It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rape Culture

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+29 more 
posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Let me first start off by saying that I love women. I also love equality. Regardless of race, gender, religion, political leanings, etc. Every individual is just that, an individual. And every individual should have the same rights (and obstacles) as everyone else.

I hope we can all at least agree on that.

Now that's out of the way. I want to open a discussion on modern day feminism. Specifically the myth that we live in a so-called "rape culture."

twitchy.com...

One tweet says:

I'm sorry, but women shouldn't need to take self defense classes to protect themselves from rape #MissUSA

Feminist activists seem to be completely ignorant in this instance. In other words they want to be the victim. The mere thought of taking any steps to fight back (self-defense) is seen as counterproductive to their cause.

Because we live in a "rape culture" *cough*

No, we don't

Can you imagine if a burglary victim were to suggest that instead of getting an alarm system, or even daring to lock their front door, the best solution would be to educate all potential burglars on why home invasion is wrong?

To suggest that the crime committed by one man (disregarding rapes committed by females) needs to be fixed by all men is ridiculous.

We do not live in a rape culture. In fact it's the opposite. I and the majority condemn rapists. In fact I'd say that in most western societies rapists are looked at as the lowest of the low.

To suggest that the only way to end the crime of rape is to treat all men as rapists, unless they've proven otherwise, is the epitome of thought crime.

Furthermore to claim that you need not worry about potential crime, because this potential crime shouldn't be happening in the first place..?

What kind of logic is that?
edit on 13-4-2016 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

I don't know why my links not working.

Bad source or am I dumb?

ETA got it.

Had to forego my link title which was "hypocrisy"

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I really do get tired of people acting like all men are rapists. Feminists (new age) are dicks.

These are the people who will scream if you judge any other group by the actions of a few too. I really get the impression a lot of the women who hold these views just hate men.
edit on 1320160420161 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   

I was wrong, do this

Link

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Everybody should take a self defense course...nothing to do with rape...just a smart thing to do

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

How misogynistic!

Lol like I said I'm all for equality, let's just keep it across the board.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: coldkidc

I agree.

Let's hope Nevada uses her media tour to reiterate that teaching girls self defense is NOT the best way to protect against assault #MissUSA

Some don't.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   

How misogynistic!

Sorry about that, my peen automatically makes me a misogynistic and rapey.

+9 more 
posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Im not a feminist but when it comes to right to defend yourself. How women dresses shouldn´t be a cause to minimizing her value as a member of society nor reduce her value in the eyes of the law.
I have been in US and what i found very odd was, when people commented young teenage girls way to dress themselves as a "asking for being raped" WHAT ??? .. Now you see.. it is imbedded even in average verbal communication.

Everyone has a personal space, no matter how they look or dress shouldn´t be a cause of a rape nor reduce a reputation, and rape when it happens should be judged as a crime it is and something mentioned before shouldn´t be a reason for perpetrator to get "out of jail card".

In other hand.. rape culture DO exist, and is growing in Europe but reasons to that is more due immigration and cultural differences and also just to cause havoc and fear among "native people". Sweden is rape capital of the World for example. As once again you can see rape is a about power and control.

I am all for equal rights for men and women.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

when people commented young teenage girls way to dress themselves as a "asking for being raped" WHAT ??? .. Now you see.. it is imbedded even in average verbal communication. 

I don't see. Never heard that. As a resident of the US.

In other hand.. rape culture DO exist

Was rape ever advocated?

Seems like it would be in a rape culture.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   

I've actually seen that a number of times.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   

You've seen instances where rape was advocated?

Let's hear them.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Take a vacation and read some news from Scandinavia for example.. it might open your eyes. Never heard of taharrush game ? Then think what could be possibly be advocated by that ?

Advocated are you serious? You mean when rapist is caught he gets a punishment? There are a lot rapes which are never reported as it depends on complainant does she or does she not press charges. If not charged rapist gets " out of jail card " but raped is suffering lot of mental issues and even physical issues after rape. Victim of the rape can spend rest of her life in mental prison after that.

What about campus rapes (for example in US and in UK ).. do they happen ? Is it cultural, what migh lead to those ? The issue is much deeper than you seem to see.

Hundreds of female Cambridge students have been raped or sexually assaulted, says shock survey, but almost none went to police

As many as 8.4 per cent of women said they were attempted assault victims
Findings based on responses from more than 2,000 Cambridge students
Vast majority - 88 per cent - did not report attacks, and only two told police

More than one in thirteen women at Cambridge University has been sexually assaulted, a shocking new survey has found.

According to the study, women at the prestigious institution are routinely groped, molested and even raped - but overwhelmingly do not even report the attacks.

The survey, which received over 2,000 responses, revealed that the majority of sexual assaults happen inside the university's historic colleges, where students typically live for the majority of their studies.

Of the women who responded to the online survey, 8.4 per cent said that they had experienced attempts to seriously sexually assault them.

However, the vast majority - 88 per cent - of victims did not report the assault, and only two students involved the police, with most contacting university staff instead.

An anonymous rape victim who answered the survey said she did not report her attacker because she was so certain nothing would come of it.

She said: 'I have no reason to believe that my report will be taken seriously, be investigated or result in a conviction. On the contrary I have every reason to believe that he would be acquitted.'

LINK

1 in 6 female undergrads sexually assaulted on MIT campus, survey finds

In an unprecedented, broad-based survey, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology polled students about their attitudes and experiences with sexual assault on campus. One in six female undergraduate students who responded to the survey say they’ve experienced sexual assault on the Cambridge, Mass. campus, although fewer than 5 percent reported the experience to authorities or to the school.

MIT released its comprehensive survey results yesterday. The poll is the first of its kind for the MIT community, and it goes beyond the scope of similar studies at other colleges and universities. Nearly 11,000 undergraduate and graduate students were surveyed last spring, and 35 percent responded.

LINK

There is much much more.. are you still saying there isn´t such a thing ?

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Just sing this song with me, if they don't like it,then leave this long/short haired country boy alone..

edit on 14-4-2016 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

long/short haired

Dies ist eine mullet

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 12:41 AM
link   

I've seen instances where people said a young woman that dressed skanky should have expected it. I'm sure I could drum up some Google results, but I'm talking anecdotal comments and I can't prove them.

I've never heard anyone (outside of Islam) advocate rape, but I have seen people say "she was asking for it".

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 12:57 AM
link   

So the examples it seems are few and far between..

Hardly an example of a "culture"

Wouldn't you agree?

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 12:57 AM
link   

I know that there are plenty of sickos out there but any man who does't instinctively know the difference between good sex and rape is just that a sicko.

Respect for the other sex both for boys and girls is sadly now something that should be taught in school = regardless of culture or religion because we now have a multicultural world.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I agree that women shouldn't feel they need to take a self defence course.

It's sad that so many do.

That said, there is a poisonous element in society that objectifies women a sluts and suchlike which gives some sort of twisted permission to deviant men to act on their basest desires.

Teaching respect and boundaries, civilised behaviour is the only reasonable measure in the face of a massive lack of parenting.

I've brought my boys up as I was, to understand that it is abhorrent to force yourself on another.
I'm no angel, my eyes are on sticks when I see a hot woman walk by, I've spent my share on strippers in the past and ogled the centrefolds in bike mags like any other bloke.
I have never once felt the urge to rape anyone though and have no friends that have either.

Maybe it's just down to whether you are a man or not...Most rapists look like they wouldn't last 5 minutes in a proper fight.

+12 more 
posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 01:12 AM
link   
This idea about a woman's attire 'asking to be raped'. Bear with me:

So John Q, an executive in midtown Manhattan, wears a $3000 suit, a rolex, a diamond stud in his ear under his perfectly coiffed overpriced haircut.

"Don't walk through those ghetto streets, man," his friends warn him. "Especially at night! Not looking like that!"

Why should my clothing matter? He wonders.

He walks through those streets. He gets mugged. Because there might have been thousands of people living in the few blocks that he walked, but at least 1 of them was Bad.

(Analogy: young woman dresses sexy and goes to frat boy party.)

Option 1: We mourn the world where no matter how often we tell bad people, "Just say NO!" they keep being bad, and simultaneously we set up an emotional counseling for John who could not possibly have predicted anything bad would have happened to him and now believes that probably all people who live on streets running north-south are predators.

Option 2: We say John, didn't your mamma teach you ANYTHING? What kind of person dresses like that and then walks down a street like that and has no foresight it might be a problem? Of course they committed a crime and it's bad, nobody argues that they're criminals and you should be able to dress as you please, but what kind of no-respect-for-your-own-well-being can't even put a little self-protective behavior in place by thinking ahead and facing "reality" in such situations?

Feminists claim they should be able to waltz down streets naked and not be in danger of even inappropriate comments never mind rape. I love that world! I also love fairies and unicorns. I also love the idea that people like John could walk down any street with gold hangin' off him all over and not be in danger of even panhandlers let alone people who want to take it from him, because by damn that is against the law. Alas that world doesn't exist either.

And until that world exists for John -- and while we can all say that John should know better, and behave like an adult with a degree of self-protection -- I don't think we have the right to complain that the similar world does not exist for women either, or dismiss that women also have brains and as such should probably be expected to use them. It's a lovely idea on paper that what we dress like shouldn't matter to others, it really is. But this particular complaint is just not appropriate when seen in context.

RC

PS It goes without saying that there is no such thing as 'she asked for it by how she dressed.' There is no law, NONE WHATEVER, that mitigates rape because the woman was dressed sexy. What does exist is a justice system that believes prior to imprisoning, enslaving, possibly injuring and killing, and utterly annihilating the life of an otherwise innocent until proven guilty person such as the man accused, that there be a trial. And if the man accused says he had no intention of rape and believes it was consensual sex, then they're going to have to argue it out. I didn't make the Constitution I am merely pointing out that this becomes a he-said vs. she-said situation. In that situation, that is where the consideration comes in, and it is NOT about "whether rape is ok" -- rape is never ok -- it would merely be about whether it was legitimately rape in the first place.

edit on 14-4-2016 by RedCairo because: PS

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join