It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Idea what kind of Hawk this may be?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I just saw this beauty fly into my peripheral vision from inside my house and got up to see where he went.

I'm guessing it is a Red Shoulder Hawk? I really don't know and was hoping someone here might know.

I live in Okeechobee Florida now so Ive been getting a lot of shots of the wild life around here, hawks included, but this one just seemed so regal in its pose.

I'm amazed I got this good of a picture considering how far away he was. So hard to be steady with such a long zoom. Plus I was shooting it through my door window.

I posted the second picture so you can see how far away he was. May be a she, don't know how to tell quite frankly!

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Looks like a falcon to me.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
that would be a red shouldered hawk. you can tell by the distinct red markings on its shoulders.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
That's almost definitely a young red-shouldered.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
You can tell if its a male or a female by the color of its breast. males ... i think anyways... are more orange/red while the females tend to be whiter. nice zoom by the way.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: onehuman

Birds of prey... I love how she/he stands there looking so stoic

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Wait a second the first picture is a zoom in of the second one? Is your camera bionic ? Either way those are two beautiful pictures

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   

It is indeed a Red Shouldered Halk

edit on 4 13 2016 by Quantum12 because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   

He/She is beautiful!

Thanks!

Great photo!

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Birds of prey... I love how she/he stands there looking so stoic

Stoic, yes. 'Regal' also comes to mind.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Hey you would know for sure. Birdie

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Yes, regal was the word I used too! I took the picture the old fashion way and used a real camera, a Cannon, so yes, a bit better zoom than my phone for sure!

So, I'm guessing this is the same bird. I only managed to get one shot off before she flew away. I was still trying to get the camera set some so it is a bit blurry. Figures, closer shot, but still from my door window.

I'm saying female because someone said they were lighter bellied. She seem to be pretty light colored in this shot.

Thank you folks for the compliments too btw. I have all kinds of Crane and Heron shots too if anyone would like to see them.

I have always loved birds, but mostly just to watch them around my feeders. Guess I'm going to be a bit more of a bird watcher now in my wonder years! lol Who knew? !

edit on 4/13/16 by onehuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

I think the biggest difference between male/female is size with the female being larger.

Although I don't believe it is very detectable. (matter of a couple of inches/lb or two)

Bird watching is good for the soul!

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Its a phenomena ive remarked on a time or two.....
As one ages there comes a time in your life when all kinds of birds become of interest to you....
Usually after your productive forties but any age is possible...

I went through this in my 40s and 50s but have actually gotten a bit less dedicated....
I remember standing outside in below zero by the feeder for hours with food in hand to get to know my local birds better,(and them to get to know me) it worked better than I ever hoped it would and was worth the sacrificed frostbite....

I made friends with several species who lost their fear of me personally....
The nuthatch mom would bring her offspring and teach them I wasn't a threat and coax them down to my outstretched hand...
At one point I had three baby swallow orphans I raised....they used to snuggle up in my beard when I came home from work, and sleep there....
Nothing in the world makes one feel any better than something like that.....
Two ravens, (Heckyl and Jeckyl) come to my boat every morning for their daily slice of whole wheat bread these days....
They land on the rail and stare into the window till I get off my duff and go throw them a crust or two....
edit on 13-4-2016 by bandersnatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: bandersnatch

That is a beautiful time you've had with your local feathered friends!

You must be a kind soul for them to trust you...

I must be ancient! I've loved birds for many years...

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I love herons. When I lived in Michigan my friends and I used to take the canoe down the Kalamazoo river. Blue herons would swoop over us and perch up ahead. When we passed them they would swoop over us again and follow us downriver in that way. It was the coolest thing ever.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Wowoe, you've got some kind of camera. Nice.
edit on 13-4-2016 by breakingbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Oh it's so beautiful! I just love hawks! Thanks Honey for sharing this!

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Nice picture! I want to steal your property.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

The property is nice.

Come on my friend change the shaking face and make her shake your face lol

top topics

<<   2 >>

join