It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange noises around WPAFB tonight

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: miniatus

Distance and wind can alter the sound drastically. The F-16 makes some really weird noises flying over.

I know that for sure.. I've been living here since I was 5, I'm 38 now... I've got plenty of experience with the sounds of the various planes that fly over... but I'm a good distance away.. and this has only happened once before, and even then it didn't sound anything like this... the only big thing in common are the flashing red lights that happen at both the base and the base museum several miles away ( which is where I am )

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   

a reply to: CheckPointCharlie

Wright-Patterson was home to many C-5s for years. I'm not sure if they're still there but they'll still fly in and out of there.

Yes I've definitely seen and heard those things flying over head.. ominous as hell .. I may be several miles from the actual base, but they are already on descent when coming over my house.. the whole place shakes .... definitely doesn't sound like that, and even with a plane of that size, I can't hear them take off or land.. it trails off pretty fast once it's out of visual distance

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   
heres what I'm hearing. Took this about 10mins ago.

youtu.be...

Sorry don't know how to imbed on this site.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   
We do engine runs 1 to 2 times a month. I've been up close and about 1/4 mile away at our 2nd building. When I was farther away it sounded odd but exactly like what your describing. Last month we had a PW2000 followed immediately by a PW4000 and it lasted over 4 hours. Pretty normal when replacing whole units or like most of the time in our case after replacing all the turbine blades.

On a side note almost have a fully build baby8 with all new blades. Would love to have it running in the next year or so. Cant imagine what the neighborhood will think.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: CheckPointCharlie
heres what I'm hearing. Took this about 10mins ago.

youtu.be...

Sorry don't know how to imbed on this site.

That's fine.. that's exactly what I'm hearing.. and it's been going now for hours..

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: CheckPointCharlie

The cargo hold is longer than the Wright Brother's first flight.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: 772STi
We do engine runs 1 to 2 times a month. I've been up close and about 1/4 mile away at our 2nd building. When I was farther away it sounded odd but exactly like what your describing. Last month we had a PW2000 followed immediately by a PW4000 and it lasted over 4 hours. Pretty normal when replacing whole units or like most of the time in our case after replacing all the turbine blades.

On a side note almost have a fully build baby8 with all new blades. Would love to have it running in the next year or so. Cant imagine what the neighborhood will think.

But how long do they do it for? this has been going for hours now .. non-stop, and this has only happened twice in the last nearly 20 years.. you'd expect it to be more frequent .. certainly not 2 times a month...

Another commenter posted a recording as well

Edit to give credit
the poster of the much better recording goes to CheckPointCharlie
edit on 4/14/2016 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Yeah I swear, don't laugh because I would never say anything this, but I swear I just heard something like the close encounters theme faintly. Aside from that I hear some faint squeezing type of noise every so often as well. I don't know man, never heard anything like this before.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   
The longest run I remember in recent memory was about 3 hours on a 6000.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   

The longest run I remember in recent memory was about 3 hours on a 6000.

This thing is still going solid at around 4 1/2 hours .. I heard it when I got home and that's been about 4 1/2 hours ago.. I'm going to keep checking until I need to crash.. so 2 more hours.. fortunately my computer equipment drowns out the noise from my room

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   
You said there were red lights everywhere?

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   

It depends on what was done to the engine. A minor oil leak is going to require about a 10-20 minute run. A complete overhaul is going to require several hours of running to ensure problems don't develop as the engine is under strain.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Yeah I swear, don't laugh because I would never say anything this, but I swear I just heard something like the close encounters theme faintly. Aside from that I hear some faint squeezing type of noise every so often as well. I don't know man, never heard anything like this before.

I'm not laughing, from where I am I've heard some extremely strange sounds from whatever is generating that audio, the only way I can describe the sound is creepy.. I know Jet engines and I've never been heard anything quite like this in my many years here .. like I mentioned before, I've been here since I was 5 and I'm 38 now... in fact the video you shot almost looked like my walk way, but I know the mailbox isn't mine lol

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   
How often they do it depends on the facility itself. Believe it or not the military sends out way more to the commercial sector than you might realize. Thus more runs are made locally and not at the base itself. But sometimes, and I believe this is the case for you they will do everything themselves.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   

It depends on what was done to the engine. A minor oil leak is going to require about a 10-20 minute run. A complete overhaul is going to require several hours of running to ensure problems don't develop as the engine is under strain.

Is it unusual that they only do this twice in 20 years? or is that normal.. or does it just depend on which base the plane lands at? .. and is it really realistic for me to be able to hear this? I'm a 12 minute drive with no traffic from the actual base, 7 miles.. and like I said, I never ever hear planes taking off from there, I only hear them going over head.. even when I got sonic boomed on 9/11 ( broke some windows ) ... but even standard takeoffs I only hear them when they are overhead... how can I be hearing this 7 miles away? ..

I know someone mentioned weather and wind conditions.. and I can buy that, but not a consistent steady sound for this long .. I'm just tying to be thorough here.. I know it's most likely something like that.. there's just too many unknowns for me to grasp

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Aren't they building a new huge hanger? Could this be part of the painting process?

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
OMG. You gotta look up in the northern and western sky. There is something way up there flying. Almost overhead. I got a video I'll upload but it's poor as hell. I caught in the western sky. Looked like a star moving. When I stopped recording it was gone but reappeared in the northern sky righ over head.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Exacty, just like breaking in a car motor just alot more fun. About 5 years ago we had a catastrophic failure after a full set of turbines where rebuild and installed,all stages, and it turned out somebody measured the length dimensions wrong, or didn't measure at all. I cant name the afb but they where not happy at all neither where are insurance carriers

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   

How often they do it depends on the facility itself. Believe it or not the military sends out way more to the commercial sector than you might realize. Thus more runs are made locally and not at the base itself. But sometimes, and I believe this is the case for you they will do everything themselves.

And I agree.. wpafb is a major base for the airforce, which is kind of why I would expect it more often.. my only way to explain this away is that the aircraft perhaps needed maintenance and wright pat was the closest and most capable .. it could be that.. but man it sounds chilling.. not like jets .. like a freaky gusting wind with odd sounds thrown in

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   

OMG. You gotta look up in the northern and western sky. There is something way up there flying. Almost overhead. I got a video I'll upload but it's poor as hell. I caught in the western sky. Looked like a star moving. When I stopped recording it was gone but reappeared in the northern sky righ over head.

I'm unable to get out there right now, I'm working in between posts.. can't wait to see it.. when this last happened my brother said he saw something as well but I was driving and it was on his side so I couldn't see it.. this sounds so much like what happened years back

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join