It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Netherlands is making moves to ban all non-electric vehicles by 2025

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I Have a Dutch friend who thinks this won't actually become law.

Mind you I having been driving an electric car for 3 years I'm a total convert.
They are so clean and powerful, also really fun to drive.
I will never buy another ICE car.

I understand range is the biggest issue but it will be solved sooner than you think ( see Tesla model 3 ).
edit on 15-4-2016 by Dr X because: typo

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Mannegishi

Seems like nothing more than a pretty sensible and sane country setting a goal for something that is absolutely sane and sensible.

Then again, I'm often astounded by the bizarre opinions expressed here and it wouldn't surprise me if a couple of pages in this becomes a New World Order plot by Lizard People to take guns from Americans lol

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I am not against going green... I really am not, that said a whole lot could go wrong to throw off the growth of the industry between now and then.

What happens if the projected growth of the technology does not occur to make it as good of an idea as folks think. It wont be the legislatures that suffer, it will once again be the regular guy working 2 jobs to make ends meet.

If they dont build an out into the law in case the technology improvements stall for any reason, its a bad law.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Well, I'll be steering clear of Holland when I'm out on my Triumph then.

Unless they make a cool electric one some day.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

Seems like nothing more than a pretty sensible and sane country setting a goal for something that is absolutely sane and sensible.

Then again, I'm often astounded by the bizarre opinions expressed here and it wouldn't surprise me if a couple of pages in this becomes a New World Order plot by Lizard People to take guns from Americans lol

All orchestrated by Obama.... Naturally

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: crazyewok

I am not against going green... I really am not, that said a whole lot could go wrong to throw off the growth of the industry between now and then.

What happens if the projected growth of the technology does not occur to make it as good of an idea as folks think. It wont be the legislatures that suffer, it will once again be the regular guy working 2 jobs to make ends meet.

If they dont build an out into the law in case the technology improvements stall for any reason, its a bad law.

No I agree which is why I think it should be a soft flexable policy rather than hard law.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 06:43 AM
link   
So does that mean no more sales of construction equipment and airplanes? Those are not going to operate with just a battery and solar panel.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: ketsuko
Not at all practical in much of the US. The distances most Americans think of as a short day trip would become overnight stays if we were forced into electric cars. Heck, my daily commute becomes an overnight trip.

With current8 technology yes.

10 years down the line if batterys give more millage than a standard fuel tank?

And they also cost way, way, way more to replace than a standard tank of fuel. Given what's in an electric car battery, I don't see that changing. Think about putting a new battery in your car now and what it costs, then imagine having to fork over somewhere between $1,500 to $2,000 to replace it every time. Six years is the current battery life.

So right now, you likely have the transmission to repair over the life of your car, now you also have battery to replace.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Possiblely

But then who knows in 10 years?

I don't think the netherlands should have made a hard law like this.

I would of handled it like this:

As soon as the cost a maintince of a normal electric hatch back reachs the cost of a normal combustion hatch back and the range becomes the same then ban the sale of NEW combustion cars (allowing secound hand sale) which would just naturally phase out older cars.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

I don't know what world you live in, but the most affordable electric cars are still twice as expensive as my most expensive car. You mandate I have to have an electric car and I am out of options with two jobs demanding a 40 to 50 mile one way commute, not to mention my son's school is 30 minutes away too.

And no, I cannot move closer. He drives north. I drive south.

And let's not forget where the electricity for these comes from - coal. We do not have the wind or solar capacity to drive the nations cars and are unlikely to at any point in the future. The other alternative is nuclear, but no one likes that one either.

The truth is that there are other alternatives that should be looked at before electric like hydrogen, but for some reason, our politicians like this one, likely because they know they can drastically restrict our movements and control us better if they impose it.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 06:57 AM
link   
This won't become law...

The EU will see this as against the free market and that it is anti competitive.

Even though the environmental air quality benefits would be great.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Loque76

I think living under sea level brings the threat of climate change somewhat closer to home.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join