that my system isn't picking up. I remember several years ago uninstalling firefox as having that and chrome together was causing issues between the two flash versions

EDIT: After doing a system search for 'shockwave' its showing me several files for a game I have on steam called 'the binding of isaac afterbirth', if I remember rightly this game was originally a flash game, perhaps this is the culprit instead.
edit on 18/4/2016 by longy9999 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: longy9999

originally posted by: Klassified

Yeah I restarted chrome afterwards, I've run ccleaner too, I usually run it every day once I'm done with the PC to clear any junk out.

Can you uninstall flash from chrome? I thought it was built into the program and not a separate entity like on firefox, I've had a look through my app and program lists but can't find it listed anywhere.

No java either, never had any use for it so far, I remember reading its full of security holes so have avoided it

No. it's integrated. I was talking about the separate flash npapi. Which you may not have on your machine.

Try this. Open Chrome, and press Shift and Esc simultaneously. This should bring up Chrome's task manager, letting you see what's running, and shut down what you don't want.

ETA: Also consider running ADWCleaner. It will check Chrome(among others) for malware/adware, etc. I use this program daily in my work, so it's a good and safe program.
edit on 4/18/2016 by Klassified because: eta

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Add winapp2.ini to CCleaner by going to this link,

www.winapp2.com...

Save the page as a text document and make sure the exact filename is saved as "winapp2.ini."

Either save it into CCleaner's main installation folder or onto your desktop and move it after you verify that it converted correctly. It'll have a gear as an .ini file should if saved correctly. I will never use CCleaner again without it!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join