It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Travel advice: Myrtle beach

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   
So my wife and I are going to Myrtle beach next week. I honestly need the time off from work, working 180 feet in the air on frozen ice covered steel.

Just hoping some members can throw out some "must see" type of things or some good restaurants.

I want to go into Charleston. There has to be some history there to see.

Anybody from that area or been there that could throw some advice out would be great

Thanks

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

Beautiful area down there! In my humble opinion, the areas that aren't screaming for the tourist $ are the diamonds in the rough. There is a small beach area called Folly Beach near Charleston. I found it more relaxing than Myrtle beach. There is a friendly, budget happy, and fun campsite within walking distance too.
Watch for home made signs for small fishing charter boat trips. I've been blessed to have met some fantastic souls down there. Enjoy the vibes...visit with the locals and make room for the comfort foods.
Peace be with you :]
k
(Please forgive that I'm bad with names of restaurants and the like...best advice for that area...get off the beaten path!)

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

Find a restaurant called " EAT! " Owned by Robert Irvine. 👍

YUMMY!

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Depends on the part of myrtle beach you are going to. North Myrtle/South/Garden City/Surfside, Charleston is another area all together but so much to see there.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
N. Myrtle Beach is the quiet more family oriented end, my grandmother lives there and I have visited almost every summer since I was a child. Barefoot landing is a nice outdoor shopping center then there is Boardwalk at the beach which is like a bunch of different bars and restaurants in one area, also outdoors and there are ducks and fish you can feed.

There is a House of Blues which hosts all assortment of entertainers, Comedy Cabana which is a chain restaurant where a lot of comedians do shows before they are really big. Lots and lots of putt putt golf, parasailing which I recommend. There is also a gambling cruise that runs out of Cherry Grove or Little river I believe, I've been on that once and was my only time seeing dolphins in the wild.

Charleston is very historic with nice architecture, the overall scenery is beautiful in SC or at least I have always thought so. There is the Grand Ole Opry which does like western shows with display's of horsemanship. If you will have children with you then there are the water parks, go cart tracks, arcades, small amusement parks like family kingdom which has the swamp fox the 5th largest wooden roller coaster in the world I believe. If you want a more quiet and relaxed environment I recommend renting a beach house or ocean view room in North Myrtle Beach definitely.
edit on 16-4-2016 by RainbowPhoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Do Charleston, avoid Myrtle Beach... IMO.
Myrtle Beach is just another tourist trap beach town. If you are into that, I must admit that they have some very nice shallow beaches.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I've stayed in all areas of Myrtle Beach and agree with the above poster about North Myrtle Beach being relaxed and more family oriented. I also used to stay in Garden City Beach a lot, some nine ten years ago it was less touristy than surrounding areas, not sure how it is now.

I like barefoot landing a lot as well.

I don't find the Ripleys Aquarium to be worth the money.

Brook green gardens is beautiful especially this time of year.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Vdubya

Brook green gardens is beautiful especially this time of year.

Ahh yes I forgot about Brook green gardens only been once as a child so I didn't really appreciate but from what I remember I would love to go back now that I'm grown and appreciate art and nature. I also forgot to mention that if you are a golfer there are all kinds of great golf courses.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I have lived here and worked here in Myrtle Beach for about 15 years now and Charleston before that. Some things I would recommend..

Myrtle Beach
1. The "New" boardwalk.
2. "Burkey's" hamburgers on Kings Hwy. GREAT FOOD and Locally owned. (Checkout the burgers and 3 way chili)
3. House of Blues if you like crowds and loud music
4. The first ever "Myrtle Beach Fair" will be going on next week at the Myrtle Beach Speedway. Kind of historic as it is the first one
5. Pawleys Island is a quiet, "hometown" kind of beach. Nice for a quiet getaway.
6. Magnolias on 26th North is the best lunch buffet in town. Locally owned and local grown food. (Wife says it is a "Must Do")

Charleston
1. The downtown is full of history of course.
2. The "Battery" is simply inspiring.
3. Fort Sumter is worth the trip as is the USS Yorktown just North of Charleston in Mount Pleasant
4. Do a carriage ride or bus tour in the downtown as the tour guides are all history buffs and it is really educational and fun.
5. Fine a place call "Breck's Steakhouse" .. Best steaks in town, great price and they make their own Blue Cheese Dressing that is amazing..
6. Checkout "Jestines Kitchen" , Downtown Charleston. Local and a great, rich family history.

Have fun
Hope this helps

Semper

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

I spent a week at Pawleys Island a few years ago. I know a lady that lives down there and we got to go canoeing in the canals a couple of times, down past old rice plantations. Some of the plantation houses have been kept up nicely. Beautiful place to see and it isn't all hustle and bustle, for sure.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Take plenty of cash......you gonna need it.

Text

Text

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I switched to Hilton head island and got a condo down there about 16 years ago. But I still have super fond memories of myrtle. North myrtle used to be a lot nicer but I always enjoyed going down to the pavilion. Still kind of shocked they tore that down.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Thanks everybody. Going to drive into Charleston for a day of sightseeing. Got a room at a smaller, older mom and pop type hotel on the beach. Looks a bit easier to come and go than the big tower hotels. Will look up all the restaurants mentioned too.

Thanks again.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I live in Charleston, there are some great sites and plantations here.

www.boonehallplantation.com...
www.magnoliaplantation.com...
edit on 17-4-2016 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join