It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public Zeitgeist, For Lack Of Better Terms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I know I watch too much television, but I ran into a guy just a few minutes ago who had not a clue what Breaking Bad was, at all.

Can anyone here honestly tell me they do not know about that show and at the very least, it's premise?

I get it, it's arguably the best, or not, show, ever, on tele, and your take on that is whatever it is, but how has one lived the last few years in America without at least hearing of this show?

He gave me that blank look dogs do when told to sit. This was a guy who is basically a bartender - it's a gambling joint so yeah, that's kinda his job, so really? This isn't a hate thread, but I'm not understanding how that guy, in that type of job, wouldn't have the slightest clue about BB. Isn't that what their job is?

Even my Mom knows of the show. She's too lazy and hates me so much that she could never watch anything I like but come on, even if you hate the show you know about it, and I know several people who are exactly that.

I guess it happens, but someone who is a bartender, for lack of a better term, doesn't have a clue about this show astounds me.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

I really am not surprised this man has a life outside of the television.

Good on him, others should be more like him.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Some people,like me, choose to avoid the idiot box.

I don't even own a television.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Public Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist seriously?
noun"
"the defining spirit or mood of a particular period of history as shown by the ideas and beliefs of the time."

I think you definitely watch too much TV

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Seen the title a few times while flipping through my channels. But apparently its not about cars and their badly alligned brakes. So I went on to science and history channels.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Yes. I can honestly tell you that I don't know that show or its premise.
I've seen the phrase on the titles of occasional ATS threads, and that is the full extent of my acquaintance.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I cant believe that someone is SO INTO television that they are shocked when someone else is NOT.

SMH Sad times.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 06:22 AM
link   
You don't need to "watch television" to enjoy Breaking Bad. You can own the DVDs/Bluray discs, or stream them off the relevant services.

You should have said, "Say it. Say my name!"

If he said anything other than "Heisenberg..."

Reply: "You're goddam WRONG!"

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   
He doesn't watch television?! Burn him! Literally what I think is the point of the OP.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   

I don't know the premise and never watched it, only briefly have I ever heard the words breaking bad being used next to eachother, true story.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I don't watch tv,ours is not connected to the broadcasting longtime now.We use the screen for games.My daughter's mentioned the show,its about some drug addict/dealer or somesuch,iirc.Only shows i ever watch some episodes of,is if my daughter downloads episodes of BigBang Theory or Two Broke Girls,once in a while.You make it sound like there's something wrong with people who don't find watching tv appealing.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   

I know the show because of the memes more than anything. Never watched any of it at all. I just went through this list: www.imdb.com... and can honestly say I've never heard of half the shows on this supposed "best of the last 16 years." The ones I've actually seen episodes of numbers less than 10. I watched TWD until our local cable company had a fit with AMC and quit carrying it, I watched the Spartacus shows, *some* episodes of GOT, religiously watch Vikings, watched Deadwood while it was on, Rick & Morty, and the Office.

I recognize some names on the list that I see mentioned a lot, but couldn't tell you jack squat about what their theme or genre is. For example, Firefly... I know that was supposedly a big show, but no clue what it was otherwise.

I watch cartoons, some of those paranormal reality shows, Vikings, Ink Master, Black Sails, and sports. That's what I pay way too much every month for.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Huh. I forgot I started this.

Ok, so I'm the only dick around here, except the only people who responded to this are even more dickish than I was. Funny, eh?

"I don't watch television, so I'm superior to you"

I'm also assuming you all don't have this thing called the internet and have NEVER seen the hundreds of memes produced from this show. Ever.

So you don't know squat about the show, what it actually is about, and want to call me out for being me. That's ok, you can't hurt me nor will I be offended. I will never make the claim that I am anywhere near being perfect but I guess all of you guys are.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Okay, I'll play. Yes, it is surprising to know that some people have never heard of Breaking Bad.

Never watched any of it, nor felt compelled to, but I've certainly heard of it and have a rough idea what it's about. Maybe that's what puts me off?

Another one is Game of #ing Thrones.

I hate popular shows.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley
I hate popular shows.

What specifically makes you dislike them? Is it due to the hype surrounding them, or just because so many other people like them that it puts you off?

I could understand a show with a weak plot and bad acting putting you off or a reality show, but Breaking Bad was extremely well written and well acted.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Partly the hype and partly me.

I've got a problem with popular. Especially with music.

For instance, i lived through the disco and punk periods but couldn't get into either genre at the time. Ten years later, couldn't get enough.

I'm sure a decent psychologist could give a pretty simple explanation.

new topics

top topics

join