It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Delta closing in on CSeries deal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 03:47 AM
link   
In what may be a coup for Bombardier, there are multiple reports that Delta is closing on a deal for 75 CSeries aircraft with an option for 50 more. The new aircraft would replace the older MD80 and regional aircraft in their fleet. The order would equal half the total sales currently on the books for the type.

Previous talks with United failed when United chose to buy 737s at a steep discount from Boeing. If the deal goes through it would be both the largest order, as well as being the marquee customer in the US. Delta also has a lot of influence on the market, so if they order them it may convince others to.

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I watched some youtubes on it. Looks like a nice clean sheet airplane.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

It's fantastic to see this beautiful airplane getting the attention that it deserves. Hopefully others will follow suit, and this should lessen the sting for Bombardier about that whole "Jets at Billy Bishop getting nixed" business with Porter.

It'll be interesting to see what this does to the E190 and the A319, and if that ends up happening, it could also open a window for the MRJ to replace some of the CRJs and E175's that are currently in service.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I love that dual HUD. That's a nice looking flight deck.

The Bombardier CSeries Rolls Out but is it A Game Changer?

There's some info on the plane as well as a lot of pictures.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

If the deal goes through, Bombardier has a chance at breaking even. Delta and Emirates are two of the airlines that both manufacturers and markets pay a lot of attention to.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   

And right as some of the older A320s and 737-300's are starting to get long in the tooth...

This could get interesting.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   

An even semi successful third party, in the biggest market out there?

Ya think? Heh.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   

It's just fascinating to me since it's pretty clear that Boeing and Airbus are focused more on the bigger versions of their single-aisle offerings, to the point that we now have A321s and 737-800s and 900s flying transcontinental and transoceanic routes thanks to ETOPS and fuel-sipping engines.

Meanwhile, while Boeing and Airbus have been locked in an arms race to see who can build a better ETOPS 707, Bombardier has snuck in and built a newer, better version of the 737-200/300 and A320/A319, the planes that got the big two's single-aisle fleets started in the first place!

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   

They're doing their best to kill it. That last United deal saw them getting aircraft at one of the biggest discounts I've ever seen.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Doesn't hurt my feelings if they junk the small Embraer jets, like the ERJ-145.

I've been on combat missions that didn't bounce you around as much as a 145. It's like they somehow make the ride unpleasant on purpose.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

I WILL be sad though if it means the end of the E-Jets though, ever since I first saw one in 2005 or so in US Air livery and did a double-take when I realized that it WASN'T just an especially small-looking A319, I've had a soft spot for them and they're probably my favorite short haul jet to fly in.

Then again, the CSeries looks like a 1/2-sized 787 with the 777's knife tail thrown on for good measure, which means it'll be the sexiest looking thing on the tarmac this side of the 787 (until the MRJ arrives, that is)...

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
This would be a welcome departure from Delta's norm of buying up used jets at cheap prices from other carriers. Maybe the new CEO's trying to make a splash.

There's also talk of pairing this order with an A321NEO order.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: justwanttofly

As someone who flies Jetblue all the time, the A321NEO+C100/300 would be an utterly perfect pairing for their current routes and passenger volumes. The E190s are always full, as are the A320s, and upgrading to that pair could help them grab an even bigger share of passenger volumes along their routes without having to change their logistics and schedules at all, especially since their maintenance would be further simplified by adopting a single engine family across their entire fleet.

A beautifully evolutionary growth strategy if ever there was one.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
im new here and as a french canadian, its nice to read some good news about bombardier on ats!!!hopefully the deal goes through.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
There is at least internal discussion going on about a potential CS500 stretch to make it more appealing to mainline carriers.
edit on 4/16/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   

It makes sense that the CS500 would be a part of this deal if they decide to go with it (and Delta might be able to hang it over their head as leverage). If they replaced all the Mad Dogs with CS100s/300s there'd be a capacity vacuum that I'm not sure Delta would be comfortable giving up.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: justwanttofly

They lose 15-20 seats in a straight swap between a 300 and an MD88. I haven't looked at the others.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Bombardier stock has risen 53% since April 11, and they announced they were moving their 1st quarter results up a day to Thursday. Rumors are flying that he deal is done, especially given that there are reports that one of the prototypes will be in Atlanta Thursday.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   

From what I understand, the deal is done it just needs approval from Delta's board which will happen on Thursday. The CSeries has made several visits to ATL in the last couple years.

Also look for an A321 order.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join