It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Netherlands is making moves to ban all non-electric vehicles by 2025

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Looks like northern Europe is ditching the oil. Is it a good or bad thing, well i think a monopoly on anything is bad.

Electric vehicles – including self-driving cars – are clearly the future of personal transportation, but the question remains: when does the future begin, exactly? If the Netherlands has its way, we now have an answer. There are moves within the country to ban all petrol and diesel vehicle sales by 2025, meaning only new electric cars would thereafter be approved on Dutch roads – although existing fossil-fuel-based vehicles could continue puttering around until their engines give out.

Link

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Mannegishi
I wouldn't consider one tiny nation as the entirety of Northern Europe.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   

An electric hydrogen fuel cell car/vehicle might do the trick.. However unless a major break through in batteries comes along they are just pissing on a battery charger IMO. Actually many places in Europe where people live in well designed cities a short range electric vehicle would work just fine... Those who live and commute might not be all that happy though. Agenda 21/30 has a goal of putting everyone in super cities if I remember correctly... Might be a good way of starting the move.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   
If Tesla motors gets any better at making batteries, the electric car WILL be a viable alternative to fossil fuel....
I think 200 mi on a charge is standard right now....
The technology for batteries is getting very much better.....
They offer a household sized battery already....

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   
people forget what generates 80% of the worlds electricity.

its a right move. nonetheless, one can only assume big shot energy companies already have a plan for electricity; this is just part of the methodical milestones in their plan

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Damn I didn't even know Neanderthal's could drive?

Oh? Netherlands, sorry. I guess I should a put my glasses sooner. Now it makes sense!
edit on 14-4-2016 by HUMBLEONE because: Can't see none too good

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Well, with Toyota halting production of internal combustion engines by 2030 this is just another sign of where it is all heading. (Sorry, have to be the fanboy): nuclear fusion. Everything will run on electricity. If one small country jumps first... well, good for them! It is the G8 countries that need to jump before anybody starts running through the streets setting trash cans on fire and smashing store front windows.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   

While it's an extreme proposal, a majority of the lower house in the Dutch parliament supported the motion, meaning there's a chance it could be passed into law. Under the plan

It's a non achievable effort , I think ..

Who's going to pay for my new electric car , My government ?

" The Netherlands is making moves to ban all tax evasive companies" would be more achievable...

edit on 0b42America/ChicagoThu, 14 Apr 2016 18:50:42 -0500vAmerica/ChicagoThu, 14 Apr 2016 18:50:42 -05001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   
They will need to burn a lot more coal to charge those toxic batteries if that's the case.

Coal electricity is much more toxic than petroleum burning cars. That is why electric cars are actually worse for the environment in most of the US, particularly the east coast.
edit on 14-4-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Here is an article from a few months ago showing their reliance on coal despite well intentioned plans to move to renewable energy.

If they force current electric cars now, they will have to delay closing coal plants and increas toxic coal consumption.

REPORT: DUTCH CITIES LARGELY USE COAL POWER AND NOT SUSTAINABLE ENERGY

Large Dutch cities advocate for sustainability and promises to use more sustainable power, in practice they still largely opt for cheaper coal power, according to a survey done by Dutch newspaper AD.

Many of the Netherlands’ cities will be using power generated with coal plants from providers E.ON and GDF Suez in the coming years, according to the newspaper.

www.nltimes.nl...

edit on 14-4-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Engineers can design TIDAL power generators that can and will supply much of Europes power in the greener future....
The North Sea countries are poised to break into this un tapped source....
Tidal, Wave action, and other green sources are certainly engineerable, and highly practical...
The Electric corporations interlocked with those who fuel their gen sets are sucking the most out of their infrastructure like a drowning man gulps air...
believe me , we will have to tear the means to make power for humanity from the hands of the corporations.....
Forced from their teet, they will like the vampires they are, try to control the next generation of power producing tech....
There is immense potential in the Ocean, especially around the broken North Sea coastline, with their deep fjiords and broken island channels....

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Seeing that I could ride my bike across the entire country in a day I don't think k they need real cars there anyway.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: bandersnatch
If Tesla motors gets any better at making batteries, the electric car WILL be a viable alternative to fossil fuel....
I think 200 mi on a charge is standard right now....
The technology for batteries is getting very much better.....
They offer a household sized battery already....

If I recall correctly, Telsa offers the equivalent of a household battery generator as an option when purchasing. Receiving over a quarter million pre-orders on it's latest 'average american' car speaks volumes to the potential of the technology, but moreover, the Telsa company. I like these latest innovations very much.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

An electric hydrogen fuel cell car/vehicle might do the trick.. However unless a major break through in batteries comes along they are just pissing on a battery charger IMO. Actually many places in Europe where people live in well designed cities a short range electric vehicle would work just fine... Those who live and commute might not be all that happy though. Agenda 21/30 has a goal of putting everyone in super cities if I remember correctly... Might be a good way of starting the move.

Cars that runs on CO2 is much better than Hydrogen. Why create more water than needed on this planet?
www.nbcnews.com...

edit on 14-4-2016 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I like to do autocross and track days on the weekends with the gas car I built. As long as no one takes that away from me, then they can do whatever.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Not at all practical in much of the US. The distances most Americans think of as a short day trip would become overnight stays if we were forced into electric cars. Heck, my daily commute becomes an overnight trip.
edit on 14-4-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
They will need to burn a lot more coal to charge those toxic batteries if that's the case.

How much compared to the amount of coal burnt in the process of refining fuel ?

Coal electricity is much more toxic than petroleum burning cars. That is why electric cars are actually worse for the environment in most of the US, particularly the east coast.

Does that take into account of major oil spills like the Gulf spill ?

edit on 14-4-2016 by Robbo2006 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Not at all practical in much of the US. The distances most Americans think of as a short day trip would become overnight stays if we were forced into electric cars. Heck, my daily commute becomes an overnight trip.

With current8 technology yes.

10 years down the line if batterys give more millage than a standard fuel tank?

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I wonder how that will hit tourism? A lot of foreign visitors arrive by car and coaches.

??

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I see an opportunity for a car manufacturer to design cars where the fuel cell can be easily swapped out as well as profitable service stations across the country to do the swaps.

They have a good public transportation system between buses and trains I imagine car rental companies will be bussy.

I wish the US would invest in a public rail system connecting cities.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join