It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald's Says its Wage Hikes Are Improving Service

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Paying people more will improve the quality of work they do. Wow this must be real revealing to the super geniuses running things in corporate America.

Of course they have no idea who Henry Ford is.

Fortune

he move reportedly created friction with franchisees, who hire and pay their own workers, as they felt pressure to match the wage hikes. Still, there are early signs it is paying off: In October, McDonald’s reported its first quarter of comparable sales gains in two years. The company built on that growth with a huge 5.7% increase in the following quart

Soooo minimum wage deniers(haha), what do you think?

Does people making at least enough money to buy food with hurt the economy?

People making more money is bad for the economy.

Now tell yourself this mantra over and over and over again and it will eventually become true.

Oh before it comes up...

If the franchise owners don't invest their capital intelligently, such as in investing a business that turns enough of a profit so you don't have to employe slave labor...

Then they shouldn't be in business so I don't want to hear about how this is going to effect the business owners because I would personally never invest in a franchise fast food restaurant I find them morally reprehensible and reflective of a cultural change to large corporate greed and #ty wages.

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Just imagine how awesome service will be if they raise minimum wage to 30 dollars an hour!

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Well duh... you get what you pay for.

Here's what pisses me off. When I cave and get fast food somewhere, I'm often greeted by rather grumpy people who may or may not have spit in my food. This wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't fully aware that I am also subsidizing their wages because their pay isn't enough for them to live off of therefore they need government assistance. So... not only am I paying part of their wages but I'm also paying their bosses and getting sketchy service.

If the companies themselves paid the wages instead of the taxpayers, the employees would be happier, I could trust what's in my veggie burrito, and my taxes might go to something more worthy like universal healthcare or for providing education for the next generation.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

And be circulate back into the economy increasing economic opportunity for potential small business owners like me.

See people don't know that I know the economy because I run a small personal training and boxing business at night teaching classes at a local gym.

Over the last five years most gym owners I know have had to close their doors because no one can afford to train anymore.

Five years ago the market was exploding and gym owners were doing really well.

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 12:15 AM
link   

A decent wage makes people value their job and not want to lose it.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

And it makes for health happier communities.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   

I don't hate the idea raising the minimum wage because given inflation it's far too low and people are hurting, but the entire economy has flowed upwards for however many years while salary has gone nowhere. If the country as a whole wasn't sold out over the same amount of years and gutted by politicians in conjunction with corporations 15 an hour wouldn't even be a issue because people could afford the uptick in cost. I don't like the fact most of America is up #s creek but there's a lot of places that can't afford to run a business like that. It's a #ty situation but the entire economy needs an overhaul that I doubt is coming, just raising the minimum wage isn't a magic bullet to make things better. McDonald's workers I'm sure are working to keep their jobs at that rate but what about the college educated people making about the same doing more meaningful work? they're probably thinking # my job
edit on 16-4-2016 by TSefu because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: TSefu

So you think they would prefer to flip burgers for a living? Try again...

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 12:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

So you think they would prefer to flip burgers for a living? Try again...

Did I say that? I think they'd prefer a real job. There are no real jobs for kids without a college education anymore and it's hard to find one better than making 15 an hour at McDonalds when you graduate now. I don't blame anyone but the politicians and corporations for making us feel like we have to fight each other over the fact a 15 dollar minimum wage isn't really feasible.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 01:00 AM
link   

"what about the college educated people making about the same doing more meaningful work? they're probably thinking # my job"

Yep, that's pretty much what I read from that statement.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Okay, you edited. I think minimum wage is feasible depending on the revenue of the business. Of course there needs to be some flexibility for small business owners and new starters. However, you said "what about the college educated people making about the same doing more meaningful work?". If they're doing more meaningful work then they have obviously got a job in their chosen field, you're contradicting yourself.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Okay, you edited. I think minimum wage is feasible depending on the revenue of the business. Of course there needs to be some flexibility for small business owners and new starters. However, you said "what about the college educated people making about the same doing more meaningful work?". If they're doing more meaningful work then they have obviously got a job in their chosen field, you're contradicting yourself.

You think flipping a burger at McDonalds is meaningful work? You think the people at McDonalds don't wish they could get a better job? You think people who took out maybe $100k dollars in student loans to get an education and have to pay off loans should be making the same(In yes more meaningful jobs) if they can even find a job coming out. Obviously you think raising minimum wage to 15 across the board is going to fix everything. Good for you, I got a unicorn I'd like to sell you. I'd like to see the actual economy as a whole make a comeback but I'm not going to pretend to be smart enough to think I have a golden bullet. Bitch to your politicians, not me. I don't have a problem with helping people if it's feasible.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 01:15 AM
link   
According to the Fortune article, 1 out of 10 McDonald workers in the U.S. got an 89 cents-per-hour raise, before taxes. How can any broad conclusions be drawn from this?

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 01:20 AM
link   

" Obviously you think raising minimum wage to 15 across the board is going to fix everything."

Take a deep breath and read my post again. I'm out, I've got to go to my meaningless job for $17 an hour...

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 01:31 AM
link   

" Obviously you think raising minimum wage to 15 across the board is going to fix everything."

Take a deep breath and read my post again. I'm out, I've got to go to my meaningless job for $17 an hour...

I don't know what you want me to look for so I'm not going to bother. How about you just extend the courtesy of quoting whatever I'm supposed to read when you make it home. It's only fair, you seem good at cherry picking quotes rather than actually responding to the full content.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 01:36 AM
link   

True true then false. I have a BA with 50 grand in debt from a state school. I am in the highest paying gob I have had since I graduated... A pizza cook at 11 dollars an hour. I'm doing what I can to make my life better but the job market is hard.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 01:44 AM
link   

McDonalds has money to throw away. Do you think a mom and pop burger joint can afford to pay their employees $15/hour?

no. It won't do anything but kill the small businesses and inflate prices.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 01:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Just imagine how awesome service will be if they raise minimum wage to 30 dollars an hour!

Dang skippy. I am all for that. Give me a 100% raise.....
Thats what is wrong with today's society. It is no longer work ethics and the drive to be promoted....just give it to me now with no merits so to speak...a gimme society. No wonder foreign nationals always put us down for being lazy and materialistic.

edit on 4/16/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 01:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyosaurus

True true then false. I have a BA with 50 grand in debt from a state school. I am in the highest paying gob I have had since I graduated... A pizza cook at 11 dollars an hour. I'm doing what I can to make my life better but the job market is hard.

What was false? you're basically the poster child for what I'm saying. You used to be able to come out of HS and if you had a good work ethic you could raise family on it. Now it's go to college and if your lucky you can make a living wage. I'm upset with the system in general. America has been sold out by the the political class and the guy's who pulled their strings. I'm trying to say our job market should have been be good enough to support 15 an hour right now for your current job and you should have the job you spent money going to go to school for, but you got sold out. I'm angry at the system but everybody sees left or right. I don't really like any of them

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Of course, machines don't spit in your food. I vote for machinery making the burgers. Go forth, young people, and find a better job that might be worth $15.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join