It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Houston we have a problem, major flooding in Houston ...2016 flooding

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   

edit on 4/18/2016 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Channel 11 just reported no fatalities known at this time.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Just reported a body found in car but cannot confirm it is flood related

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TXTriker

They are reporting 2 fatalities now on fox 26

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Didn't you guys get some bad flooding down there about a year or so ago? This sounds like it's worse. Stay safe.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: buellmph

Yep

Authorities found a man's body in a submerged 18-wheeler on the West Hardy service road at North Sam Houston Rescuers are unable to reach the man to remove his body from the truck at this time. Officials are unsure if the man drowned. They say crews monitoring the road due to high water saw the man drive directly into the water. There is a possibility that he suffered a medical issue before entering the flood waters. Another victim died earlier today near an apartment complex in the 17400 block of Imperial Valley. Again, the cause of death is unknown.

Man found dead in submerged 18-wheeler in north Houston

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Too bad modern man has caused so much toxic waste and water diversions. I have come to a personal conclusion that flooding like this has happened for millions of years to refill the aquifers throughout the planet. Because of our habitats, chemicals, fracking etc, if any water were to get to it's destination, it would probably be poison. The earths filter system can only do so much. And if I'm wrong, I'm still right. No one can harvest that flooding water because of it's toxicity. What a shame. All that water and not a drop of it drinkable.

Oh, read this yesterday, 3 million out of the 6 million population of Chile without drinking water:

Three million people in the Chilean capital were without drinking water on Saturday after heavy rain caused landslides that fouled the rivers supplying the city, officials said.

The national emergency response agency declared a red alert in Santiago, a city of more than seven million people.

"Unfortunately the weather system over the metropolitan region brought rain that caused increased sediment in the Maipo River, which means a water cut for the population affecting about three million people," Santiago Mayor Claudio Orrego told a news conference.

Read more at: phys.org...

There's some flooding going on all around the earth.
edit on 18-4-2016 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech

originally posted by: buellmph

Yep

Authorities found a man's body in a submerged 18-wheeler on the West Hardy service road at North Sam Houston Rescuers are unable to reach the man to remove his body from the truck at this time. Officials are unsure if the man drowned. They say crews monitoring the road due to high water saw the man drive directly into the water. There is a possibility that he suffered a medical issue before entering the flood waters. Another victim died earlier today near an apartment complex in the 17400 block of Imperial Valley. Again, the cause of death is unknown.

Man found dead in submerged 18-wheeler in north Houston

Just saw there is possibly a 3rd. Been working from home today so was away for a while.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Didn't you guys get some bad flooding down there about a year or so ago? This sounds like it's worse. Stay safe.

Yes last October and last Memorial Day.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Just got out and drove around our area a little - very little. The road I use to get to IH10 still has sections underwater. There is a, normally, small creek that runs behind our neighborhood. It is at least a half mile wide now. We drove farther down where it crosses the road in a couple of other places. In one place you couldn't even see the far edge. At the other, 18 wheelers were refusing to try and cross. Quarter mile wide there and really rolling.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   
June 2001 was the big one in Houston. Really bad.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   
www.facebook.com...

This is a video a friend took 3 hours ago. Hope it works! Went about an hour ago and the same stretch of road is still underwater.

edit on 4/18/2016 by TXTriker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

Tropical Storm Allison - over 30 inches of rain but localized to the east side of town. I lived in Sugar Land then and barely had water in the street.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I've lived halfway between Houston and Galveston for the most part of the last 45 years. The problem I see is that the whole area has been built up with so many useless shopping centers that the rain waters has no placed to go but into peoples streets, yards, and homes. Houston area is just too big for it's own good. I'm looking forward to getting out of here as soon as I can afford to.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingForABetterLife

League City?

You are right about the amount of urbanization that has taken place in this area. I grew up here and my family has been here for 3 generations. When I was in elementary school, our population as a bit under 20k, it recently passed 100k and is still growing.

Very little forward thinking has been employed when all of the building was taking place and now we are seeing the result of that.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingForABetterLife
And it is till going on. Rice farms taken for houses. The Katy. Fulshear and I10 corridor are becoming nothing but subdivisions. They are also planning on taking West Park toll road all the way to Fulshear.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Yes, I'm in League City. I took a break from living in Texas in the late 1990's to 2014. Galveston Co. has built up so much in that time that there are shopping centers everywhere now.

www.click2houston.com...[/exn ews]a reply to: jadedANDcynical

5 confirmed dead due to the flooding so far.

edit on 4 18 2016 by LookingForABetterLife because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TXTriker

originally posted by: roadgravel

Tropical Storm Allison - over 30 inches of rain but localized to the east side of town. I lived in Sugar Land then and barely had water in the street.

I was in that one. My parents house was NW of downtown, inner loop. Heard a news report about the area flooding and headed over to their place. Spent the night and morning in 4 to 5 feet of water moving people to high ground.

Many downtown parking garages and tunnels were flooded. Took weeks to clean them out. Med center hammered. One giant mess.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Can't help wondering how climate-change deniers in Texas are feeling this morning.

Big Oil gets a dose of Big Muddy. Pity all the poor people will end up suffering the most, as usual.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Checking in from Spring, Texas. I was out yesterday helping people out in the Tomball area. 2920 west of 249 as well as 249 were submerged. Cherry street and Hollderith were also flooded. It was a one way in, one way out situatuon basically. The new glorified 99 Grand Parkway was the Grand River in many sections.

My apartment held up, no damages to my cars either. But at one point about 24 hours ago I could have sworn a twister was in the courtyard. It was a tad scary at times but I still also somewhat enjoyed it lol. Not many people got killed or injured, that is always a good thing. Just mainly idiots trying to drive low cars though high water and ending up stalled out or stuck because they lost the pavement. Even as an ex wrecker driver and knowing almost every crack and pothole on the roads, I still had a few challanges navigating through parts Ive driven many times before.

Just hope to see the water levels recede soon. Many creeks and bayous are still WAY out of their banks.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join